1/24 P-51 landing gear

JRutman

ok Jerry

now some 1/24 P-51D wheel wells would be nice, to go with those fine legs. as i'm waiting to get the parts together for my other 1/32 project :ninja:

i've gotten out the old 1/24 Fw 190-D project that i got from you o so many years ago. :blink:

starting on it again :beer:

glen :piliot:

ok Jerry

now some 1/24 P-51D wheel wells would be nice, to go with those fine legs. as i'm waiting to get the parts together for my other 1/32 project :ninja:

i've gotten out the old 1/24 Fw 190-D project that i got from you o so many years ago. :blink:

starting on it again :beer:

glen :piliot:

Maybe one day buddy but right now I want to finish that 1/32 scale P-51 kit!! Here are the connectors for the gear door cover. I made the pins on the end long so they could be trimmed to fit by the modeler.

001-88.jpg

Hey Jerry

There seems to be some interest in this gear and I was thinking perhaps there may also be interest in some other 1/24 scale details that aren't currently available. Similar gear for the Trumpeter 109s may be of interest to myself as well as others and also for the Trumpeter and Airfix Fw190s. There are very few aftermarket gunbays, wheelbays or a proper P-51 cockpit available in 1/24. Maybe some other members could comment on this. A lot of your 1/32 scale products have been covered by recent releases from other companies and you have discontinued them but perhaps if you wanted, you could expand into the 1/24 scale. The fit and detail on any of the 1/32 products I bought from you in the past was super and I'm sure if you decided to do 1/24 they would be the same. Anybody else?

can brass be cast with the same detail levels?

I think so. If you use the lost wax casting method. I will check into it and see first.

I vetted the new landing gear on the P-51sig and was glad that I did as they always stear me in the correct direction. It turns out that the door cover attachment arms are not the same in mirror image as I had thought. I did have the correct kink in the trailing edge arm but the leading edge arm is more straight and has a different kink.There is also a channel in the top side that I didn't know about. Changes were made. Here is the end result.

001-89.jpg

Brass is great and I would pay the higher price. I have a couple of Gfactor brass gears and the detail is super. The brass is also much smoother than the white metal, on the Gfactor sets anyway, and the details are super clean.

You might check with Jeff at Tigermodels. They do fantastic work and are looking to expand into aircraft stuff, and I believe he does casting for others, too. Www.tigermodels.com. Jeff's e-mail is info@tigermodels.com .

I was going to show how the attachment arms linked to the gear door and when I pulled out the airfix and trumpy doors discovered that they both had almost no detail on the inside surface. So to show the correct attachment points I had to make new doors. Here are the 2 examples,mine is on the right. It still needs a little putty in the middle to fair in the stamping portion. The attachment arms hook up to the bolts on the sides of the rows of lightening holes.

001-90.jpg