75 Sqn RNZAF Mosquito Detailed Build

Anthony in NZ

Oliver, yes mate I will take a photo soon and update my build!

Peter, thanks mate, however that can be a curse for me as well!!!

So the momentum is still rolling with this build. I am going to have to measure the position of the ground power socket as I thought I had it noted down somewhere... So back to the wings again (I know I am all over the place with this build).

Now, on the top surface of the radiator access panel there are more details that need sorting. I repositioned the access panels (still to add screw heads around it) and buffed the dome head fasteners down some more. Also I buffed back the circular impression and added more Mr Surfacer. I think this should settle everything down nicely.

However one part on these panels eluded me as to how I was going to reproduce it and that is another 'bump' outboard of the circular one. It is much softer and hardly noticeable on photos. Take a look here and you will see what I mean...

3787699056_7a11276f91_b_zps4gyezplv.jpg

In the end I marked out a square of where it should be and boxed it with Tamiya tape. I then built up a circle of CA inside it, sanded it to pretty close as you can see in one of these pics. After that I brushed Mr Surfacer all over it and then removed the masking. All that was needed then was to sand and buff everything until I had it all nice and smooth and blended in.

Port side being done

mosm%20001%202_zpswlfzfejz.jpg

Starboard side done, note repositioned oval access panel. I tried to photograph at a slight angle but it didn't really show up. Should all look good when I spray more Mr Surfacer on it.

mosm%20002_zpszukrebg8.jpg

Till next time all...

Cheers

Anthony

Nice attention to detail Anthony.

Out of curiosity, what is that panel made of? Is it plywood? The reason I ask is that it looks like it could be de-lamination of the plywood rather than an intended bump?

Hi there, good question. Although the Mosquito is mainly constructed as wood, there is a hang of a lot of metalwork in one. Definitely though, this panel is aluminium sheet with ribs riveted underneath.

Boy, you guys are onto it! I love getting questions like that!

Cheers

Anthony

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Anthony,

Just got back from vacation and now I see that you've already given me some extra work for my mosquito. :clap2: .

After drilling 250 holes in the tank and radiator panels of my Mosie for the DZUS fasteners I will probably take up your bumps :lol: and try to hammer them into my tin panels.

Keep up the good work its giving me ideas as well :clap2:.

Cheers

Mike

PS: Just scanned through all photos I have. The bumps immediately next to the nacelles I have seen on other Mosquito's as well. The one which is white in the last photos I seem to miss.

Do you know why its there?

Anything technical underneath?

Edited by mlcflhs

Thanks guys!!

Mike, that sounds like a LOT of you you have done there already, cant wait to see an update!

The weather has been great here in the past week or so. So I have been at the hangar working on the plane, had a new prop arrive and some parts I was waiting for, so its been all go there.

However I am looking at the radiator cores and how to sort them a bit better. In some ways I wish I hadn't played around with them as the system Airfix had for alignment turned out to be quite good (figured that after I cut their lugs off :doh:)

So now I am committed to finding another solution.  I think I am going to have to scratch new cores and use Radu's etch faces.  Still not sure how I am boing to reset the radiator section of the wing to the correct  thickness etc :hmmm:.... So all in all progress even if it is sideways :innocent:

Oh I sprayed Mr Surfacer on the top radiator panel after all that work and it came out much better than I thought it would, I don't even think I need any remedial work to do on it.

Might need to think about these radiators a bit more, so I might move to the ailerons and sort them out with new panel lines and rivets etc.

Cheers and thanks for the comments guys, but its back to the hangar again today I am sorry.

Cheers

Anthony

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

Thanks very much!  

Maru, I will see what I can photograph that might be interesting for you, but my Auster T7 and my friends J-5F under rebuild along with a Cessna 172 undergoing a SIDS inspection might not be very interesting....I mean they arent exactly Spitfires  :shrug:

Dave, I suspect you wont need too much info off my thread for the new Tamiya kit.  I (along with several other extremely knowledgeable Mosquito people)spent many hours working with the design team on that kit.  Looking at what they have achieved there will be precious little to 'tweak'.  They have done an amazing job. We tried to leave no stone unturned and I know it has been mentioned on another site whether or not the canopy is too high.  My friend Kerry specifically and myself labored over those measurements (as well as providing accurate fin measurements because of their 48th kit).  We (well Kerry)even set up laser measuring devices on a British built fuselage and I had a friend who is a surveyer help measure a fuselage at different stations etc including many of the canopy size/shape. I suspect this was also to confirm what they already knew.

I have forced myself to forge on with this as I dont want to 'shelve' it when I see a prototype for inspection. I have put too much in to stop now.

I have some more measurements to scribe in the ground power cover on the port side now...watch this space

Cheers

Anthony

Scribed in the ground power socket cover and a quick splash of Tamiya wash so you can see it.

IMG_0087_zpse7lp7fsp.jpg

If anyone is interested the door itself is 5.1mm long and 4'5mm wide in 1/24 scale

The panel line is scribed evenly, its just my sloppy wash in there that makes the line seem a little uneven.

Cheers

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

Anthony,

Thanks for the response. It's great to hear about the work that went into the new Tamiya Mossie. I am looking forward to receiving it. I currently have it on pre-order. 

I want to do a Canadian Built bird. I would imagine this is not an issue with this kit. These aircraft were built not far from where I live.

Edited by Totalize

• 2 weeks later...

Hi chaps and chapesses

Does anyone know anything about custom photoetching or someone that can do it? The reason I ask is that I am not convinced the Cammet cowl fasteners are the correct length and proportions. I know it seems a little trivial to worry about, but I think it might bug me if I don't address it....or at least check! I am going to measure them today and compare.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated

Cheers

Anthony

WARNING.....non rivet counters might want to stop here

Ok so I measured up the Dzus fastener and I am probably just being silly. The fastener is 105mm long and works out to 4.4mm long and 15mm wide or 0.6mm wide. The Cammett ones are approx 3.7mm long and 1mm wide. Although very close I think it is because the proportions are quite different makes me think they look odd. I haven't decided what to do yet....

mosq%20039_zpstwsdkwsb.jpg

This pic is just a ref one for those looking to modify the kit bomb doors.

mosq%20002_zpssoxoxh0q.jpg

The stbd door is the one with the extra circular panel

But my big score was the boys gave me this big section of fabric (from the belly) from TE759/NZ2328 (the very aircraft I am modelling) to display her on when finished. Top guys and a nice surprise!

mosq%20040_zpsd3vd71rv.jpg

You can see the original RAF/Standard Motors applied grey and the HSS (High Speed Silver) over the top that the RNZAF sprayed, and its not sticking well!

Right, its back to the build....

Thanks for looking in and hope these images help for your future projects

Cheers

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

That's just over-the-top awesome. My detail oriented OCD tells me it would rock if you could take a color sample to a laboratory paint analist who can tell you the exact composition of said paint chip so you can then paint the model in the exacting color. Same thing they did for the Grumman Martlet at the Fleet Air Arm Museum.

Thanks 322SqnNL, I think it will look pretty cool on an original piece off fabric off the actual plane I am modelling too.

Well, time for confessions, I made a mistake with my original bomb door so I am in the process of filling with CA and plasti card...

Original

mossie1035.jpg

Rework

airmos%20001_zpshfmukphn.jpg

Working on the stbd one now....

I knew I should not have gone off memory and actually measured the doors like I did last weekend!

Cheers

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ