1:72 U-boat bunker

LSP_K2

That's actually kind of funny, how can I say this correctly and politely (as it is intended). That picture is so "un-German" i.e. totally disorganized and messy?

I spend A LOT of time in Germany, I absolutely love it there....

You just don't see this there, everything is neat and tidy and has it's purpose, literally everywhere, unless I've been sheltered from it all these years?

Under ordinary circumstances I'd agree, but in wartime I suppose neatness was of a lesser importance. I've seen many wartime photos of armored units getting resupplied, and speed oftentimes seemed to be the order of the day there too, rather than tidiness. (There is much about routine bunker activities that are still unknown to me, so I'll just have to try and make it look as (realistically), busy and perhaps somewhat chaotic as I can.)

don't forget to load the scale saurkraut!

I don't know about that, but I'll probably add some sausages, as they were (or at least seemed to be), a quite common food source.

If you can find a copy of it, the book "Type VII U-boats" by Robert C. Stern is an excellent account of what it was like on a U-boat. He talks about how after a short time the fresh food was consumed and sausage and Kraut became the main course. I had also read somewhere that the empty kraut cans were kept and often later used as "honey buckets" which under attack would often spill and became a permanent part of the smell of the ship.

Bruce

If you can find a copy of it, the book "Type VII U-boats" by Robert C. Stern is an excellent account of what it was like on a U-boat. He talks about how after a short time the fresh food was consumed and sausage and Kraut became the main course. I had also read somewhere that the empty kraut cans were kept and often later used as "honey buckets" which under attack would often spill and became a permanent part of the smell of the ship.

Bruce

Don't have that one, but I know why we called them pig boats.

On 4/16/2012 at 4:40 AM, MARU5137 said:
Good work..Keep it coming........ You are Doing so well and I can't wait for the end result.. :piliot:

And now I have also just learnt why they are called Pig Boats... :hmmm: :innocent:

Thanks, Maru. If it turns out as well as I hope, it'll certainly please me a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

No bananas?

Excellent work mate - my U boat I think im going to do out to sea rearing up on the waves (yes i know modelling cliché for ship builders right) i dont give a toss!

Love your work mate keep plugging away!

Ads