Toom Time!

Lee White

Hi Guys from sunny Colorado (at least today)!

My entry is the Tamiya kit, converted using Dr. Frank Mitchell's tutorial, and the cAM sheet of alcock and Brown's commemorative markings, which may or may not change, we'll see. I've been following all the other builds- They look great! I'll post pics as the build progresses.

DSCF0776.jpg

Hi guys,

thanks for the welcome, and thank you Derek for pointing out the origin of the 'Toom moniker- I believe that it only applies (applied?) to the British Phantoms, having never heard the term used by Americans to describe US planes. more pics when I have 'em!

Lee

Hi Lee,

Good to see im not the only mad person tackling this project. You have managed to get the rear airframe nailed. Much better than my effort. As you can see from my post, I am going down a different process.

What are you planing to do about the engines? That I believe is the hardest part. I have done the front air intakes and that was not really an issue

Hi Lee,

Good to see im not the only mad person tackling this project. You have managed to get the rear airframe nailed. Much better than my effort. As you can see from my post, I am going down a different process.

What are you planing to do about the engines? That I believe is the hardest part. I have done the front air intakes and that was not really an issue

hi Spindrift,

The engines will be made exactly as the tutorial shows- Why re-invent the wheel? :lol: The only thing that I'm going to try and do differently is the intakes- I hope to mix Dr. Mitchell's method with Ruzlkampf's technique for getting rid of the seams, which are unbelievable in their poor fit. If I can pull off the intakes as hoped, I'm thinking of bailing on the alcock and Brown scheme, and building a FG.1, with the flaps dropped, and the nosegear at max extention. Needless to say, if I can't get the intakes fixed, the last thing I want to do is point the nose skyward for all the world to see the messy intakes! :innocent:

hi Spindrift,

The engines will be made exactly as the tutorial shows- Why re-invent the wheel? :lol: The only thing that I'm going to try and do differently is the intakes- I hope to mix Dr. Mitchell's method with Ruzlkampf's technique for getting rid of the seams, which are unbelievable in their poor fit. If I can pull off the intakes as hoped, I'm thinking of bailing on the alcock and Brown scheme, and building a FG.1, with the flaps dropped, and the nosegear at max extention. Needless to say, if I can't get the intakes fixed, the last thing I want to do is point the nose skyward for all the world to see the messy intakes! :innocent:

I expect you will need to drop the fronts slats on the wings as well. I will be putting intake covers on mine ( easy option I know). Will use the WH seamless intakes when I make the FGR2. PM me if you need any docs as I have some I can send you.

great start so far! Where might one find Dr. Mitchell's tutorial if one were so inclined to look? I haven't seen it yet and i'm afraid i might be re-inventing the wheel! Looking forward to seeing more of this one..

Cheers!

Jerry

great start so far! Where might one find Dr. Mitchell's tutorial if one were so inclined to look? I haven't seen it yet and i'm afraid i might be re-inventing the wheel! Looking forward to seeing more of this one..

Cheers!

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

The tutorials were here on LSP, but seem to have disappeared, but fear not! Dr Mitchell is a member of LSP, (member name fmitche) and he has the whole shebang on a big zip file. Just PM him and I think he'll send it to you- It is pretty straight-forward, just follow along and you will have saved $1,000 on the WH kit. Hope to see YOUR Brit Phantom on LSP soon!

Lee

Cheers!

Jerry

Try this link, its for part 4 but has the links for 1,2,3

FGR2