USMC F-4B

Barry

I'm all fired up for this one. :m0152:

Here is the history behind the build:
VMFA-122_Sq_patch.jpg
In January 1965, VMF(AW)-122 returned after cross-training with the US Air Forces 40th Fighter Interceptor Squadron at Yakota AB, Japan. Reformed at MCAS El Toro, Calif. for the transition to the F-4B "Phantom". In the interim phase, the squadron flew F-8Bs. On July 1, 1965, VMF(AW)-122 was redisignated a Marine Fighter Attack (VMFA) squadron. The "Crusaders" served as a replacement training squadron until the first TRANSPAC to the Republic of Vietnam in August 1967. During operations from Da Nang Air Base, the "Crusaders" flew their first combat sorties September 1, 1967. During the next five months, the squadron flew 2,540 sorties and delivered 4,800 tons of ordnance. During the Khe Sahn siege which followed the Tet Offensive, they accrued 745 flight hours on 629 combat sorties and dropped 1,300 tons of ordnance in February 1968 alone. On September 1, 1968, VMFA-122 rotated from Da Nang to MCAS Iwakuni, Japan. The "Crusaders" redeployed to Vietnam in the summer of 1969 reporting to the Marine Air Base, Chu Lai.

The look and configuration:
Scans from Squadron/Signal Pub. USMC Phantoms in Combat#6353, painting by: Lou Drendel.
Posted for illustration purposes only under Fair Use: http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html
VMFA-122_F-4B.jpg

Time period photo at MCAS El Toro 1966
F-4B_VMFA-122_MCAS_ElToro_1966A.jpg

In country photos
Gun Pods are not Vulcan as stated.They were the HIPEG (High Performance External Gun)
It was a twin-barreled, high-speed 20 mm aircraft machine gun pod.

scan0045.jpg

endoftour12.jpg

What I'll use:
Tamiya F-4J
Cutting Edge: F-4B airframe conversion sets for F-4J 32180 and 32187
Cutting Edge: Mk5 ejection seats w/o belts
Cutting Edge: AIM-9B set 32015
DMold: F-4 seamless intakes 32001
AMS Resin: HIPEG 20mm gun pods; 32047 x1, 32048 x2
Wolfpack Design: hard wing flaps down set 32024 + scratch built Inboard LE Flaps
Master Details: Aircrew some combination of torsos and heads.
CAM Decals: VMFA-122 set 29
Cockpit: Kit with kitbashed fwd instrument panel and radar scope.

My vision is to build a in-flight display show a/c shortly after rotation with landing gear retraction nearly complete.
Flaps will be down and engines will be in full A/B.
I trying to figure a way to create A/B flames and have mounting hidden within flame. Anyone got any ideas? :hmmm:

Step One; get started: DMold intakes and CE B wing upper halves fitted.
P1010101.jpg

Let's have fun and honor those who flew and maintained this icon of Aviation History.

Barry

Edited by Barry

That's gonna be sweet Barry! She'll sure be menacing with those gun pods. I saw a build somewhere that used clear acrylic rod through the exhausts to support it for an inflight display. I would think you could then use fiber optic or led light for the flame??? Just a thought.

Looking forward to seeing more!

Short update.

Got both DMold intakes and CE upper B wing panels very close to final fit so that I could proceed with the flap down installation.

Well I'm here to tell you neither Cutting Edge nor Wolfpack Designs ever though someone would :mental: actually try and build flaps down using the CE wing and the WP flaps. I created a lot of resin dust and quite frankly was very apprehensive :frantic: about cutting up an expensive OOP CE kit. I started with the outboard LE flap and so far I’ve got a handle on it; took most of the afternoon but I’ve got “one” roughed in.

I’ll have to create my own inboard LE flaps as the WP set is for an E or J with the fixed inboard flaps.

Nobody has a “extra” Tamiya lower wing section do they? :rofl:

I’ll post pictures when I get a little further along.

Barry

Harvey,

The set is listed as Hard Wing Flaps Down. It is made for the E or J models.

I believe they are specifically made for the Japanese E/J. "Remove incorrect information"

However the flaps were basically the same on all non-slated wings.

I said basically I did not say the same! There are differences and this answer is not intended to be a history lesson on Phantom flaps.

I believe they can be adapted to any hard wing Phantom with some modifications.

The Inboard LE Flap section was fixed sometimes in the late 60s early 70s from what Ive been able to determine. If youre building a B or C and D (I think) prior to this time you will need to have the Inboard section lowered as well for flaps down. This is what I need for the B Im doing for the 67 to 69 time period as this mod would not have likely been a field mod but a depot level mod.

Barry

Edited by Barry

Thanks Barry !. I did some web searching and am hard fought to find pics of any E's in revetments or flight line with any flaps down. Huh. Maybe I will forgo this. Cant even find pics with landing flaps down. Is this the "norm" for parking?. Once again sorry for pushing in.....Harv

Harvey,

Unless there was a problem the flaps were retracted immeditely upon landing usually during roll out or at least before entering the de-arm area.

The Phantom had enough opportinities to "bite" while moving around her especially underneath. The crew in the de-arm area did not need the flaps down to worry with. The Ailerons would droop down after hydraulic pressure bleed off after engine shut down but that was about it while parked.

You questions are always welcomed by myself and others as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Barry

Here are photos of the hacking on the “hunnard dollar kits”.

One issues with fitting the WP Flap set to the CE upper wing in the thickness of the resin as opposed to the plastic lower wing. It required a lot of scrapping and sanding.

“Remember Health Hazard” protect yourself and wear a mask; I use a cartridge filter respirator. They are pretty cheap at the “do it yourself” depot stores.

P1010112A.jpg

P1010110.jpg

P1010111.jpg

Now I have to actually cut up another Tamiya kit wing to create the I/B LE Flap section. :wacko:

Barry

Thanks,

The fuselage is OOB.

Wing fitting required lots of filing and sanding as did intakes.

The wing will get a final tightening up after I get flaps fitted and final fit of intakes.

I want to avoid as much filler as possible.

Looks like a good fit to me.

You had mentioned that the ailerons drooped following shutdown and a drop in hydraulic pressure. Was this the case with all Phantoms? Did they drop equally? What would be the right angle to position them? Phrantic minds want to know.