75 Sqn RNZAF Mosquito Detailed Build

Anthony in NZ

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so now the radiator outlets are shaped and primed.  Once the wing is eventually attached to the fuselage I will scratchbuild radiator cores etc...

Here is a cross section of whats going on in there

Mosquito_zpstbcyhpq7.jpeg

Where I am at, note the extra hole I drilled on the nacelle just inside the upper wing leading edge.  This will have a piece of brass tube just poking through.  

IMG_1848_zpslcqeufd4.jpg

New end rib for the radiator has been made, this just needs detailing etc as the side covers will be off to expose the engine

IMG_1850_zpszdwi8mv9.jpg

Here is an overall view of the other wing.  Finally the wing structure is complete.  I am happy with the shapes, profiles, dihedral and chord measurements.  I have been all over it with my Vernier's and everything is lined up and match port and starboard.  Just a matter now of refining some surfaces, replacing lost rivet/fastener detail and back to the nacelles.

IMG_1851_zps1524yq9s.jpg

Finally happy it looks correct for a Mosquito wing.  

It should be noted that this could have been fixed much easier than how I went about it by shimming the spar at the radiator and removing a slice from the outboard spar and clamping it all together and gluing with epoxy glue. 

If you plan on doing this fix, I would make a one piece front spar and make the inner section thicker by approx 1mm (as per my prev photos) and inner section thinner (or stepped down) by about 2.mm, giving about a 2.5-3mm difference to the inner and outer sections.  Do this on the upper wing edge.  I suspect you will still need to extend the leading as it is very blunt.

Cheers Anthony

• 2 weeks later...

hello Anthony, 

I've migrated over from the, er…. other bigger scale forum, primarily to follow your inspiring build a bit more closely (so, no pressure!!)  - I'm very interested to find out how you fixed the upper wing shape with regard to the radiator areas, and ( i'm a bit surprised no one else has suggested it, frankly!!) I would really like to see all the fixes and improvements you have made in a book  ( I suppose I'm a bit old fashioned!!) - I think this impressive model deserves it. And I hope the plan to release some of the corrections in resin is still going ahead, too ( spinners, prop blades, to name but a few)

Blue Skies!

Captain Boogaloo

2 hours ago, Captain Boogaloo said:

hello Anthony, 

I've migrated over from the, er…. other bigger scale forum, primarily to follow your inspiring build a bit more closely (so, no pressure!!)  - I'm very interested to find out how you fixed the upper wing shape with regard to the radiator areas, and ( i'm a bit surprised no one else has suggested it, frankly!!) I would really like to see all the fixes and improvements you have made in a book  ( I suppose I'm a bit old fashioned!!) - I think this impressive model deserves it. And I hope the plan to release some of the corrections in resin is still going ahead, too ( spinners, prop blades, to name but a few)

Blue Skies!

Captain Boogaloo

Hey, welcome to LSP, and great to have you here!

Yes the masters are with the (well known) caster waiting their time for production.  I could make up a bit of a drawing on how to fix the upper wing, or the shape it should be if you like?

In the meantime between my busy schedule, work continues most days.  This was taken on the weekend.  Here I am setting up all the datums and sorting all the firewall out.  Both of the Paragon firewall fairings are now on and the 2 nacelle halves almost match up.  Still a bit more shimming to do there.  The rib you see in the photos next to the radiator is going as I am making a more detailed one out of plastic card

IMG_1852_zpsxd0l0cny.jpg

Getting myself set up to detail this area...

IMG_1854_zpsdcgb8dbv.jpg

Checking alignment again (not been any issues) but also remind me what I am doing and try to see a bigger picture of where I am going!

IMG_1864_zpsagkfylks.jpg

Sorry its not much of an update, I figured I should do a little one since I was replying.

Nice to have you along!

Cheers Anthony

Hello Anthony,

Yes, please! I'd definitely like to see a drawing of the wing corrections, but not at the expense of your build or your full size restoration, so whenever you can is fine. Massive thanks in advance!

All the best

Captain Boogaloo

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys, I just wish it wasn't so tediously long for you...

I work on her most days, but finding time is an issue as always.  However after many hours work I got the nacelles set at their correct angles (all the wing mods ment re-jigging the datums again).  The resin carb intake got removed 3times before I was happy with the final sit and orientation.  Now I have started detailing up the firewall.  I cant finish this area until I finish detailing and painting the wheel well and then gluing the nacelle halves together.

In the meantime here are a couple of pics to show where this nacelle is at.  There will be a lot of detailing and plumbing in here as well as using a modified Merlin from the Airfix Hurricane as the powerplant. I can now however remove the nacelles and finish off all the surface detailing, especially on the lower wing.  There are loads of panels, fasteners, drain holes to be added.

Sorry the update is not very exciting and does not reflect the hours gone into this.

IMG_1899_zps9pnmelda.jpg

IMG_1900_zps5chxhtuq.jpg

Thanks for looking in

Cheers Anthony

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Ron!

yes mate I have, got an email and invoice earlier in the week. They are on their way...

Thanks for the heads up on those, I cannot wait to see them. In the meantime I shall continue to plug away on the firewall and nacelles 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have spent HOURS on the underside of this wing and there is still much to go.  

All of the fuel tank panels have been scribed, doublers added (couple more still to go), drains, vents and access panels etc appropriate for the Series II wing.  I have been feeling like I have not achieved anything so I did what our Chuck here does and flooded one wing with Tamiya Panel accent wash.  I thought I best do one wing at a time so I didn't feel overwhelmed.

Overall I am really happy with the way it has come up.  I can see a few areas that will need attention, but considering all the work gone into the wing structure I am actually pretty pleased.  There are a few item's of photoetch to add on there when the sheets turn up so don't worry it's still not done!

IMG_2062_zps3qpemlzg.jpg

IMG_2057_zpsjngyolng.jpg

IMG_2058_zpsjo8kf9ai.jpg

Bit of tidy up then wash the other wing and see what I have to tidy up...

Then its weld beads and rivets  on the 100gal long range tanks

Thanks for looking

Cheers Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ