Wingnut Wings Roland D.VIa....

Dave J

Engine is all painted up and and ready to be dropped into interior framing and have the fuselage halfs buttoned up. The engine was painted as per colour callouts in the instructions and the black areas had a dry brush of XF-63 German Grey to made some of the detail stand out. I just need to paint the valve springs and add a wash but these can be done later on...

build029.jpg

build028.jpg

I added a flat clear coat to the seat and the wood grain that I applied earlier stood out more. So I am going to leave it as it is and continue on. The Harness was painted with XF-57 Buff and sprayed on a heavy coat of X-19 Smoke to give that worn dirty look.

build030.jpg

build031.jpg

Thanks guys for the comments, much appreciated.

Now the fuselage halfs are all buttoned up, now the fun part I love, adding colour to the exterior... Engine parts are all taped up and cockpit jammed with packing foam.

Roland037.jpg

The first thing I had to do was to remove the inspection hatch cover on the front of the fuselage as per Kissenberth scheme, this was done with one of my favorite tools... Hasegawa's Tritool flat blade chisel.

Roland038.jpg

I have started off painting the white on the tail area, I used Mr Color flat white Lacquer paint.

Roland039.jpg

I love this paint range as it drys very quickly and rock hard. Within 5 minutes of spraying you can throw oil wash onto it. But the only down side that it is hard to find in some countries.

Awesome work Dave! Man I cant wait till the DVII comes out..........every time I see a WnW build I see nothing but quality and hear nothing but good things. :D

I love this paint range as it drys very quickly and rock hard. Within 5 minutes of spraying you can throw oil wash onto it. But the only down side that it is hard to find in some countries.

For those of us in the US, the Model Master "Enamal system" lacquer clears over the top of their enamel paints work very similarly. Ive sprayed the MM Enamel paint and then sprayed clear over it withing miniutes.

Im not sure about 5 min, but they dry exceptionally fast and solid.

Brian

Man I cant wait till the DVII comes out..........:D

Brian

You and me both Brian. In fact, of all of the LSP's that are currently out that I don't yet have, as well as those that have been announced, none of them appeals to me as much as the D.VII

Thanks guys for your comments!

Oh yes! You made my evening with this Dave. I've been sneakily looking at the wood grain effect on the models on the WNW site for an unhealthy period of time ;)

Cheers!

I'm waiting to see what you can do! I am sure that you will nail it!

Edited by moeggo

The white sections are masked up with Tamiya tape ready for a coat of Black for the fuselage...

Roland040.jpg

I have used Tamiya's X-18 Semi-gloss black for the fuselage, but it has been weathered down with some XF15 Flesh to give a worn/faded look.

Roland041.jpg

Close up so you can see the tinted difference of the Fuselage and engine, which is straight from the X-18 Semi Gloss bottle.

Roland043.jpg

Tape removed... A few touch ups are required!

Roland042.jpg

Getting back to some of the smaller parts... The Spandau's... I have drilled a small hole at the bottom of each Spandau and glued a toothpick to them, makes the spray painting process a whole lot easier..

Roland044.jpg

They both have been sprayed with Tamiya X-18 Semi Gloss Black, both look pretty glossy, but they are still wet.. Once dry they will be dry brushed with some grey to make the details pop out.

Roland045-1.jpg

The fuselage has been sprayed with Mr Color Semi Gloss clear Lacquer and started the decal process.

Roland046.jpg

Roland047.jpg

I used the hairdyer technique to get the Edelweiss decals to sit down nicely.

Roland048.jpg

I did have a small mishap over the weekend involving Sprue cutters and my three year old son.....

Roland049.jpg

Luckily, I was able to stop him before he cut all the way through the Fuselage! So the only damage was the internal frame of the cockpit.

Edited by moeggo

• 2 weeks later...

Things have been pretty busy the last couple of weeks, so I have finally found sometime to sit down and get some modelling done.

I was last working on the Spandu's, to recap they have been sprayed with X-18 Semi Gloss Black.

Roland045-1.jpg

and they received a dry brushing of XF-56 Metallic Grey to bring out the details and worn look.

roland051.jpg

Now too the fun part... Lozenge!

I started out by painting the wings with a CDL colour, this case Tamiya's XF-57 Buff and clear vanish over the top of that. And applied the Lozenge as per the instructions...

roland052.jpg

roland053.jpg

roland054.jpg

I started to take photos for the hair dyer technique... but they came out horrible, so I will do them again with the top wing...

All the smaller parts are now painted, and ready to be attached at some point...

roland055.jpg

And a quick dry fit to make sure they fit...

roland057.jpg

roland058.jpg

A word of warning.... Be careful around the Photo Etch jackets of the Spandu's! The can damage pretty easily!

roland056.jpg

I don't know what I did, but I will have to remove the squashed jacket and re-roll and paint it! :(

Edited by moeggo