WE GOT WOOD! Mosquito Madness #3

PhilB

Well there seemed to be a few 1/24 mosquito's flying around here so why not one more?

I will be using this kit to help my 1/32 Revell also WIP to try and get something appraoching a Mossie!

I can't do a box top shot as I haven't got a wide enough angle lens.

Here's the terrific AlleyCat TR33 conversion:

PB222478.jpg

PB222480.jpg

PB222486.jpg

This is the scheme I will be doing.

Its from the Culdrose Wing from RNAS Culdrose near Helston in Cornwall.

I grew up about 10 miles from this station in the 60's and 70's so it has special memories.

TR33.jpg

The AlleyCat conversion is very extensive including a full set of masks. Unfortunately it only has masks for two roundels

so I have got hold of the Ad Astra Masks 'C' Roundel set which includes all the roundels and fin flashes so I can keep the decal count right down.

I have also got a couple of bits from Paragon.

U/C doors:

P2062922.jpg

And the ID lights:

P2062920.jpg

Chopping up a £100 kit is going to focus the mind a bit but having seen a built-up one at Telford

with folded wings and a bloody great torpedo slung underneath, I think it will be worth it!

Best I get the glue out!

Phil

Edited by PhilB

Alright Phil!! I love it whenever someone tackles the old Revell kits. Most of them had a really nice outline and are a great vehicle for scratchbuilding details. Think of the old detail on the inside of the cockpit in a prudential light. The details can be used as locaters for the new detail that you will probably add? Glass half full mate,

J

No such thing as too many mosquitos (of the wooden variety that is) :speak_cool:! Now I'll go looking for MM#2...

#2 should be here anytime now.

Probably hung over from watching the Superbowl!

Really looking forward to this and how you use it to improve the Revell kit. Are you going to be chopping the wings up? I might have to avert my gaze when you do.

This is the 1/24 Airfix Andy (yeah Im already bloody confused myself) and I will be sawing the wings in half at some stage.

Never mind If I screw it up maybe it will make a nice "LAVI" :evil_laugh:

Alright Phil!! I love it whenever someone tackles the old Revell kits. Most of them had a really nice outline and are a great vehicle for scratchbuilding details. Think of the old detail on the inside of the cockpit in a prudential light. The details can be used as locaters for the new detail that you will probably add? Glass half full mate,

J

Thanks for looking in Jerry!

I'll do my best!

Phil

Ok ok, I get it now. My post belongs on your other thread about the 1/32 Mossie but according to your plan the both builds are sort of intertwined so I guess that it works here as well? Anyway,I look forward to the whole shebang.

J

Will definitely be following this one :popcorn:

I also have the Paragon U/C doors for my build, but I forgot to shorten the main gear supports by 2mm as per the Paragon instructions - well basically I didn't read the instructions until it was too late - dohhh!!

Edited by Max N

Phil

I've made a start on my Tr.33. Building it side by side with the Tse Tse so both will be detailed at the same time.

I've chopped the wings. Really dreaded that part due to the cost of the kit but every thing came out well, especially as I'm a fully paid up member of the measure once cut twice club. I'll start posting again soon with my pair.

Chris

Thanks for all the kind words of encouragement gents!

Chris, I'll be coming to you when I'm going to chop my wings, prolly want to pick your brains on that one!

Jim, insane? probably but then thats why we are involved in this hobby!

Andy, I wasn't going to get the cannons as only the muzzles will be showing but there I was on Hannants ordering a couple of sets of belts for her and hey presto! they suddenly appeared in my cart along with a pair of Paragon tanks! Weird stuff!

I have been spending a fair bit of time on the cockpit.

Chris(Monty Python) sent me a B&W photo of a TF37 cockpit which is very similar to the TR33.

It is possible to make a pretty good guess at the correct colours for this build.

I've kept the ip colours fairly bright as the pit can only be seen through the closed canopy.

None of the resin parts in the pit has been primed. If its cleaned properly and is not going to be touched then I don't prime to stop losing any detail.

The ip:

P2162955.jpg

The vertical guages by the coloured six look white in the photo.

the additional part on the right of the ip is from the conversion set.

The pedal box looks black with a fair amount of weathering. I used a drop of chalk to dirty up the pedals:

P2162959.jpg

The radar scope has been sanded to give the cutouts for the operators face. It was a flat cone to start with.

The main connecting cable is lead wire with brass tube for the connectors. In the photo it looks like thick braided steel hose.

P2162962.jpg

I added a small guage from the Airscale 1/24 generic sheet to add a bit of interest:

P2162964.jpg

I decided not to add the seat cushion as my 1/32 Paragon set doesn't have one and also where would the pilot's chute go?

I removed the locating lugs inside the pan and put in a card liner.

Not sure what colour the leather is on this one.

I've seen many different suggestions so I thought a nice bit of dark green would look good.

I also filled the hole in the top as it doesn't look right for the belt mountings in my references.

I'll drill a new one when I mount the belts.

P2162982.jpg

Back in a minute to see what this looks like together.

Phil