75 Sqn RNZAF Mosquito Detailed Build

Anthony in NZ

Wow, back from the dead! LOL

This is all boxed up whilst I decide what to do with it.  Now I have the Tamiya one I am not sure I will ever finish it....

Hey Zac, you are correct mate, the Auster has been taking up my time(and money). Although I am working on my RNZAF Skyhawk conversion which I really want to finish if nothing else right now.

Cheers

Anthony

Funny how the Austers and Luscombes tend to do that! Seriously good work mate...Keep it up!

THOR    :ninja:

Corrosion, corrosion, corrosion. Still hunting a few parts so I can button up the nose section from the firewall to the forward door posts. Having a hard time finding a few things, but I will track them down eventually. That is the great thing about aircraft restoration.....It takes a huge amount of time, a bit of money, and a bit of luck!

Hope your bird is coming along better than mine!

Speak soon mate!

THOR    :ninja:

Similar situation, corrosion not really something I am dealing with much anymore. But location of original military equipment and money are my 2 main challenges. Although still a lot of fun! I have a couple of the old pilots who flew her in the RAF coming over and want to see their old steed, which is pretty cool.

• 1 year later...

Well whaddya know....another from the SOD come back to life.

I have been busy helping a few other people out with Mosquito related questions, supplying measurements and digging deep with many things Mosquito related.  At one point I had to get my kit out to check something and before I knew it I was loosely assembling it and I realized how much work I have put into this thing to correct it's issues. In fact all the structural fixes are done.....I gave up after so much correcting and scratchbuilding, that I cant stop now really.

As much as I love the Tamiya Mosquito and all the involvement I had in the kit's development.  There is just something about the sheer size of this kit that blows me away each time I look at it.  Every time I see a built up one, it stops me in my tracks! So many times I have nearly given it away...I am glad I didn't.  Sorry Damon :unsure: if you read this.

This thing is a real Mojo burner, and so I don't totally burn out on this I shall tinker on my Skyhawk when it starts getting me down. I have thought very long and hard on which SOD kit to focus on.  I would really like to finish this for the NZ Nationals 2019 which I think is in November (anyone have the date?).  There is a lot still to go, but with Roberts new uber detailed nose gun bay(you have seen some of the CAD here already on his own thread) coming out, new Eduard etch as well as a couple of other items, these will make life a lot easier. But plumbing the bomb bay and running control cabling through it is a little  very daunting!

Thanks to Mike (serian01) he has CAD'd me up a set of accurate outboard RP rails in 24th kit especially for me. Thanks mate!!  That was the turning point actually LOL.

Anyway, enough of the talk, I need to sit down and get my head back in the game with this one and see where I am at and where to start again.  I am thinking stressing the skin on the engine nacelles and just riveting the cowls and radiator skins to ease back into it.

As I say to you avid Skyhawk followers, I will be still building that in conjunction with this.

Wish me luck!

Cheers Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

Good to see you back on this one!

I remember when I was building my TR33 how much help you gave me and that seems like a lifetime away!

You aren't alone though, it was a Revell 1/32 mossie that burned me out and is still on the "SOD" as I know I wouldn't be able to just finish the bloody thing without detailing those wheel wells etc etc.

Ok.

Small steps and just ease yourself back into it.

:)

Riveting a 1/24 Mosquito that is mostly wooden is apparently a BIG job.  The trick it seems is to keep everything even and you really have to be precise about your work as it is so big and you see more detail.  Also because there has been so much reprofiling of the wing (there is a lot of CA in there) sometimes you press a rivet and a whole piece chips out which means backfilling with CA again and before going completely rock hard, pressing a new rivet in.  It dosent happen a lot but is a pain when it does.

Here is KA114 getting new upper cowl skins 

278004_448723748494397_356633457_o_zpsjx

Here is where I am at.  I still have to add the Dzus fasteners and tidy up some rivets.  I have just primed it now to see how it looks.  The stbd one is almost done as well.....seems easier to do both sides at the same time as I have templates cut.

IMG_0810_zps2tookxq9.jpg

Still a way to go, but I am really enjoying this!

Thanks for checking in as always, any issues or mistakes spotted always helps...if its constructive :P .  Oh I haven't stressed the skin on the engine cowls as they didn't really get it.  However the nacelle will, like I did with the elevators and ailerons.

Cheers Anthony

Thanks guys.....and as a treat to those following this build.  Here is a couple of photo's my mate Kerry Carlyle  took yesterday of PZ474 getting finishing touches whilst she awaits Steve Hinton's arrival to test fly...

20181220_155521_zpspprhaazc.jpg

20181220_154417_zpscrjhhlvb.jpg

20181220_154258_zpsbs1rnabq.jpg

Dosent she look lovely.....