75 Sqn RNZAF Mosquito Detailed Build

Anthony in NZ

Wow, thanks guys!! I don't know what to say except glad you are all enjoying it!

Jim, thanks mate, sometimes it also becomes obsessive...LOL. Glad you are on board.

Richard, appreciate that. I didn't mean to go so overboard, but you know how it is. I still have a few more items to add. LOL, I suspect when you make one in brass mine will look like it came from an old 1970's Frog kit.

Carl, someone is making them in 1/32 scale, I recall Bob at MDC has that under control?

Ollie, thanks for stopping by my old friend, now back to that Hawk of yours!

Kev, appreciate the encouragement mate!

Cheers everyone, you don't know how much it spurs me on. It is easy to get bogged down and loose focus on it being a hobby and fun!

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

What I like about your stuff Anthony is that it is always crisp and sharp. Re an earlier post. I don't think anyone is getting bored by your updates it's just that there are only so many superlatives in the English language so folk may be struggling to find the words.

I lump this build along the likes of Peter's Richard's and Chuck's. Compulsive viewing.

Please keep us all up to speed.

Cheers.

Thanks guys, but I don't see myself in their league. Although flattery will get you everywhere!!!

Ok, just spend an hour or so marking up and pressing a load of tiny circles into the spinner to represent the flush rivets. Although I suspect under a coat of paint you will struggle to see them which is what I am hoping for. If you really strain to look then they will be there otherwise not really noticed, just like the real thing unless the rivets get weepy and smoke. Also added the cap on the tip.

Quick snap before an ultra light coat of Mr Surfacer to see the effect and spot any flaws.

airmos%20002_zpsl2hsr0hp.jpg

If the primer looks good then it is on to putting a few archer rivets around the blade openings

Thanks again guys, I was going to work on the Auster but those encouraging comments made me crack on and try to finish the spinner so I can get it cast.

Cheers

Anthony

Thanks Lothar, it really is not that difficult. I have seen your work Lothar, nothing you cant handle...in fact you do! With a little time and thought anyone can do this it isn't rocket science. I reckon our (my) biggest barrier is thinking I cant do something.....however what some of these guys do with brass I still don't think I could do.

Ok, quick snap before bed. I just shot some super thinned Mr Surfacer over the spinner and got exactly the effect I was looking for. The beading tool really is very effective in this scale in that is presses a circle and not a hole/dot. You cant really see the effect here, but it is there

airmos%20005_zpshegogyus.jpg

Thanks again

Cheers

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

Thanks mate!  Yes indeed, I struggle to see rivets on aircraft on some occasions and yet on others they are quite obvious.  I guess it boils down to taste as well as the aircraft you are modelling.  But I felt that in 24th it needed a fair representation.

Around the engine nacelles I will run more of a wash as I think an overall silver aircraft would look too toy like. But with exhaust stains, oil streaks and a few patches of repainted areas etc will add some life to it....hopefully.

In reality Mosquitoes up close are often scruffy, so finding a balance so it looks like an 'in service' airframe and not one put out to pasture will be the challenge.

Archer rivets on spinner tonight!

Cheers

Anthony

Thanks Mike!

I look forward to seeing your next steps when you get to it.  

I was hoping to get this spinner finished off except I fell asleep on the couch the other night and I now have my brother and sister in law over from Brisbane.  They are wanting to do lots of stuff before they go next week!  I forsee a couple of late nights when everyone has gone to bed to get it done....  :ninja: