1:72 U-boat bunker

LSP_K2

On 1/15/2012 at 8:17 AM, MARU5137 said:

Kevin

Looking at the above post of photos of your hull , I am in AWE of such beautifully neat,{ VERY NEAT }
flawless work shown there.. :goodjob:

Your scratchbuild is second to none..... :thumbsup:

Thanks, I appreciate it. I've been wanting to do a few larger projects for years, but never felt that I was up to it. Meanwhile, work continues on the somewhat tedious, but needed (in my opinion), the opening of the flooding holes. I've come to the conclusion that the Yankee Model Works pressure hull will not be used on this project, as it will never be seen anyway. I'll save it for another U-boat that I may do later as a cutaway.

L5qh27.jpg

pPGYb6.jpg

Nice work Kevin!

I have one myself that I really need to start... Did you thin the plastic before drilling all the holes?

What aftermarket are you throwing at it?

Thanks Dave. Yes, plastic was just ground thin from the interior side. I have the full Eduard Etch set for it. Other than that (and the scratched bunker), a pretty much OOB effort, unless I actually do the U-Flak conversion, then I'll snatch some guns from the Revell AG Schnellboote; still not real committed to that idea.

Nice! I have the Eduard Set too... plus the Nautilus Deck.. Just trying to find some turned Brass goodies for it too!

The Nautilus deck looks real good from what I've seen, but with the rather limited perspective inside the bunker, it really won't be necessary to use.

Since I (apparently), lost my other jigsaw, I went out and bought another today, and it made an easy fix to the task of opening up bays between pens. My apologies for the appearance of the (still unfinished), drum room.

JCOiSK.jpg

Kevin this is bringing back memories of "Das Boot" - keep up the good work mate

Ads

Yep, that was a great movie. I may have to drag it out and watch it again. From what I understand, several scenes were actually filmed inside one of the old bunkers.

It took me quite a while to reason this one out. This is a test piece of wood using wallpaper paste applied with a coarse brush, the object being to simulate the layering of the concrete used in the fabrication of the bunkers. This was done freehand, but I'll use a straightedge for the "real stuff". Once dry, I'll experiment a tad with some methods of painting to give it a (hopefully), realistic appearance. (If I can't get the bunker to look appropriate, there's no real reason to do it at all.)

GGDQhh.jpg