75 Sqn RNZAF Mosquito Detailed Build

Anthony in NZ

39 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Hi Phil, yes I think you are correct mate.

They probably chose 'L' for Lewis....the owner.

Lot's of history with 235 even before it joined the Banff strike wing.

Spring of 1944 they joined up with 248 Squadron at Portreath in Cornwall to patrol the Bay of Biscay as a "mini wing".

248 had some Mk XVIII's Tsetses with the 57mm cannon in addition to their FBVI's and apparently they came across a U Boat being covered by JU 88's.

The U boat was attacked with the 57mmn and credited as "damaged" and one of the Ju88's was attacked using the same weapon "to great effect" apparently.

I can imagine!!

:o

Thanks Dennis, Phil (interesting info by the way!), Alan and Oliver, your encouragement means a lot when tackling a monster like kit this.....

I have almost finished the riveting on the wings.  Pretty much all the radiators (including the under side skins on the leading edge piece)and top cowl are finished.  Just have to do the flap ram access panel on the top on both sides.  I am about to primer it all and fix any wonky or out of align holes that might appear.  But I dont think there will be too many.  Then I can add dzus fasteners and a couple of small items that need to be made for the top cowl (coolant tank door and breather with fairing)

IMG_0829_zpsbrt0ohld.jpg

But my score at the moment is my good mate Mike CAD'd up some highly detailed RP rails with thanks from Avspecs for helping with photos and measurements...thanks everyone!

IMG_0828_zps93zl5uhp.jpg

Thanks again for looking in and your encouragement...means a lot when there is still so much to do.

Cheers Anthony

Yes mate, they are amazing, thank you so very much!!!

We might need to tweak the rail closest to the tank as the attach points are a wee bit too close together, the outboard ones are perfect!  I figured out the 2 styles of clip that mount the rails to the mounts.  The early (square shouldered) ones were designed like that for the early Mk1 rail.  When the Mk III rail came into use they changed the clips.  However as you duly noted in photo's the early clips could also go on the late rails.

Cheers

Anthony

Getting close to finishing off the skin work on the upper cowl and radiators.  Still a reasonable amount yet to go, but feeling pretty happy with the results.  

IMG_0834_zpsvm1jfjsa.jpg

I'm dying to get onto the nacelles and rest of the cowl panels.  This riveting really feels like it is bringing this kit to life.  

Thanks for looking in as always and for the inspiration of the other builds going on here

Cheers

Anthony

This just arrived in....good timing as I am almost finished the upper wings and top cowls.  I am just about ready to do the nacelles.  I probably wont use the u/c door skins as I have the Paragon replacement resin doors.

IMG_0843_zps4qhwhe5x.jpg

Onward and upwards.

Thanks Eduard for producing this fine set, and your timing was perfect!

Cheers

Anthony

Ok, so I am going to call it and say this area is done....well after I figure out how to add the fastener head slots, but apart from that...:whistle:

IMG_0855_zpscxrm1z34.jpg

I have really tried to angle it so you can see all the riveting but it is so subtle you can hardly see it.  The idea is that you don't notice it at first, but when you look closer at the model you can see details like these.

On to engine nacelles now I think....

Edited by Anthony in NZ

On 12/28/2018 at 7:26 AM, Anthony in NZ said:

Thanks Dennis, Phil (interesting info by the way!), Alan and Oliver, your encouragement means a lot when tackling a monster like kit this.....

I have almost finished the riveting on the wings.  Pretty much all the radiators (including the under side skins on the leading edge piece)and top cowl are finished.  Just have to do the flap ram access panel on the top on both sides.  I am about to primer it all and fix any wonky or out of align holes that might appear.  But I dont think there will be too many.  Then I can add dzus fasteners and a couple of small items that need to be made for the top cowl (coolant tank door and breather with fairing)

IMG_0829_zpsbrt0ohld.jpg

But my score at the moment is my good mate Mike CAD'd up some highly detailed RP rails with thanks from Avspecs for helping with photos and measurements...thanks everyone!

IMG_0828_zps93zl5uhp.jpg

Thanks again for looking in and your encouragement...means a lot when there is still so much to do.

Cheers Anthony

Wow, great work and nice score on the RP rails!

You first pic (above) - I thought it was a photo of the real thing during restoration!

So, trying to keep this build informative for those of you with this 'big bird' in the hope it will help in some way.

I thought I better do those flap ram cover panels before I move onto the nacelles, then the entire upper wing will be practically done.

IMG_0857_zps3vtdv8zm.jpg

And here is the inside structure so you can see where the riveting will go.

2328%20030_zpsdzysljhl.jpg

Cheers Anthony

Ok, access panels now done.  For those of you who might look at this and think maybe those fasteners are a bit to pronounced.  This photo shows well how they typically look.

3787699056_7a11276f91_b_zpsj7lob7kt.jpg

I have polished up the panels, I think under a coat of paint and a satin/matte finish the results should look very similar...hopefully!

IMG_0858_zpsmfdbxsqx.jpg

IMG_0859_zpsv7jdklzx.jpg

IMG_0860_zpslp36qk4n.jpg

Right-O now onto the nacelles

As always thanks for looking in

Cheers Anthony