WNW Roland D VIa

Hagar

Well I have this build in a couple of forums. Not sure if that is proper etiquette or not, but there you go.

I recently got the Gotha and Roland D VI for Christmas and have started the Roland. I would appreciate any WWI gurus pointing out anything of note as this isnt really my genre of modeling. But it is fun and the kit is a dream to build.

Did the wood in Vallejo buff and then burnt umber. Batched up the green grey with vallejo aircolour rlm 02 and pale green and olive green and white to get to what looked right to me according to ref photos I gave seen.

DSC01968.jpg

initial3.jpg

Have one Master Model gun built.

gun1.jpg

gun2.jpg

And got to the frame construction.

DSC01964.jpg

DSC01965.jpg

cockpit2.jpg

Will build the Radub seatbelts tonight or tomorrow and install them and the seat .

seatcushion.jpg

Thoughts comments or critiques welcome.

James

Looks like you're off to a great start mate.

Well I have this build in a couple of forums. Not sure if that is proper etiquette or not, but there you go.

I don't think that's going to upset anyone James. Keep 'em coming!

Kev

Picture of the seat belts didnt come out. But they are on . Engine frame doesnt fit too well so I have some work ahead to figure that out. Buttoned it up with some tape to see what I could see.

together1.jpg

together2.jpg

And the scheme will be this one Roland%20D.VIa,%20Emil%20Koch,%20Jasta%2032b,%201918%20(7%20victories).jpg

James

Looking good

With regards to the engine frame, I do not have this kit yet but when building my Albatross the engine frames were a tight fit. So tight that paint thickness alone made the difference between the part fitting or not fitting.

Just a suggestion to look at.

Ron

Looking good

With regards to the engine frame, I do not have this kit yet but when building my Albatross the engine frames were a tight fit. So tight that paint thickness alone made the difference between the part fitting or not fitting.

Just a suggestion to look at.

Ron

My problem seems to be the opposite. They are too loose. Did some work tonight and might be okay now. Will try the fuselage again tomorrow and see if it still has a 2 mm gap. I dont want to force it too much. Today was just a dry run, so not too worried yet. Thanks Ron.

James

Lovely, so far. If you are not already aware, WNW has errata for this model (and most of the others) on their website under "Hints and Tips" for the subject model. A few of the techniques are applicable to more than one model also. I have this kit but have not started it. I can say that I have never encountered a loose fit on any of the 5 or 6 WNW models I have have going.

Ron S.

Edited by OldTroll

Lovely, so far. If you are not already aware, WNW has errata for this model (and most of the others) on their website under "Hints and Tips" for the subject model. A few of the techniques are applicable to more than one model also. I have this kit but have not started it. I can say that I have never encountered a loose fit on any of the 5 or 6 WNW models I have have going.

Ron S.

I have 1 frame / bulkhead point where the frame stands slightly proud. I think that is causing the gap. Fixed the Engine Cradle problem and it fits okay. Have sanded the frame down a bit and hopefully that will eliminate the problems. Checked the Errata again and only thing is for the engine build that affects me right now. Thanks for the reminder on the errata. I could really get into WWI a/c after building this.

James

Looking great

Is the silver wire solder? I've always used copper or brass wire. I just bought some various sizes of fine solder from "Source" but haven't tried it yet. Apparently it is much easier to use than brass or copper?

Looking great

Is the silver wire solder? I've always used copper or brass wire. I just bought some various sizes of fine solder from "Source" but haven't tried it yet. Apparently it is much easier to use than brass or copper?

Hi Ron. The silver stuff is 34 gauge beading wire that I've had for almost 30 years. I don't even know where to get it. The reddish wire is transformer wire 26 gauge I think. You could get 3 rolls of wire for like $5.00 a while back. It has 26, 24, 22 gauge in it. I also have various solder rolls. But this is my finest wire, except for some 40ish gauge I got from a small solenoid.

James

Looking great

Try Fire Mountain Gems for beading supplies including various wires in very useful sizes. I imagine most of the beading supply houses carry various brands. Accu-Flex is what I have used in the past.