Tamiya tools

Monty Python

I'd be interested in replies to this. Are their tools worth the obvious premium they sell at?

Having said that, and glanced over my work area, I have the Tamiya scriber - it is very good and I've used it for several years (note that it is made by OLFA - actually has that brand mark on the body).

I imagine they brand items from other manufacturers which meet their quality demands. My interest lies in their cutters (sprue, etch etc). Anyone have a view on these?

Matt

I have the Tamiya scriber

cutters

I have the Scriber, a saw and the cutters for sprue.

Scriber is good...although I'd ensure I have one of Radu's Scrib-R as well...then you're set

Cutters..fine, good quality but ultimately no better than another brand I have.

Saw...good but somewhat similar to the scriber. I feel its a pretty hefty tool. Radu's really thin PE ones are great.

So far they have seemed to last. They do seem good quality but price can vary...they can sometimes be found on special.

With all sincerity I don't think you can go past Radu's saws and scribers. They are just such well thought out flexible tools. That being said, if you could have both then that's not such a bad thing either.

HTH

Matty

I lived in Japan for a few years and got back into modeling out there after stopping during my teenage years......no better place to start modeling again.....

Out there, the only modeling tools to pick up at local hobby shops are packaged by Gunze, Tamiya, and Hasegawa. All three re-badge/re-package tools made by other companies, sometimes American (like Tamiya airbrushes, which are mostly Badger), sometimes other countries, and sometimes even Japanese (Gunze airbrushes are mostly Iwatas).

They tend to use very high quality products, as they consider their reputations to be extremely important. You'd be safe buying just about anything any of the big Japanese companies put their name on.

That said, I don't consider the expense worth it if you can find the equivilent tool from it's original maker. Going back about once a year for work now, I have seen some tools that I haven't seen anywhere else and had nothing but good experiences with them.

BTW, UMM, run by John Vojtech (the guy who seems to win every nationals he goes to and a great guy to deal with) makes the best razor saw I've ever used.

Chris

I just use exacto razor saws and have been quite pleased with the Squadron scriber. I usually make scribers to suit a need though so it is less important to me to find a certain manufacturer.

The Tamiya sprue cutter was an expensive disappointment. I use it as a general purpose cutter now. Mostly copper wire. I prefer the Xuron cutter, half the price and superior performance.

Just my two cents.

Matt

My favorite scriber is the Hasegawa (ex-Trimaster) ones. They make two thicknesses. I haven't tried Radu's yet, but have several others. The Hasegawa scribers work great for opening panels or for conversions, it is very sharp and pulls a plastic thread away not just leave a canyon.

I also use the UMM razor saw, it is also very good. For a rivet tool, I like Radu's best along with a set of jeweler's beading tools for areas where I need rivet by rivet work. For sprue cutting, I got a set of very fine Japanese made flush cut nippers (as well as an assortment of pliers) at a beading show my wife drug me to. Really high quality tools. Always keep your eyes open!

I have a few Tamiya Tools that I use....

High Grade Spruce cutters - Hands down the best ones I have ever used!

File Set

and HGIII Airbrush - I use this all the time now!

Hasegawa also makes some nice stuff!

Best Scriber I have is the Bare Metal Scriber... I have to try to remember what the website is.... and I have a Tamiya one also... Never gets used now....

Edited by moeggo

The Tamiya sprue cutter was an expensive disappointment. I use it as a general purpose cutter now. Mostly copper wire. I prefer the Xuron cutter, half the price and superior performance.

Now, this really is a surprise to me, as i swear by my Tamiya side cutter for plastics! Used some cheaper ones before i leapt over my shadow and bought the Tamiya one. One of the best tools i ever bought! I can cut a sprue this close to the part i need that after cutting mostly it just takes a few wipes with a sanding stick to remove any remaining flash.

Are you sure to have the side cutter for plastics? There should be the words "For plastics" printed onto one of the jaws.

Thomas