1:32 scale 16" gun turret

LSP_K2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Some interesting "stuff" has transpired since I last worked on this. For instance, I discovered that the national archives has a complete original set of builders plans for the turret, so I'll be ordering those some time this winter. They're not cheap, not by a long shot, but they will at least answer several questions I have, and will enable some fine tuning of my own drawings, which I now believe to have some dimensional errors. This is what happens when one relies on drawings that are generated for books.

After poring over the web for photos that depict the wartime appearance, I've stumbled on some great stuff. This is a wonderful shot of the Missouri in dry dock in 1944. Clearly visible, are some great bloomer details, including the numerous bloomer clamps and brackets, as well as a clear depiction of some of the hundreds of bolt heads on the turret roof.

L34uKz.jpg

On 10/13/2016 at 9:44 AM, Shawn M said:

slotted screws....sigh

Oh yes, screws, screws everywhere. I had originally believed these to be rivet heads, but further exploration and digging for photos, revealed the truth of the matter. For the cross turret strips that each have four rows of screws, I'll scratch one master, then have my casting guy create copies. He and I have already discussed this.

75Mx6u.jpg

One anomaly I've discovered, is the repeated instance of bands of steel with double rows of rivets, inside the upper hull, outside of the water drainage area. Anomalous inasmuch as that no photos I can find, show these rivets on exterior of hull, and I have some very clear photos that illustrate that.

Those were such awesome machines....the battleships.  I still am fascinated by warships but the modern ones seem so much less interesting.

I sure would like to see you press forward with this.

I keep wanting to plunge into one of the 1/200 scale kits....but they seem such an onerous task to complete...particularly with the aftermarket detail up kits.....that I am a bit intimidated.

Those were such awesome machines....the battleships.  I still am fascinated by warships but the modern ones seem so much less interesting.

I sure would like to see you press forward with this.

I keep wanting to plunge into one of the 1/200 scale kits....but they seem such an onerous task to complete...particularly with the aftermarket detail up kits.....that I am a bit intimidated.

I fully intend to resume work on it this winter, after my new work benches are finished. For the moment, I do all of my work on the dining room table, having to pack it away every time someone comes over for dinner, and that's getting to be very tiring. 

As to the intimidation aspect, I too am freaked out by the smaller scale ship stuff. I've got a big pile of P.E. here for the 1:350 Titanic, and it's incredibly fiddly.

For the moment, I do all of my work on the dining room table, having to pack it away every time someone comes over for dinner, and that's getting to be very tiring. 

I hear ya...

I do all my work on my workbench in the garage.  It is 115 degrees in there in the summer....about 45 in the winter....dust...spider webs....and if I have to use the workbench for something else (frequently) all the model stuff needs to be put away or somehow protected.

The basic challenge is trying to get a decent paint job in a basically very dusty environment.

Hey Kev, I will have a friends mini lathe for a bit if you need to do any turning.

I'd love to do the barrels now, Shawn, but I'm nowhere near having correct dimensional data. On top of this, my casting guru has told me that he'll be able to turn them to my requirements. Thanks anyway, buddy, I certainly appreciate it.

Here's my take on the stanchions. I believe this is pretty accurate, so I'll make my masters from this drawing, unless further data becomes available. As it turns out, most (all) of the stuff I had originally built for subsequent casting for this project, was lost, so I'll be starting from scratch.

xRnwR6.jpg