LSP_K2

1:32 scale 16" gun turret

Quite an ambitious project Kev 2. Half the fun of something like this is the research and figuring out how to create all the details. This should be big enough to shoot the pigeons off the roof eh?:lol:

Cheers,

Wolf

4 hours ago, Wolf Buddee said:

Quite an ambitious project Kev 2. Half the fun of something like this is the research and figuring out how to create all the details. This should be big enough to shoot the pigeons off the roof eh?:lol:

Cheers,

Wolf

In this particular case, that's very true, yes. Seeking out (and discovering) new pieces of the puzzle, has been remarkably fun for me. Scratch-building the bulk of this should be a snap, but a few things (breakwater, turret access ladders, etc), will be a giant pain, but it all needs to be done, and should be fun for me as well.

Another photo that was snatched, and for a couple of interesting details, not the least of which is the floater nets in their baskets. I had previously believed these baskets to be for life vests, but I now realize that they were most certainly used for the floater nets, something I should have remembered when I built the New Jersey ages ago. Also visible is some detail of the shell hoisting boom, which will come in handy.

TI7bmS.jpg

15 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

Nope, I'll be stopping at the main deck. I don't have anywhere near enough data to do the shell and powder handling rooms and equipment. As to the Tampions, yes, they were used whenever the guns were not being prepared for firing, assuming that's what you're referring to. If you're talking about the blast bags (bloomers), they too were employed virtually from day one as well. From what I've seen of photos from the four finished ships of the class, all the 16" turrets seemed to be identical, yes.

I was referring to the wooden muzzle cover with the star emblem on it in the photo I attached above.

I guess that's the tampion.  Sorry, I don't speak "battleship".  

:lol:

12 minutes ago, ringleheim said:

I was referring to the wooden muzzle cover with the star emblem on it in the photo I attached above.

I guess that's the tampion.  Sorry, I don't speak "battleship".  

:lol:

I'm going to guess that is just for show, and not a standard tampion (though still functional for the purpose). I will not be using any on this model though, regardless.

I debated doing this, but for the German Scharnhorst, in 1/32. Turns out in 1940/41 the Scharnhorst had the Ar.196 catapult mounted to the roof of the turret... anyone have plans for a German turret? Lol

1 hour ago, Avenger2614 said:

I debated doing this, but for the German Scharnhorst, in 1/32. Turns out in 1940/41 the Scharnhorst had the Ar.196 catapult mounted to the roof of the turret... anyone have plans for a German turret? Lol

If you dig around, you should be able to find various photos and drawings that will allow you to get it very, very close. I was going through my new Iowa book last night, page by page, and have already been finding more detail shots of things I was unsure about.

1 hour ago, mustang1989 said:

Man .....this thread has been in the works for a while now. Very cool idea Kevin. I'm looking forward to more.

That's unfortunately not all that uncommon for me, Joe.

If anyone is interested, there are 1/32 scale Bofors, singles, twin and quads, on Shapeways. Oerlikons also. They aren't cheap, especially if you choose fine detail plastic...

https://www.shapeways.com/product/W3H9SD5B2/1-32-40mm-bofors-quad-mount?optionId=61405147&li=marketplace

Edited by eoyguy

19 minutes ago, eoyguy said:

If anyone is interested, there are 1/32 scale Bofors, singles, twin and quads, on Shapeways. Oerlikons also. They aren't cheap, especially if you choose fine detail plastic...

https://www.shapeways.com/product/W3H9SD5B2/1-32-40mm-bofors-quad-mount?optionId=61405147&li=marketplace

I don't need any for my project (thank goodness).

That’s cool!  Given how big it is, that’s not a horrible price for the quad mount.  I messaged them to see if they’ve given any thought to making a complete quad mount with the tub, ready service racks, and ammo clips.  A complete package like that would probably be $200, but in 1/32 it would make a really impressive display piece.  I’ve wanted one like that for years!