75 Sqn RNZAF Mosquito Detailed Build

Anthony in NZ

Hey Anthony 

I almost forgot could you also post a couple of pictures of the Paragon exhausts for this ki. Im think about modifying the kit parts and want something to go by. I would really like a set of Neils (Paragon) exhausts but I think that would be near impossible, plus I'm retired and on a fixed budget...lol:D

Ron G 

Edited by RonGUSA

On 9/3/2019 at 4:41 PM, shark64 said:

BK?

LOL, I was looking at my shelf of doom and thought....."I really should finish that, Oliver would be happy about that too!"

I seriously must get onto finishing off the wiring in the nose so I can close up the fuse 

12 hours ago, RonGUSA said:

Hey Anthony 

Just went through your build of the Airfix 1/24 Mosquito. Let me just say WOW! fantastic work. You mentioned you would like some better detailed. 303 machine guns, try this guy on Shapways - 1/24 Browning 303 MkII RAF Set001 by HOLDEN8702. They are 3D printed, they look good. I'm thinking about getting a set for my Mossie.

Do you have any pictures of the port and starboard interior cockpit walls. Ones that show the placement of the reinforcement circular plates for attaching all the fittings to the inside walls. I found another build of one by ajaycad on here, LSP, but I'm not sure that it's correct, plus he only shows one side. If you have pictures that show this better I would greatly appreciate it. Also he used 3mm dia circles, is this correct? Also what thickness should i use?

Thanks Ron G 

Ok Ron, I will see what I can sort out.  Also hold off, there is a superdetailed Mossie nose gun bay coming for this kit.  It's pretty awesome and extensively researched.

Dave is really a master with the detail he has put on his kit, go with his measurements.  I would have to look through my drawings (I have about 7000) to see if I can find a location diagram of those mounting ferrules.  But in all honesty.  I would locate the throttle box and other items in the cockpit then work off them as references for all the others.  That's what I am doing.

11 hours ago, RonGUSA said:

Hey Anthony 

I almost forgot could you also post a couple of pictures of the Paragon exhausts for this ki. Im think about modifying the kit parts and want something to go by. I would really like a set of Neils (Paragon) exhausts but I think that would be near impossible, plus I'm ret3and on a fixed budget...lol:D

Ron G 

I'll take some photos tomorrow, I might even have a spare pair of shrouds...

Thanks for your feedback on this build, its been a long road...

Cheers Anthony

• 3 months later...

Ok so Ron has got me going on this kit again.

One area I had tried to ignore was the outer wing section profile.  Remember I extended the leading edge to make it pointier?  I thought I would be happy with this, but the more I looked the more I knew the issue was deeper and tried to ignore it.  I will try and illustrate...

Note the wing outer section has a noticeably thinner outer section at the forward spar

Img_3193_zpseeedef7d.jpg

This is because the inner section where the radiators are mounted are built up higher for the radiators only on the inboard sections, see here...

Img_3187_zpsf6r687fl.jpg

Img_3191_zpsfcb3fa80.jpg

Now look at the kit....

IMG_1778%20-%20Copy_zps0rwdmqa8.jpg

I managed to get it back to this, I still need to add a thin shim to restore the outer wing dihedral.  I have put test piece of 30 thou (after the photo) and everything lined up nicely again...phew

IMG_1776%20-%20Copy_zpsp10okkvt.jpg

Which now gives the correct cross section and 'look' of the wings I was trying to achieve by extending the leading edge and ignoring this bigger issue.

What do you think?

IMG_1781_zps23ci2jx1.jpg

I am just restoring the surface detail on the upper wings and replacing the weather capping strip.  The Port wing will then be fixed and I will run you through how I did it when I do the stbd wing...its not pretty but it worked

Thanks for looking in

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

Thanks Guys!

Yup Ron, right you are buddy....I couldn't sleep LOL

Jens, yes once seen cannot be unseen.  Glad you can see the difference.  I know that everytime I looked at the finished kit all I would see is that leading edge!

I tried to post an update on the mess inside the wing, but cant get Photobucket to work.

This update is not pretty, it's purely for those mad enough to do what I am doing...

The radiator outlets are completely the wrong shape and I feel will be quite visible once completed.  So draw along the spar line and cut the curved panel off.

IMG_1807_zpsisyimkiw.jpg

Glue a piece of card along the leading spar leading edge with the corners sanded off on both gluing surfaces (this will become for panel line for the curved piece rear edge). Flip the panel you just cut off and flip it 180 deg and glue it to the piece of plastic card on the front end of the spar.

IMG_1802_zpsqadwnecq.jpg

IMG_1804_zpsud8oy92k.jpg

There needs a serious amount of backfilling and plastic card.  Get the file out and start shaping it to look more like this

Here we go.  I have since finished this side since the photo

IMG_1803_zpsad1swses.jpg

You can see what I am talking about here, when you look at my Tamiya 1/32nd one I am building too

DSC_0035_zps0eomgpuw.jpg

Cheers Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ