Do - 335

Loic

Hello guys,

Can I please ask if any of you knows and could eventually recommand me some good intel about the Do-335?

I do have the Monogram close up but I do not no anything about the other available books so any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks a lot in advance!

I have this book, excellent pictures, drawings and info.

Dornier Do 335: The Luftwaffe's Ultimate Piston-engine Fighter

By Eddie J. Creek and Richard Smith

It certainly has a lot of pictures of the Do-335 I have not seen before. Given your previous projects Loic, are you converting the 1/33 paper D0-335 model to a scratchbuild?

I wonder whether we will see Dragons 1/32 Do-335 this year?

Cheers

Tony

I'd recommend any one of these three. I like the AJ Press book the most, though the other two are also real nifty. Sorry about the crop job on the Monogram book, it's larger than my scanner bed.

DornierDo-3352.jpg

DornierDo-335.jpg

DornierDo-3351.jpg

I have a lot,if not most of the publications on the Do-335. I fell in awe of this esoteric machine when I saw my first photo just before getting into high school. I agree about the AJ Press Monographie and Monogram Monarch book. Another good one is Schiffer's hardback book on the Pfiel. Schiffer books are hit and miss, but this one is similar to the Monogram book with many different photos.

Schiffer's book

It's really an English translation of the German publication by Aviatic Verlag:

Aviatic Verlag

Great photos in all of these.

Gary

waiting for more news on the Dragon kit

Dornier Do 335 Pfeil/Arrow: The Luftwaffe's Fastest Piston-Engined Fighter, by Smith, Creek and Roletschek (Classic series, No. 13; Classic Publications [uK], 2006; 176 pages), is among the best books on the Do 335, in my opinion, and it's still available from Amazon, for example:

51vbg2Tp76L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Charles Metz

Thanks a lot guys.

I am in the process of questionning myself if I should try SB this one or not so any available intel would be welcome. I will certainly let you know if I decide to give this one a try.

Many, many thanks again!

If you're considering either a scratch build or a vacform build I would very seriously consider purchasing a set of Arthur Bentley's Do 335 drawings.

They are pretty definitive, cover all the built versions, incorporate detail on internal equipment and structure. They are the doggies danglies. Here's a taster from Arthur's site (low res so don't bother right clicking!)

do335.GA5.jpg

I siincerely hope Dragon bought a set of these, as well as visiting the real deal in Germany (is it in Germany or the US at the moment?).

There's several pages of plans, see http://www.albentley-drawings.com/dornier_do335.htm

HTH

Matt

Yep, that is the book that I recommended and the drawings are a big plus. Interestingly I have an old copy of Scale Models International that has the Bentley drawings included as well and there are several changes between them and the ones in the hardcover book so AB has updated them over the years.

The authors of it (Smith and Creek) are also two of the authors of the Monogram Monarch book, so I allways assumed that it would include all the info that the earlier book did.

Cheers

Tony

Thanks again for all your advices guys.

I now need to make my mind on wether I give it a try or not and if yes, what intel I should aim for.

Just in case anyone has info on the Dragon release, please let us know cause even if I do not mind SB something that is supposed to be released "sometimes" (we all know that "sometimes" can sometaimes mean "longtime"), it would be little stupid to do it if it gets available the next month...

Hi Loic,

Fascinating aircraft - I hadn't realised that there was so much reference material available for this aircraft (I wish that there were as much for some other aircraft types!dry.gif ). You could consider scratch building this beast in 1/24 scale, that way, it would not matter what dragon release (or when), and it would stretch your SB skills a little at the same time (meeting the challenge of how to produce all of those awkward little things that we can normally adapt or pinch from other 1/32 scale aircraft kits!)...It would also provide you with the opportunity to really go stupid on the detail side, which would equate to a really stunning model when completed (I'm not 100% certain, but I think that A L Bentley can reproduce his drawings to 1/24 scale, so you have a good head start).

Best of luck, whatever you decide

Derek

Thanks a lot guys.

I am in the process of questionning myself if I should try SB this one or not so any available intel would be welcome. I will certainly let you know if I decide to give this one a try.

Many, many thanks again!

HI there

Just to let you know I have the patterns here for one in 1/32 scale which is a vac form single seat version. I can let you see it if you like and then perhaps if you want one I can pull it for you.?

John

Here you go DO-335-1.jpg

Edited by tigger