Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ

Daywalker

Have been slowly but steadily working on this one! The fuselage halves are finally sorted out, after lots of bending, twisting and quite a few shims. I ran into the exact problem with the first one, I and made a note to be more careful on this one. Still, the halves do not line up as well as the rest of the kit. Since the first one isn't painted yet, I had to build a second stand for this one! In the first shot, the two are pictured together.

001-4.jpg

002-2.jpg

003-1.jpg

Thanks guys, I appreciate your looking in!

Jake- I am using your Modern Viper Guide exclusively as a reference now, as a matter of fact- I look through it so much I am afraid I may wear it out sooner than later.

• 2 weeks later...

Some more progress here! The airframe is nearly complete, just need to add the wing parts (temporarily attached in the photo) and sort out the tail, plus a few other minor parts. This build is really picking up speed now, especially after the rather steep learning curve on the first build.

002-3.jpg

A family photo with both jets:

005-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more progress, all of the stores and pylons are now glued up, sanded and the seams filled. It was a lot of work, almost like another kit within a kit. I actually cleaned up all of the parts, including the optional ones. Not sure if I will be hanging the JDAM's under the wings, or the HARMs. Since nobody yet makes a LH HTS pod for station 5L, I am hanging the pod in it's original position on station 5R. I have looked for a photo of a -CJ with the HTS pod on 5R with JDAMs under the wings, but nothing yet. All of them show the HARMs with the HTS pod. I don't have a Litening pod to go with the JDAMs, so will probably end up hanging the missiles under the wings. I also opted for four AIM-120 AMRAAM's, as I plan to save the AIM-9's to modify into CATM's on later Aggressor projects.

Finally, a photo showing all of the bits cleaned up, waiting for paint and final assembly. Getting close now, may have to hold off painting the CA ANG jet so I can paint 'em both at the same time!

004-1.jpg

001-5.jpg

I have looked for a photo of a -CJ with the HTS pod on 5R with JDAMs under the wings, but nothing yet. All of them show the HARMs with the HTS pod

Frank, JDAMs could be carried prior to CCIP. In OEF and again in the initial phases of OIF, the Block 50s and 52s carried GBU-31s with the HTS. Since CCIP has been completed, though, you won't often find the HTS pod in its original location on the right side.

Jake

Jake- Perfect, that is EXACTLY what I was looking for! JDAMs it is then. :speak_cool:

Thanks for explaining about the CCIP. I almost went that route to model one of the Shaw Shooters CCIP birds, but now I am glad I didn't. Any idea if anyone out there is working on a left mount HTS pod? I would if my scratch building skills were more advanced.

Edited by Daywalker

Small update on this one...

The markings I am using are for a block 50 from the 55th FS at Incirlik AB during operation Northern Watch. These aircraft used the AN/ALQ-184 "short" pod, and in the kit Tamiya provides you with a "long" pod. Remembering the extra pod I had built (but do not intend to use) for my California ANG aircraft, I decided to modify the kit pod. I took some basic measurements, and compared these to photos of the short version. Two saw cuts, some truing with a file, and glued the pieces back together to make a quick 184 short pod.

002-6.jpg

The modified pod alongside a stock Tamiya version...

003-3.jpg

• 3 months later...

I have avoided the 1/32nd Viper due to building several in 1/48 and 1/72 scale. Your work has inspired me to take the 1/32nd on. On a side note, I find 1/32nd scale more difficult to build as the attention to detail must be spot on. With the smaller scales I can get away with more flaws but an overly flawed 1/32nd can look less than desirable. Yours looks superb! Thank you for sharing.