1:72 U-boat bunker

LSP_K2

On 3/10/2012 at 10:01 PM, Typhoonattack1 said:

(I really don't know why I'm so obsessed with this recently, but I certainly am.) OK, I've now begun adding the representative corrugated sheeting that was suspended between the transverse trusses that were embedded in bunker roof, as well as strips to represent the bottoms of the trusses themselves. I don't believe the trusses or the sheeting was galvanized, but instead was probably painted to prevent corrosion, so I'll most likely go for a reasonably clean appearance in this area.

.010 x .060 strips were used to represent truss angle bottoms (scale 4" wide), with truss center lines at 1", (a scale 6'). It's a guess, but a fairly decent guess I think. (This particular piece is completely screwed up, and will probably be trashed.)

GMPQ3W.jpg

HMMM....looks kinda like revetment wall material. Just sayin'.............Harv :hmmm:

HMMM....looks kinda like revetment wall material. Just sayin'.............Harv :hmmm:

While at the LHS today, I checked to see if they had the Plastruct material I was looking for in regards to revetments, but were OOS.

I finally figured out something that had been bugging me for a while. On most post WWII photos I've seen, there's a row of (mostly), empty brackets along bunker wall, up fairly high. In my Schiffer book on these bunkers, I spotted a workman installing the bunker lights and associated conduits while standing on wooden beams that were supported by these brackets.

So I decided to crank out some "bunker bits" this afternoon; control panel, junction, fuse, and switch boxes, squirrel cage blower (for venting of diesel fumes), and one of the bunker lights. (Panel covers will all be trimmed closer once thoroughly dry.) Still much to do in regards to internal "stuff".

hcki5s.jpg

On 3/11/2012 at 6:25 PM, MARU5137 said:

Kevin

INSPIRATIONAL work.. :clap2: :clap2:

Thanks, Maru, I'm glad somebody likes it. Work continues (at a snail's pace), on the conning tower. The problem of missing parts continues to plague me.

EiWRzb.jpg

Kool,

What parts are you missing?

So far, the cover for the port antenna box, the triangular piece on port side that houses the intake, the forward (elevated) manway, and a semi circular piece that installs underneath the smaller periscope.

Work continues (at a snails pace), on conning tower.

A snails pace? Seems like you are flying through this one. Me, I model at glacier speed. :blink:

This is a monumental build, and I am also enjoying every update. Very inspirational work Kevin!

After surfing several different ship modeling forums yesterday, I've come to the conclusion that U-997 did not have the squiggle camo that so many modelers have depicted on this particular boat. The markings for this particular boat are still pretty cool though, and I'll probably proceed, using U-997 markings.

Now that I found my extra roll of Walnut veneer, I took the opportunity to work on the base. First coat of linseed oil (I love the smell of that stuff), has been added, now I can start mitering the bunker portions to get a clean fit to the base.

hTOzR4.jpg

OK, I'm not really sure what these vertical pieces are called (hull supports probably), but I've gone ahead and added them, (above saddle tank). (I realize full well that this area should be open, but it weakens the upper portion of the hull considerably to do so, so I didn't bother. Once painted, I doubt anyone will notice the difference.)

ixGlvz.jpg

Very Nice Kevin. She's starting to look like a proper boat now. :speak_cool:

Oh the smell of Linseed Oil in the morning, the smell of victory!!!!

Can't believe you are putting all the light points in as well!!!! Are you going to wire them up and light them up, that would be cool!!!

Happy Days - Taff biggrin.gif

Very Nice Kevin – She's starting to look like a proper boat now. :speak_cool:

Oh the smell of Linseed Oil in the morning – the smell of victory!!!!

Can't believe you are putting all the light points in as well!!!! Are you going to wire them up and light them up – that would be cool!!!

Happy Days - Taff :D

Thanks a bunch. As to the lights, no, they won't be lit. Since they're on the back wall of the display, they'd just shine into the eyes of anyone observing I think. I'll use MVP lenses there instead.