75 Sqn RNZAF Mosquito Detailed Build

Anthony in NZ

Hi Mike, Zac and Chris

Much appreciate your feedback whilst I plod along.  Don't have any pics to show right now as I am riveting the side cowls, then there is a fair bit to do on the tropical carb intake and lower cowl

Chris, I'll be back at the Skyhawk again soon as Woody from Archer has been in touch about some possible solutions to those weld lines on the fuel tank.  I'll be working between the 2 kits.

Zac, yes mate, it's a privilege to be able to see his Mosquito

Cheers and thanks chaps!

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

5 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Hi Mike, Zac and Chris

Chris, I'll be back at the Skyhawk again soon as Woody from Archer has been in touch about some possible solutions to those weld lines on the fuel tank.  I'll be working between the 2 kits.

Cheers and thanks chaps!

Anthony

Cheers Anthony - My A4G has been on hold while I finished off a 1/48 FM Breguet Alize over on BM - now I have to get it moving again.

Chris

Boy, you guys are busy building at the moment, my build was 3 or 4 pages back...I'll have to work quicker LOL

Chris I had a look at your Alize, very very nice mate.

So I have been riveting both the side cowls and have them all finished.  Fasteners yet to be added.  I took a pretty crappy photo on my phone so you can see how faint the riveting is.  However the slight riveting gives a nice texture to an otherwise featureless large surface.

IMG_0862_zpsoben3skb.jpg

And here is an original cowl showing the detail

Sept%202010%20142_zps3igt2whz.jpg

Working on the lower cowl now...

1 hour ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Boy, you guys are busy building at the moment, my build was 3 or 4 pages back...I'll have to work quicker LOL

Chris I had a look at your Alize, very very nice mate.

So I have been riveting both the side cowls and have them all finished.  Fasteners yet to be added.  I took a pretty crappy photo on my phone so you can see how faint the riveting is.  However the slight riveting gives a nice texture to an otherwise featureless large surface.

IMG_0862_zpsoben3skb.jpg

And here is an original cowl showing the detail

Sept%202010%20142_zps3igt2whz.jpg

Working on the lower cowl now...

Thanks Anthony - i have to say i’m impressed with the neatness of your work on your models - I don’t like to get too close to mine

CJP

These might be of use to anyone building a Mosquito in any scale.  Note the inside is silver painted.  This is off a British built Mosquito and the other British built ones are silver inside as well.  Would have to check my refs for Aussie and Canadian built examples

Sept%202010%20143%201_zpswsmqzrbo.jpg

Sept%202010%20140%201_zpsgyk3l52o.jpg

Sept%202010%20141%201_zpsim5x5unp.jpg

Cheers Anthony

Thanks Pip!

It's builds like your Canberra that inspire me to forge on....love that build!

As for the Mosquito, I have been pouring hours and hours into her.  I am on holiday at the moment and spent practically the whole day working on the port nacelle.  I had no idea it was going to be such a big job!!  I made brass templates for the rear nacelle curved panel lines, rivet, stress the skin, rivet some more and so it goes on....

Pretty much all the flush skinning detail is done, thankfully it doesn't have lapped skins.  Next up is the raised rivets, which I will use from Archer. I haven't gone overboard on the stressed skin, figuring 'less is more' and is really only visible at certain angles.  But it has really brought the metalwork to life and really happy with how it's turning out.

I was going to take a photo and post where I am at, but a good friend of mine (who has seen the model) politely told me yesterday that my photography is 'pretty crap' (well he didn't use those words exactly....but I got the message LOL) and I need to do better there.  

Going away camping with the family for 4-5 days so I wont be able to work on her, dang it!  But the break will probably do me some good as it's been pretty intense work.

I'll try and take a decent photo before I leave, unless Belynda doesn't look impressed I am not packing the car LOL....

Cheers for now

Anthony

Ok, now this is a bit of an FYI since we are looking at nacelles.

I hope Neil (ex Paragon Designs) dosent mind me posting this 2 photo's here for illustrative purposes.

Neil spotted an issue with the kit many years ago when he was making his resin sets for this 24th Airfix kit.  Neil knows his Mosquito's and he found something I hadn't noticed either.  The undercarriage hangs out too far below the nacelle and the bracing against the firewall needs shortening by a couple of mm to sit the kit down lower on its legs.  I have done this and agree with Neil that it makes a difference to how everything sits in relation to each other.  Most noticeably the u/c doors in relation to the door guides on the legs.  Simple fix, and I think quite important.

Anyway best to decide for yourself if you are building the kit.

100_1055_zpstim1uudi.jpg

And nestled into the well

100_1056_zps36v7xixy.jpg

And this is my subject aircraft to illustrate

Oct%202007%20-%20Copy_zpsvzffuvrm.jpg

Hope this is of interest if you didn't know and have the kit

Cheers Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ