Tamiya's big Spit

Wolf Buddee

This is just a spek-tak-u-lar build! Thanx!

And it has served as an inspiration for me to build, not right now mind you, a 1/24 Spitfire, an old, o-o-old Airfix kit, that I got from an old club member.

But as I'd love to do it as a cutaway, I wonder Wolf, Mr Buddee, if you could give me a starting point for references, detailed structural references, that you've used to attain this high standard.

It's a build like this, that I simply do NOT want to come to an end.

Thanx

Pete

( near Niagara Falls)

Thanks Pete, if I recall, the old 1/24th Airfix kit is a Mk I. The references I've used pertain mostly to the Mk XI so the details would be different enough to make them impractical for what you're planning. One thing I would do for sure is to check out The Spitfire Site here on the web. I found a lot of very good references there. That and a lot of folks right here on LSP have been very kind with forthcoming information to assist me with my own build. Unfortunately I feel like I painted myself in to a corner with all the details I've been adding and then finally hit the wall (not literally) towards the beginning of October. I still hear 'er calling me but some smart little Fokker is making quite a ruckus as well. :)

Cheers,

Wolf

It matters not the Mk, I haven't yet started the serious research, but if I recall correctly, I did start looking into this a few years ( maybe 8? ) ago, and it would be a Mk IX or XIV. I only have a technical illustration blueprint and Robert Brackens' book, so far.

I'm just looking for a jumping off point ... and if you don't mind, if anyone else can chime in too, I promise not to hijack your thread any more! :rolleyes:

And I understand the block ... I did a cutaway of the Space Shuttle, and it was a bear to complete, in the later stages of the build!

Thanx again ... and Happy New Year!

Pete

Pete, if you really want a lot of technical info on the Spitfire, the Spitfire Mk IX & XVI Engineered book by Paul H. Monforton is a gold mine. I used a lot of information from the book to detail various components of my kit. If the book has a real shortcoming, IMHO, it has very little information on the Merlin engine, plumbing, electrical, etc. The rest of the airframe is covered quite extensively. Not an inexpensive book but might have most of what you need.

Cheers,

Wolf

Pete, try, next to the Monforton book that Wolf mentioned, these two:

The Spitfire V Manual ISBN 1853675458

Spitfire - The History ISBN 0946219109

They offer a lot of the stuff you might be looking fore.

Cheers, Jan

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Hey Wolf. Did you ever happen to finish this Spit? If you did I missed it and really wanted to see it completed. Just checking. Hope all is well.

Jim Root

Thanks for checking in Jim. The Spitfire is awaiting the addition of some final details for the engine assembly. I ran out of steam on the build and decided to tackle WnWs Fokker DVII. The Fokker Is almost done and I have all the research material to finish the Spitfire so that'll be next.

Cheers,

Wolf

The truth is Wolf found an infintesimally small hair lodged under the semi gloss coat on the upper port wing that would require an electron microscope to spot.. and completely lost it...after flinging the almost completed and extremely expensive model to the hard wood floor he has spent the last six months trying to piece it back together to a point he hopes we won't notice. stay tuned.

Edited by williamj

• 5 months later...

Gentleman,
Recently I had a chance to see this magnificent model with my very own eyes and Guys I have to tell you It was a treat. The pictures , however clear do not do justice to this beauty. The level of detail goes beyond the comprehension of us mortals . And then it returns  as a flash back and makes you toss all your kits to the fireplace. Simply stunning piece of work.
Therefore it's time to bump this topic back to the top !
Cheers