1:72 U-boat bunker

LSP_K2

Still not sure on a specific scheme/boat number, but I'm ever so slightly leaning towards 997. If I do this scheme, the squiggles will be a very important part of the paint scheme, so I sprayed a chunk of the previously discarded hull, then drew some squigglies with a dark grey Prismacolor pencil. Though this is a little rough, I think with a little effort, it could look OK. (Still debating.)

H25e94.jpg

On 3/8/2012 at 8:42 AM, JRutman said:

This is going to be one heck of a dramatic dio.

J

Thanks, Jerry, always nice hearing your thoughts. I'm glad you like it. Yesterday was a very unproductive day for me for some reason, the only thing getting done on this being the replacement of molded handles with wire on the mine tubes.

h99T78.jpg

One of the things that bugged me about the first kit I built was the nose area. Revell sort of just faked it here, so I decided to take a crack at fixing it up. This should look lots better once puttied and cleaned up.

s6XlwD.jpg

What to do with the roof has been bothering me for some time, and today I figured it out. I have large sections of 2" (12' in 1:72 scale), pink foam insulating material that can serve as the roof proper (may need to be beefed up a bit to the 15'-18' range), with balsa foam serving as the thick concrete under-hang at bunker entrance. This is just a crude mockup, with proportions still needing to be finalized, but it amply illustrates the concept.

SRxLIo.jpg

Believe it or don't, this represents roughly an hour of work. Weld seam added to spray shield, anchor plates for handrails, one of five hatch covers added, and both pintle bases for anti-aircraft guns. (I may redo the handrail attachment points, as they look a bit large to me.)

EKizRe.jpg

I decided to get some work done on the layout this afternoon. The base has been narrowed (and squared), so as to not have unnecessary acres of water that serve no purpose. Roof (first layer), has been cut to shape. I've also added one of the bomb lattice support beams (partial), just to get a sense of proportion. (I have several photos that indicate there was sufficient room underneath the transverse upper beams (not yet built), for a normal sized person to walk through upright, so the support beams were made 1" x 1/2" to represent 6' high x 3' wide beams, and that's probably close enough.)

A3LRma.jpg

Thats going to be one heavy dio!

Well not really Dave. (That's actually what I'm trying to avoid.) With the majority of the roof being foam insulation, and what wood is shown, the whole thing probably won't exceed 10 pounds or so I'd guess. Part of that depends on how I make the bomb catcher lattice on the roof too. If I'm able to use balsa or basswood, weight should be minimal. I'll probably run the transverse beams through a router to impart the curved tops.

(I really don't know why I'm so obsessed with this recently, but I certainly am.) OK, I've now begun adding the representative corrugated sheeting that was suspended between the transverse trusses that were embedded in bunker roof, as well as strips to represent the bottoms of the trusses themselves. I don't believe the trusses or the sheeting was galvanized, but instead was probably painted to prevent corrosion, so I'll most likely go for a reasonably clean appearance in this area.

.010 x .060 strips were used to represent truss angle bottoms (scale 4" wide), with truss center lines at 1", (a scale 6'). It's a guess, but a fairly decent guess I think. (This particular piece is completely screwed up, and will probably be trashed.)

GMPQ3W.jpg