Sign in to follow this  
csavaglio

F-4C Bolo

Um, well, ok...ish. I taped it up and test fit everything to make sure I'd be able to get them on after the airframe was put together. It's tight, as the aires pipes are a hair too close set to each other. A little bit of prying, and they should go on just fine. I should have shimmed them apart a little.... .010" would have been plenty, but everything was already CA'ed together and I didn't want to crack the pipes prying them apart.

Chris

Guest Nigelr32

Um, well, ok...ish. I taped it up and test fit everything to make sure I'd be able to get them on after the airframe was put together. It's tight, as the aires pipes are a hair too close set to each other. A little bit of prying, and they should go on just fine. I should have shimmed them apart a little.... .010" would have been plenty, but everything was already CA'ed together and I didn't want to crack the pipes prying them apart.

Chris

It's funny you should say that chris, as i had to do the same on my F-4E. I used 0.010" on each side to push the nozzles out to fill the fuse.

I also sliced the rear of the fuse, under the nozzles and pulled the fuselage in to get rid of the gaps at the outer lower extremes of that joint.

Yeah, the exhaust tubes needed to be shimmed. Just not a good design on how the exhaust goes in altogether, and the Aires center piece being too narrow didn't help things. I ended up breaking off one side and re-gluing it in shimmed. It tooks some wrestling, but the nozzles are on. I would have left them until later, but I'm not taking them back off.

C

Not to make anyone jealous, but I'm sitting in the cafe at the big Swiss air museum near Zurich having breakfast overlooking a Mustang, Fokker D.VII and others.

I will be back at it on the Phantom next week when I get home.

I did manage to pick up a Tamiya J kit for a song on eBay as well as some Yellow Hammer decals at a local German shop to do the Marine Mig killer, so I will likely have 2 builds in the GB.

As I also mentioned, when I get home, I'll post lots of good pics of some C and J model birds from here in Germany and Peterson AFB in CO.

Chris

Edited by csavaglio

Not to make anyone jealous, but I'm sitting in the cafe at the big Swiss air museum near Zurich having breakfast overlooking a Mustang, Fokker D.VII and others.

I will be back at it on the Phantom next week when I get home.

I did manage to pick up a Tamiya J kit for a song on eBay as well as some Yellow Hammer decals at a local German shop to do the Marine Mig killer, so I will likely have 2 builds in the GB.

As I also mentioned, when I get home, I'll post lots of good pics of some C and J model birds from here in Germany and Peterson AFB in CO.

Chris

I've been there and I'm still jealous!

:m0152:

Looking forward to the pictures.

Barry

Thanks, guys.

Harold, I have a pair of your MB 5 seats I got at Sprue Bros starting to get paint on them :thumbsup: .....

Chris