1:32 scale 16" gun turret

LSP_K2

37 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

This is a cool project!  I has always perplexed me why we've never seen large scale kits of some of the classic shipboard guns.  I'd *love* a 1/32 quad Bofors 40mm mount.  They were carried on every US warship of WWII, and they ooze details.  With 3D printing and PE, such a thing would make an amazing looking model.  With figures added you could bring it to life.  

That would indeed be awesome. I'll have at least two figures with this model, probably painted by a good friend of mine that's a real talented figure modeler, since I can't paint figures worth a darn.

6 minutes ago, LSP_Ray said:

Sounds like the start of a joke: "How many sailors does it take to tighten the screws on the roof of turret #1..." I can just imagine four guys carrying over an eight-foot tall screwdriver. :lol:  

I've seen, and I imagine you have too, gigantic bolts and nuts, the types used in very heavy construction, and frequently very large wrenches are employed, sometimes by two or more men.

14 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

Yup, large bolts & nuts and rivets. Not often slotted screws however.

I really have no idea what the planners were thinking there. I doubt that particular type of fastener was chosen to avoid an unnecessary tripping hazard, but who knows. I'm going to guess that these four fairly uniformly spaced rows, were used to secure stiffening girders to roof plate from below, as that's a pretty large expanse of steel there, so that really would make sense.

Kevin,

Are you stopping at the deck level, or are you building the full turret with the many unseen levels going down below deck level?

Also, do you plan to put the gun barrel covers on?  Was that war-time thing or did that come later?

Is the turret you are making exactly the same on all of the Iowa Class ships?  I never really thought about that; I assume they were the same for ease of manufacture but I don't know. 

front-angle-close-up-of-the-guns-USS-Bat

Edited by ringleheim

7 hours ago, ringleheim said:

Kevin,

Are you stopping at the deck level, or are you building the full turret with the many unseen levels going down below deck level?

Also, do you plan to put the gun barrel covers on?  Was that war-time thing or did that come later?

Is the turret you are making exactly the same on all of the Iowa Class ships?  I never really thought about that; I assume they were the same for ease of manufacture but I don't know.

Nope, I'll be stopping at the main deck. I don't have anywhere near enough data to do the shell and powder handling rooms and equipment. As to the Tampions, yes, they were used whenever the guns were not being prepared for firing, assuming that's what you're referring to. If you're talking about the blast bags (bloomers), they too were employed virtually from day one as well. From what I've seen of photos from the four finished ships of the class, all the 16" turrets seemed to be identical, yes.

4 hours ago, Wolf Buddee said:

Quite an ambitious project Kev 2. Half the fun of something like this is the research and figuring out how to create all the details. This should be big enough to shoot the pigeons off the roof eh?:lol:

Cheers,

Wolf

In this particular case, that's very true, yes. Seeking out (and discovering) new pieces of the puzzle, has been remarkably fun for me. Scratch-building the bulk of this should be a snap, but a few things (breakwater, turret access ladders, etc), will be a giant pain, but it all needs to be done, and should be fun for me as well.

Another photo that was snatched, and for a couple of interesting details, not the least of which is the floater nets in their baskets. I had previously believed these baskets to be for life vests, but I now realize that they were most certainly used for the floater nets, something I should have remembered when I built the New Jersey ages ago. Also visible is some detail of the shell hoisting boom, which will come in handy.

TI7bmS.jpg

15 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

Nope, I'll be stopping at the main deck. I don't have anywhere near enough data to do the shell and powder handling rooms and equipment. As to the Tampions, yes, they were used whenever the guns were not being prepared for firing, assuming that's what you're referring to. If you're talking about the blast bags (bloomers), they too were employed virtually from day one as well. From what I've seen of photos from the four finished ships of the class, all the 16" turrets seemed to be identical, yes.

I was referring to the wooden muzzle cover with the star emblem on it in the photo I attached above.

I guess that's the tampion.  Sorry, I don't speak "battleship".  

:lol:

12 minutes ago, ringleheim said:

I was referring to the wooden muzzle cover with the star emblem on it in the photo I attached above.

I guess that's the tampion.  Sorry, I don't speak "battleship".  

:lol:

I'm going to guess that is just for show, and not a standard tampion (though still functional for the purpose). I will not be using any on this model though, regardless.

1 hour ago, Avenger2614 said:

I debated doing this, but for the German Scharnhorst, in 1/32. Turns out in 1940/41 the Scharnhorst had the Ar.196 catapult mounted to the roof of the turret... anyone have plans for a German turret? Lol

If you dig around, you should be able to find various photos and drawings that will allow you to get it very, very close. I was going through my new Iowa book last night, page by page, and have already been finding more detail shots of things I was unsure about.