MiG-15 - NMF or painted?

LSP_Kevin

I have a Tamiya 1/48 MiG-15 that I'd like to use as a first-go subject for foiling. But, I have this sneaking suspicion that MiG-15s were actually painted silver, rather than left in natural metal. Can anyone confirm? I may still foil it anyway just for the exercise, but I want to clear up this nagging feeling (besides, I have other potential subjects if I need to change).

Thanks!

Kev

I have a Tamiya 1/48 MiG-15 that I'd like to use as a first-go subject for foiling. But, I have this sneaking suspicion that MiG-15s were actually painted silver, rather than left in natural metal. Can anyone confirm? I may still foil it anyway just for the exercise, but I want to clear up this nagging feeling (besides, I have other potential subjects if I need to change).

Thanks!

Kev

Natural metal I believe Kev. Of course that's just my thoughts.

This was discussed just a short time ago. The conclusions most ac were painted with silver dope. Exceptions were a few other countries MIGHT have had NMF. Best bet is to check refs of actual AC you are building, or at least squadron....Harv :coolio:

Thanks Harv. I must've missed the recent discussion. Was it here? Anyway, I'm just looking for a suitable subject to try foiling on, so I'm prepared to fudge the accuracy issue. Perhaps I should try it on a 109. :evil_laugh:

Kev

Hi Kev,

Most production aircraft were given a lacquer finish over the NAF which changes the reflection of the aluminum lessening the highlights. As the planes aged in active service aluminum powder was added to the lacquer during overhaul repaints.

Looks like it's freak freely time...,

Best, +Gil

Edited by Gil

Thanks Gil. It sounds like I could do it either way (paint or foil). I think I'll just run with the foil, and maybe give it a satin coat at the and see what it looks like. As Harv says, it's all an experiment!

Kev