LSP_K2

1:32 scale 16" gun turret

Rangefinder cover panel added to end panel that I think looks like good proportions. Looking at these photos with fresh eyes (and considering that many of these items were lost anyway), I'll be completely redoing most of them.

l9oklI.jpg

Not a lot done this evening, jumping around too much as usual. Here's the mushroom vent with discs added to roughly form basic contour/bevel of roof. Much to do yet. Now's when I really wish I had a handle on the whole 3D printing thing, as I could certainly use that process for many of these deck fittings.

qCpaNy.jpg

On 12/3/2011 at 10:58 PM, Typhoonattack1 said:

Work continues on the starboard rangefinder. The top apparently has a double contour to it, so this will be accomplished with internal gusseting and epoxy putty, then sanded to correct shape.

Impressively done... :thumbsup:

Some interesting "stuff" has transpired since I last worked on this. For instance, I discovered that the national archives has a complete original set of builders plans for the turret, so I'll be ordering those some time this winter. They're not cheap, not by a long shot, but they will at least answer several questions I have, and will enable some fine tuning of my own drawings, which I now believe to have some dimensional errors. This is what happens when one relies on drawings that are generated for books.

After poring over the web for photos that depict the wartime appearance, I've stumbled on some great stuff. This is a wonderful shot of the Missouri in dry dock in 1944. Clearly visible, are some great bloomer details, including the numerous bloomer clamps and brackets, as well as a clear depiction of some of the hundreds of bolt heads on the turret roof.

L34uKz.jpg

On 10/13/2016 at 9:44 AM, Shawn M said:

slotted screws....sigh

Oh yes, screws, screws everywhere. I had originally believed these to be rivet heads, but further exploration and digging for photos, revealed the truth of the matter. For the cross turret strips that each have four rows of screws, I'll scratch one master, then have my casting guy create copies. He and I have already discussed this.

75Mx6u.jpg

One anomaly I've discovered, is the repeated instance of bands of steel with double rows of rivets, inside the upper hull, outside of the water drainage area. Anomalous inasmuch as that no photos I can find, show these rivets on exterior of hull, and I have some very clear photos that illustrate that.