Sign in to follow this  
csavaglio

F-4C Bolo

I'm gathering up the research and barely getting started on this beast. With any luck, at the end, I'll have the a/c Olds flew during Operation Bolo.

The more I look into it, the more trouble it looks like. I've got a set of Brassin seats, which, turns out, are wrong for that plane....they are Martin-Baker 7 seats and that a/c would have had a 5.

Anyhow, here's how it's shaping up:

Tamiya F-4C kit

D-Mold seamless intakes

Eduard interior set

What will likely be custom printed decals

Brassin wheels

Some sort of seats, maybe modified Brassin M-B 7's into 5's....

I may have started this a couple days ago......just odd timing on the GB coming up, as I was leaning toward this project before anyhow....

The parts that needed to be removed for the intakes are shown hacked off on one side. The black X's are a general guide for me to remove the raised panels. I did notice there were very few raised ppanels on the C at the Peterson AFB museum when I went out there Wednesday.

Here's to being first to post ;) Now everyone catch up :)

Chris

DSCN0995.jpg

DSCN0994.jpg

DSCN0993.jpg

SEA camo is awesome! Looking forward to seeing 680 come to life. I think you might have a time modifying -7's into -5's. They are a bit different. I thought about reworking the kit seats until I got a good pic of a -5.

Be careful with the raise panels. I started to just sand off the raised sections until I realized they actually represented some panels rather than the misconception that they were bdr patches. I then had to rescribe a bunch of stuff.

I am curious to see those intakes.

I'm gathering up the research and barely getting started on this beast. With any luck, at the end, I'll have the a/c Olds flew during Operation Bolo.

The more I look into it, the more trouble it looks like. I've got a set of Brassin seats, which, turns out, are wrong for that plane....they are Martin-Baker 7 seats and that a/c would have had a 5.

Anyhow, here's how it's shaping up:

Tamiya F-4C kit

D-Mold seamless intakes

Eduard interior set

What will likely be custom printed decals

Brassin wheels

Some sort of seats, maybe modified Brassin M-B 7's into 5's....

I may have started this a couple days ago......just odd timing on the GB coming up, as I was leaning toward this project before anyhow....

The parts that needed to be removed for the intakes are shown hacked off on one side. The black X's are a general guide for me to remove the raised panels. I did notice there were very few raised ppanels on the C at the Peterson AFB museum when I went out there Wednesday.

Here's to being first to post ;) Now everyone catch up :)

Chris

DSCN0995.jpg

DSCN0994.jpg

DSCN0993.jpg

here are some other things you might consider.

http://partsrparts.homestead.com/F4parts.html

Bruce

Chris,

In you first photo showing the raised panels.

Left side along top of intake when there are 5 X's grouped together.

Do not sand away completely the 2 long center panels in that grouping.

Although they should be "flush" they are not part of the "Battle Damage Repair" panels Tamiya copied.

They are the Doors for the RAT (Ram Air Turbine). Try to save the hing lines as they will be diffcult to re-scribe!

The Phantom had very few "raised" panels; as you know it was a Mach 2 aircraft. ;)

Barry

The X's were just a quick reference for myself when I started going ape-**** with the sandpaper. I didn't X a few that I should of and I noticed these as I was sanding. I did know about the panels, but I find it easier to scribe on a smooth surface than scribing around raised detail and then sanding. I'm not sure I like the raised hinges, so those have to go.

Yesterday, I went over to a friend's place and gathered up some intel for the model. In addition, he hooked me up with an early style centerline tank and the proper early, straight leading edged, navy style pylons.

Still needed are the earlier Mk.5 seats and the decals. Another buddy of mine has the seats, so it's just a matter of picking them up.

As far as the decals, I have to possibilities. I've had an offer to send me the individual a/c marking from Fox One, so that is the most likely possibility. I'd have to add the other markings, but that's easy, as Two Bobs has a sheet for the E that should still be available. The other is having a custom sheet printed.

Part of me wants to put the project on hold until I'm sure I have everything I need to do it.

As far as the BDR, just to set the record straight....

The rumor was that Tamiya used a BDR airplane (an old airframe shot up to give the guys a chance to practice repairing battle damage). This is not quite true. I was stationed in Okinawa for a couple years just after the turn of the century (sounds like a long time ago) and for the last 5 years, I've spent 3-6 weeks a year there. I'm very familiar with that airplane and have been up close to it a number of times. It's in a sort of air park on Kadena AFB, and you can walk right up to the planes...there's no barriers keeping you away.

The panels that are on there sure enough are there. They are battle damage repair panels, but the damage was sustained while in combat in South East Asia.

The airplane served a while, so the stiffening panels that are on there are retrofits. As far as the RAT panels and a few other access panels being raised, I'm not sure why Tamiya did this.

The bottom line....Tamiya, for the most part, faithfully reproduced the airplane as it sits right now (and 20+ years ago) on Kadena.

Edited by csavaglio

The decals are on the Fox One sheet.....It looks like I have the hook up on the decals from another forum member, all but the little red lions....but I managed to print them in light grey on some decal sheet, and trace over in red paint. I did a handful of them and they look pretty ok. Should be plenty fine on a weathered SEA plane.

I ended up just ordering some AMS seats from Sprue Brothers, so that's taken care of.

Looks like it's all a go. I haven't done much photo worthy, just lots of parts prep. I did assemble the intakes with the splitters and engine faces and get it all painted up. Once I thinned the alignment tabs on the slitters down a little, everything fit like a glove.

I painted the intake lip and splitter face to make it easier to mask later....that way I can just stuff the intakes with wet paper towel and be done with it.

This is pretty fun....it's a challenge to get it right and get the right stuff together.

Edited by csavaglio

Gentlemen, I haven't posted updates in a while (for me) but I have been working here and there on the big Phantom.

The cockpit got some Eduard PE, the pipes are Aires and the nozzles are just being test fit. Unlike the horror stories I've heard about undersized long nozzles, these fit great and fill the hole.

DSCN1003.jpg

DSCN1005.jpg

DSCN0998.jpg

DSCN1000.jpg

DSCN0999.jpg

Gentlemen, more fun for you....

The wingtips weren't too bad. OOB, they were at way too great an angle, even just by eye. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out how the plane was supposed to sit on the Nautilus jig I borrowed, so I did it the non-cheating way. I glued a protractor I printed to some cardboard and cut it off at 12.5 degrees. Turns out, a piece of .010" strip glued to the top of the wing set the tips at just about the right angle, so it shouldn't take hardly any filler.

The AMS seats came in and fit fine....no pic though.

I know there was some curiosity about how the D-Mold intakes fit....I probably could've done a better job making sure everything was more flush, but it's really not as bad as it looks with the filler. They fit as good as the stock ones do. I'd imagine the Rhino ones go on easier because they don't have the lip so the leading edge of the fuselage doesn't have to be thinned.

Somehow, the front of the fuselage bottom/wing, ended up about .010" farther after than the upper section at the nose. The panel lines all line up, so no idea what's up there. I used a piece of strip styrene to fill the gap between the lower section and the radome.

That's about it...everything else is going swell and it's starting to look vaguely like a Phantom.

C

DSCN1006.jpg

DSCN1007.jpg

DSCN1010.jpg

DSCN1009.jpg

Kind of a quick update....I got distracted by a 1/48 P-39, the Eduard limited edition Over New Guinea kit. Guess that's how it goes. I forgot how quick the smaller ones go together.

Anyway, the main airframe is primered and pretty much ready for paint other than a few touch up spots.

The inboard pylons took a bit more effort than I originally thought. I used the early straight Navy style pylons out of the Revell kit. I used the kit pylon anti-sway pieces, but the rears were trimmed down a bit. I had to add the mounting pegs to mate up to the wing. I also added the anti sway hardware, including the lugs, all made from bits of styrene. The bolt heads are slices of Plastruct hex rod. All in all, a lot of work that will likely go un-noticed at the end. I also had to modify the kit sidewinder rails, since they are of the later stand-off style....their stand-off pegs were removed and their mounts were added in styrene strip.

It's not 100% accurate, but it's a lot closer than what's in the box.

C

DSCN1016.jpg

Edited by csavaglio

Chris,

Very nice work the nozzles look great as does the cockpit.

The pylon is taking shape quite nicely!

Barry

I have slowed down a bit on the big Phantom...other projects have been catching my interest. Kind of like modeling ADD or something.

Anyhow, I worked on it a bit today. I got the outboard weapons pylon pretty much finished and ready for the ALQ pod, which is being ripped directly out of the Trumpeter F-105 kit. I was going to mod it, but being that they borrowed the pods from a Thud unit, I wouldn't see them being different. I'm sure I'll be proven wrong when it's too late to change it.

The centerline tank is the early/navy style from the newer Revell kit. The pylon isn't wide enough since it's supposed to cover the mounting gear on the underside of the F-4. I removed the center area and sheeted it with styrene sheet, then blended it all together. Probably not 100% accurate, but tucked up under there, it'll be hard t call it out.

I started the painting with the bare metal areas. On this a/c, the top parts of the fuselage that would normally be bare were camo'ed. I sprayed everything Alclad aluminum, then went over the different panels with dark aluminum on the stabs, just using post-it notes as a quick mask. I finished it up with a post shading job using steel.

I have to get going on the uber tedious task of cleaning up the missile parts.

Chris

DSCN1034.jpg

DSCN1033.jpg

DSCN1037.jpg