F-4G Weasel

BloorwestSiR

Okay, so this is my first group build. After reading about it in the main forum, i decided to pull out this long planned but never started project and give it a try.

Here's a pic of everything I've bought over the years in preparation for doing this:

c6e74ac6.png

On top of the freezer, I have:

- Tamiya's F-4EJ kit

- Cutting Edge "G" conversion kit

- TAC Scale "G" conversion kit

- Avionix "E" cockpit

- Aires burner cans

- Cutting Edge burner cans

- Paragon wing slats

- DMold intakes

- ejection seats from ?

- Eduard Big Ed set plus some extra PE

- Nautlius reinforcements

- AMS SUU 23 gun pods

Not shown is the Revell kit I'll be using as a donor for the belly tank, ECM pod and slatted wing tips

For markings! I have the following decal sets:

ebfb0130.png

I can't use the Chico markings on this build so I'll save them for my 2nd F-4EJ kit and build that in the future.

I still haven't decided which one I'll do except that it'll be in the two tone grey (can't remember the name of it)

Carl

Thanks for te encouragement guys.

I will definitely end up with leftover parts so I guess it's a good thing I have the second kit to spread the goodies around with :rolleyes:

So, while waiting for some parts on my Spitfire XIV to dry, I started working on the nose of the Weasel.

After checking the fit of the CE nose, I decided to try and make my own. I figured that since Tamiya gives you 2, I have 2 chances to get it wrong and go with the one in the conversion.

da18396a.png

6efe29cd.png

The panel lines on the CE one are a bit soft and there's some vents missing along the bottom. the fit along the cockpit coaming area isn't all that great either.

I'm not sure how to replicate the side facing radar sensor thingy ( the square with the 5 dots in it ) so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Now back to the Spit.

Carl

wow, what a pile of aftermarket! i love the hill grey shemes. if you dont use the CE nose, would you sell it?

thanx

karl

So Hill Grey is the name for the camo. Thanks, wasn't sure that's what it was called. Thought it might have been Egypt One for some reason.

If I don't use the nose, then sure, I'll sell it. Might as well let someone else make use of it. One good thing, if you start with a E/EJ kit instead of the D suggested by CE, you don't actually have to do any cutting to the nose.

Carl

Sure, I'll keep you posted if I don't need it.

One thing though, if you want to use it on a Revell F-4E, I have the nose from the TAC scale G conversion for that kit. That I can send you n/c if you don't mind paying for shipping. The only catch is the nose has the same shape problems as the stock kit. I'll to get a pic up for you next time I'm at my workbench.

Carl

Not sure if it was sold under the CAM label as well. It did come with a pair of HARM missiles and pylons as well as the instrument panel and tail radar. I'll check if the nose is two pieces. I know that Flightpath did the nose mounted housing as a separate part but was never able to find it in stock.

Carl

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A small update. One hurdle I've had with this build was how to replicate the small square radar receivers on the side of the nose. Looking at the CE nose, I wasn't sure how to make my own. Then after checking a couple photos of the actual aircraft, I noticed that they had it wrong. The radar sensor looks more like a plate rather than something that's outlined. So here's what I have come up with.

68e8bde6.png

I used Archer transfers for the small circular sensors applied to a small square of plastic.

I also started work on the fuselage. I removed the intake trunks to get it ready for fitting the DMold intakes. I also removed some of the BDR patches. The E fuselage is the one in the foreground and the one in the background is for a J.

383e7e60.png

In case anyone is wondering about the differences between the DMold and Rhino intakes, here they are side by side:

4ebc1cc6.png

7dffb920.png

The DMold one is on top. It still has the BDR patch on it and the scribed details are slightly different between the two. From the inner side, you can see that the DMold one has a lip for the fuselage to fit against while the Rhino one has the original attachment point still on it. So, they're definitely not from the same masters.

Carl

I'm not sure how to replicate the side facing radar sensor thingy ( the square with the 5 dots in it ) so any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'd suggest some strip styrene Carl. 1mm wide..use CA glue and create a square the same size, let it harden and then round over the sharp corners. For the discs you could use a punch and die set and some evergreen styrene. Then I'd imagine simply glue the lot in the right place on the nose.

Do you have a piccie of the TAC Scale F4G nose? I have a resin casting from somewhere off LSP and can't recall what its meant to be for. I've been suspecting for the Wild Weasel conversion but can't recall.

Good luck...love the Weasels.

Cheers Matty

• 9 months later...

Although we're fast coming to the end of this group build, I just wanted to let folks know that I haven't stopped working on this kit. Just took a really long time to figure out what to do about the whole slatted wing bit. I looked at just swapping the outer wing section from the Revell kit but very quickly realized that was not going to work. My next approach was to slice apart the Tamiya and Revell parts and graft one together from the two. A Frankenwing of sorts. So I started doing the prep work and began going down that road when I saw this come out:

3ea93a97.jpg

The answers to my problems :thumbsup:

It's a very simple conversion set. You fill in some panel lines on the lower wing, measure and mark the location for the actuator fairings, and glue them on. The outer wing attaches the same way the stock one would have. If you use the included TISEO then it gets a bit more complicated. I don't think the G carried it so if anyone needs it, let me know.

4614f08f.jpg

So going forward, how do I get this thread moved to WiP so I can continue once the GB ends? Is that allowed?

Carl