75 Sqn RNZAF Mosquito Detailed Build

Anthony in NZ

Take your time with it. Coming on beautifully. Can't wait to see the finished Mossie.

Thanks mate, sometimes I just don't feel like I am moving at a pace that keeps anyone interested, although I am enjoying it and that is what it is about isn't it...

Kerry sent through another pic. You can see here the 'twist' has been improved and they are hugely thinner than the kit ones.

Although it is hard to tell, those tropical intakes have a lot of subtleties in all its curves, many hours were spent hunched over one measuring it up and lots of photos from various angles to ensure the shape was correct.

DSCF3420_zpspozjjsyn.jpg

Now, we just need someone to make some nice brass Mk 3 rails for my stubs!

Cheers

Anthony

Ohh nice!

It will take me a bit to get them over but I have pics of both the bomber and fighter Mossies from AV 2015 now DL to my PC................will make a walk around from them and send them over to K1.

Great shots with the engine cowlings off, internal rear fuselage shots, gun cover off, and lower cockpit hatch open.   Hopefully coming shortly when I have a spare hr or more at home.

Great progress so far!!!

Thanks mate, sometimes I just don't feel like I am moving at a pace that keeps anyone interested, although I am enjoying it and that is what it is about isn't it...

If anybody is losing interest in this build, then they can't be interested in anything. As you say, so long as your enjoying it then thats all that matters. I for one am loving what your doing to an already expensive kit.

Thanks guys!

Well I have practically finished my tailwheel unit, will photograph later.

In the meantime Kerry sent the resin copies from my masters and they arrived in this morning....thanks mate! The reworked paddle blades required minimal cleanup and dropped into place as a direct replacement for the Airfix slabs. It is hard to show here, but I have thinned them right down, sorted the correct 'twist' and overall shape of the blade.

Here are a few shots of the blades glued into the kit hub and my corrected spinner with backplate all test fitted.

airmos%20005_zps3jodrpmg.jpg

airmos%20006_zpstpydvtwg.jpg

airmos%20008_zpsmderxzbs.jpg

airmos%20009_zpsi9xbgaxa.jpg

Hard to tell in these photos, but the spinner shape is quite different to the kit shape. It is much pointier and has the correct shape holes for the blades to exit through.

Just have to add some more rivet detail to these spinners, might send them to Kerry and see if he thinks he can cast these as well.

Thanks for looking in everyone

Cheers

Anthony

Thanks guys!

I really think it is important to try and capture the 'feel' of an aeroplane. Sometimes it is just in the smaller details, often several little tweaks can make a world of difference to the finished product as I have learned from many of you here.

Alan, glad you like her mate, always pleasing to see another Kiwi on the forum and someone with such an eye for detail like yourself is appreciated to have that kind of feedback!

Ron, keep plugging away on your lovely Mosquito, all these Mossie builds right now really spur me on!

I will try and update again tomorrow.

Cheers

Anthony

Thanks Rich, much appreciated mate! Builds like your B-17 and Dauntless inspire me to push my modelling boundaries

Ok, another update, this time the RP stubs I made. The kit 'pegs' in my opinion didn't look like the actual items so I made new ones and had them cast. You can see I have the holes for the mounting bolts in the castings and these will have the shank and nut attached to the base. I REALLY REALLY hope someone makes a set of brass Mk3 rails when they re-release this kit. They could be used on the Typhoon as well....hint hint anyone??

Anyway on to the pics

airmos%20014_zpszgxjoss6.jpg

airmos%20005_zpsq299kdnd.jpg

airmos%20006_zps9hhxogyu.jpg

You can see here the 100gal tank still needs archer mushroom head rivets applied, I might put a dent on the tank.....maybe

On the upper surface of the wing there will be corresponding 4 sets (of 2)of bumps to represent the bolt head fairings on the upper surface.

Thanks for looking in.

Cheers

Anthony

Ok 1 more update, 3rd one in less than 24hrs! Seems I have been busy on this kit!

Just have a few finishing touches to put on the tailwheel, I have 'kicked' it around 30-40deg for added interest.

airmos%20004_zps2cr4y3gx.jpg

airmos%20008_zpsidwtmqeq.jpg

Cheers

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ