Sign in to follow this  
blackbetty

F-4C questions

hi guys, i can barely hold back to join the groupbuild but am dead set on finishing the mig first

i would like to do an early weasel, partly because i have an ancient superscale sheet with "rub-a-dub-dub-two-men-im-a-tub" (ZG tailcode) and the tamiya kit.

so its best to accumulate some aftermarket. where do i get a MK 5 seat? Cutting edge my only chance?

i have the CE seamless intake, these dont have a trunk, just the forward part. any body ever use these? i think i will get the rhino intakes, the F-18 intakes i have are very nice.

one of the real drawbacks of the revell kit are the intakes/nose. i have nose correction parts for my desert storm G, but has anybody tried to graft on intakes that were made for the tamiya kit?

karl

(who neeeever takes the easy way :deadhorse: )

Edited by blackbetty

I'm not sure I can help with everything, but I'll try where I can.

As far as the seats go, if the particular a/c you're doing uses the Mk5 seats (the 7 was retrofitted into most early F-4's as some point, so it matters the time frame you're modeling), CE made them, as you said, but AMS also makes them, I believe. Aires has a seat as well. Look for seats for an F-8, as they used the Mk5.

I saw the CE intakes a friend's place and I'm not exactly sure how they can be advertised as seamless, since you still have to use the kit seam-full rear trunking, which is where the big issues are.

D-Mold, available from Victory Models, makes a really, really nice set, that fit extremely well once the proper sections are removed from the kit. They are very much worth it.

As far as grafting made for Tamiya parts onto the Revell kit, you would probably be able to pull off the nose, but the intakes could be trouble, since the Revell kit has a noticably different contour on the sides of the fuselage. I haven't tried to swap any parts between them.

Good luck!

Chris

The CE intakes are the basis for the Dmold ones. From all of the scuttlebutt the Dmold intakes were created by the pattern maker for CE and as far as I could tell, are identical.

Now, I can't say with any certainty at all, other than the old Mk.I eyeball, but the Rhino intakes appear to also be virtually identical. None of these addressed the rear tubes, just the intakes. Rhino includes engine fan faces where the CE did not (I don't think). The fit and details of all three are excellent. One could speculate that Dmold and Rhino are but copies of the CE intakes. I don't know the provenance of any of them so I refrain from such speculation.

My point is this: The Seamless Suckers are a giant PITA to install. If you want seamless and don't want to go the plasti-card and cursing route; use any of the three mentioned here. You won't go wrong either way.

I heard that too about the D-Molds, but I saw some CE ones that only went back as far as the kit forward intake pieces which sound like the ones Karl was talking about. I even made a comment about how they could possibly call them seamless.

I just did a search and found a set reviewed on the internet, and those look similar to the D-Mold ones. Maybe there's a couple versions of the CE ones floating around.

I can vouch for the good fit of the D-Mold ones first hand. They use the kit engine faces, which fit and look fine burried in the intake, and they give the entire intake (minus the splitter, which, again, fits great) from the engine all the way to the front lip.

D-Mold Intake pics at Victory Models

Chris

Edited by csavaglio

I heard that too about the D-Molds, but I saw some CE ones that only went back as far as the kit forward intake pieces which sound like the ones Karl was talking about. I even made a comment about how they could possibly call them seamless.

I just did a search and found a set reviewed on the internet, and those look similar to the D-Mold ones. Maybe there's a couple versions of the CE ones floating around.

I can vouch for the good fit of the D-Mold ones first hand. They use the kit engine faces, which fit and look fine burried in the intake, and they give the entire intake (minus the splitter, which, again, fits great) from the engine all the way to the front lip.

Chris

I just double-checked myself, and there are some substantial differences between the Dmold and Rhino products. I'm on my way out the door right now but I'll snap a few pics and explain the differences later. Chris, keep in mind that these are only marketed as intakes. There are some seamless afterburner tubes on the market as well, but that's at the other end of the horse, so to speak. :rolleyes: The CE and Dmold versions are the most similar. After a quick comparison between the Dmold and Rhino I'd have to say that Rhino has the best of the three. For starters, the Rhino intakes are cast from white resin and can be left un-painted. The Dmold intakes are 'white' but its actually a bit yellowish. You may end-up still wanting to paint the trunking which can be tricky. I still say that whichever of the three you can lay your hands on, you'll be pretty happy.

Ah, yes, none of the intakes include the tail pipes as far as I know. The CE tail cones are just the nozzles, but the Aires set comes with the pipe as well. The short nozzles fit great, but I've heard the Aires long nozzle version is undersized and creates a gap around between the nozzle and the airframe.

The D-Mold ones I have looked pure white, but I'll have to take a look again and compare it to a know bright white. They didn't seem like they needed paint, but I'll have to check.

The MB mk 7 starting showing up around 67-69. As mentioned above the 7's replaced the 5's. Seamless intakes I have had them all well almost lol.

CE version 1 It is the forward part of the intake and uses the kit tunnels. I thought they were PIA!

CE version 2 A full set drops in for the most part

Seamless suckers Full trunk still a PIA to get in there

Dmold I have them and will use them on the next phantom

Rhino I can only speak to the quality of the F-18e/f intakes and they are great. If the phantom intake are as nice as the 18s they they will work well. The current sets on ebay come with res wheels. A nice touch indeed.

Here's a side-by-side of the Dmold and Rhino intakes:

post-3154-0-28610600-1296682897.jpg

As you can see the Rhino intakes are much whiter. The trunking is also a bit longer which (IMHO) looks a bit more accurate when looking down them. The installation is essentially identical but the Rhino has worked the lip differently. Nothing to trim. Both fit the kit's splitter plates perfectly. The engine fan face is an improvement over the Tamiya parts as well. Apparently Rhino now includes a set of wheels as well although I'm not sure if they're Navy or Air Force versions. So there you have it!

After seeing the two, the Rhino ones look like the way to go. I fitted in my D-molds last night and they went in just fine, but I did have to thin the kit's leading edge a bit. Since I already had them, they are good enough for me.

As far as the color, mine are much whiter than the set you got. I sprayed the intake splitter white and compared them, and mine matched pretty close. I wonder if he used a different resin or dye on different batches.

The auction on Ebay for the Rhino intakes says F-4J and the wheels look like the Navy style, assuming the Brassin wheels are correct.

Chris

Edited by csavaglio