1:32 scale 16" gun turret

LSP_K2

man what a bummer that its all gone!

Well let's just say I haven't seen them since I moved in here two years ago, so I assume it's all gone. The good news is, most of what needed to be done, was still to be done, so not that big of a deal, really. I need to make stanchions, bitts, chocks, davit arm and ventilators again, and I can do all of that in a a few days. I should be able to slam the bulk of the turret itself together in a couple of days, but I'm awaiting better dimensional data. If I'm to proceed, I might as well get it as good as I can. I also need to order one or two hex punch sets, which I absolutely intend to do.

Based on a few photos I have of people walking around on the deck, I'm guesstimating that the teak decking was roughly 6" wide, so .1875 (3/16") wide, and Evergreen sells some .188 V-Groove siding that will be perfect, or I can just use solid sheets and scribe them. I still haven't determined which route I'll take.

Glad to see you back at this... a wonderful project !!

:popcorn:

Vaughn

Thanks, Vaughn. It's but one of several larger hobby projects that are on my bucket list. I seriously entertained the thought of doing a Maginot line cutaway, even gathering several books on the subject, but there are way more questions than answers, so that one is off the books, at least for now.

Based on a few photos I have of people walking around on the deck, I'm guesstimating that the teak decking was roughly 6" wide, so .1875 (3/16") wide, and Evergreen sells some .188 V-Groove siding that will be perfect, or I can just use solid sheets and scribe them. I still haven't determined which route I'll take.

What about just using wood? At that scale, the natural variations in grain would add a nice nuance.

What about just using wood? At that scale, the natural variations in grain would add a nice nuance.

I have considered it, Tim. I've looked at Basswood, Balsa and Walnut, just haven't determined which way to go yet. Lots of options though, that's for sure.

• 2 years later...

Having just received this volume on the Iowa for Christmas, I've already discovered some of the pertinent data that I'd been seeking for this project, so that's just great. They currently also have a volume on the Missouri in print (which I'll be ordering soon), as well as one "in the works" on the New Jersey, then hopefully not too long after, the Wisconsin. In my opinion, this series of books is excellent value, hardbound, good quality paper and great photographs; really hard to go wrong here.

(Looks like I need to replace many of my photos here too, and I shall, as I really hope to resume work on this in the fall, after he new work benches are finished.)

p7cSNe.jpg

A very interesting starboard side view of the No. 1 turret, showing the balsa wood lifeboats and roof access ladder, as well as the baskets for life vests, or at least that's what I think they were designed to hold. Some of the stanchions appear to have parallel sides, while others are tapered. I've yet to nail down any specifics on those, but I'm still gathering more data all the time.

5oqiDe.jpg

While I knew the fasteners around the periphery of the turret roof were screw heads, I still wasn't sure if the quadruple rows were screws, bolts or rivets. This photo puts that question to rest, once and for all. As the photo states, this is the roof of turret #2, BB61, the Iowa, and the screw heads are very noticeable.

KDCJ3Y.jpg

13 hours ago, ScanmanDan said:

I'm not trying to be funny here but just what would the tool look like that you would use to tighten those very large screw heads.  I cannot imagine that it would be a comically large screwdriver.  Some kind of wrench?  I've seen some large screw heads on tanks but nothing as big as these.

Great idea for a model and lovely craftsmanship too.

Taking a wild guess, I'm estimating that those screw heads are about 3" to 4" in diameter, and yes, some specialty equipment or another was probably used to assemble them, though I have no idea what that may have been. I am finding more photo evidence of specific details that I'd been curious about, so that's a good thing.

1 hour ago, LSP_K2 said:

Taking a wild guess, I'm estimating that those screw heads are about 3" to 4" in diameter, and yes, some specialty equipment or another was probably used to assemble them, though I have no idea what that may have been. I am finding more photo evidence of specific details that I'd been curious about, so that's a good thing.

Sounds like the start of a joke: "How many sailors does it take to tighten the screws on the roof of turret #1..." I can just imagine four guys carrying over an eight-foot tall screwdriver. :lol: