WE GOT WOOD! Mosquito Madness #1

PhilB

Yes, this is the old Revell MkIV Bomber kit with some am goodies.

Bloody thing is so old, the instructions show 1971 and the box 1972.

Here is the culprit:

P2062900.jpg

Smells like an old folks home when you open the lid!

I got this about 6 years ago to go with my Beaufighter which is from the same line that Revell did in the early 70's

At the time I managed to get the old MDC conversion which is only the nose but very well molded:

P2062911.jpg

I also got a few of these as we need some Rocket Tree!

P2062904.jpg

Don't know if its going to be AP or HE yet.

This was effectly sitting in the stash until I managed to get Neil's Paragon conversion last year.

Lovely job. I've also got the bulged wheels and paddle props:

P2062908.jpg

She's also going to have the unsheilded exhausts so got the Quickboost exhausts.

P2062901.jpg

I was still pretty stuck for a scheme but then Ad Astra came along so she will be a Banff Strike Wing aircraft

from 143 Sqdn, with the black on yellow codes NE-D serial RS625.

P2062903.jpg

Back in a mo with a looky at the ancient plastic!

Phil

Main thing with this one is that from what I've heard the shape is OK.

Raised panel lines etc can all be dealt with especially as the mosquito doesn't have many!

I will have the 1/24 Airfix on the table alongside this one to use as reference also the excellent SAM FBVI guide.

Well it looks like a Mossie:

P2062898.jpg

On the box it says it has a superbly detailed engine!

P2062912.jpg

Lovely molded wheel well detail:

P2062916.jpg

Internal cockpit walls also have great detail:

P2062917.jpg

P2062919.jpg

Got some bad warping of the lower wing panels once off the sprue but I gave them the hairdryer treatment and its not so bad now.

Prolly need to put in an internal spar to keep the buggers straight:

P2062915.jpg

This is going to be a real grin!

Off to post Mossie Madness #3.

Wonder who is #2???? :ph34r:

Phil

Looking good Phil! I've got exactly that kit in exactly that boxing, but I've never really had a proper look inside it. Pretty crappy! That cockpit sidewall detail is :crying: I think I'll leave mine until I see what you do with yours.

Kev

I have almost the same stuff as you - though Paragon rockets instead of MDC - yet to get the Master Brownings http://www.master-model.pl/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=garden_flypage.tpl&product_id=108&category_id=2&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=56&lang=en

It's going to be interesting to see how you incorporate the Paragon cockpit and manage to retail the superb kit cockpit detail.

Sweet! Every other build is a mosquito at the moment, great for reference material :)

Would you be willing to sell me your revell wheels if you don't use them? Also, where did you find the quickboost exhausts?

James

Sweet! Every other build is a mosquito at the moment, great for reference material :)

Would you be willing to sell me your revell wheels if you don't use them? Also, where did you find the quickboost exhausts?

James

Hannants sell Quickboost, as do Lucky Models - post free!

Just this last Sat. I recieved my latest piece for my 1/32 Revell Mosquito from Grey Matters, the Warbirds FB VI nose that MDC used to sell. Cost was 9# including RM surface shipping mailed on 12/23/10. I also got the Heritage vac canopy and resin single stage cowlings last fall and the Quickboost exhaust. Now I can get started on mine. Last set of Paragon's FB conversion I saw on Ebay went for a bit over 70 USD.

Just this last Sat. I recieved my latest piece for my 1/32 Revell Mosquito from Grey Matters, the Warbirds FB VI nose that MDC used to sell. Cost was 9# including RM surface shipping mailed on 12/23/10. I also got the Heritage vac canopy and resin single stage cowlings last fall and the Quickboost exhaust. Now I can get started on mine. Last set of Paragon's FB conversion I saw on Ebay went for a bit over 70 USD.

Here's a post from a few years ago http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=17314&st=0&p=134015&hl=paragon&fromsearch=1entry134015 and here's Neil's Britmodeller profile http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showuser=36 he might still have some Mosquito stuff.

Looking good Phil! I've got exactly that kit in exactly that boxing, but I've never really had a proper look inside it. Pretty crappy! That cockpit sidewall detail is :crying: I think I'll leave mine until I see what you do with yours.

Aw go on Kev! It would be nice to have another member on the WE GOT WOOD stage!

How nice!

I will follow this one with most interest.

Thanks mate! This is going to be interesting!

I have almost the same stuff as you - though Paragon rockets instead of MDC - yet to get the Master Brownings http://www.master-model.pl/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=garden_flypage.tpl&product_id=108&category_id=2&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=56&lang=en

It's going to be interesting to see how you incorporate the Paragon cockpit and manage to retail the superb kit cockpit detail.

I was thinking about leaving it there under the resin, kind of like a time capsule!

Here's a post from a few years ago http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=17314&st=0&p=134015&hl=paragon&fromsearch=1entry134015 and here's Neil's Britmodeller profile http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showuser=36 he might still have some Mosquito stuff.

I got mine from Neil direct by sending him a PM here as he is a member.(I also got the Master barrels too!)

Phil

James

James,

PM me your address and I'll pop them in the post - no charge.

Andy has already said about the exhausts, £4.99 at Hannants.

Phil

James,

PM me your address and I'll pop them in the post - no charge.

Andy has already said about the exhausts, £4.99 at Hannants.

Phil

Cheers Phil and Andy, those are the bits i didn't fancy scratching! Must've missed those exhausts last time i searched Hannants, quite a decent price too

Looking forward to this one! NE-D is one of my favorite Mossie schemes :)

Thanks Doug, I'll do my best!

And so it begins!

The first job was to alter the shape of the front of the cockpit to take the new vac canopy.

I marked the position of the canopy and then using dymo tape and a very sharp Hasegawa scriber set about removing the areas:

P2092936.jpg

This was done as per the Paragon instructions although the Airfix "6" has a more curved front to the pit.

We'll see how it pans out with the ip as it can always be tweaked later. This is the result:

P2092938.jpg

I spent most of yesterday removing the casting blocks off the sidewalls and sanding them as thin as I dared:

P2092923.jpg

P2092924.jpg

The next problem was that the door is in the wrong place for an FBVI.

Most of this door will go when the nose is chopped off:

P2092932.jpg

I had to make my mind up how to go about putting a new door in the right place.

back in a Mo.

Phil

Paragon do a nicely molded door on the interior sidewall as you can see in my last post.

They also provide a separate door that can be posed open:

P2092930.jpg

I could remove the detail from this and use it as a scribing template on the outside,

but in the great LSP tradition I thought I'd make more work for myself by posing the final model with the door open

and maybe a scratchbuilt ladder.

First I VERY carefully removed the door from the sidewall and glued it in the fuse:

P2092944.jpg

Then I removed the area from the kit fuse:

P2092945.jpg

Its still WIP but it guives the general idea. I've got to sand it back further to get a nice joint with the internal resin frame.

It is starting to look Ok on the outside too and according to my plans the position is pretty good:

P2092948.jpg

Last job of the day was to fix the other sidewall in place:

P2092951.jpg

Next I will be starting to get the cockpit together and probably having to do some adjustment before I can start with the painting stage.

Phil