Tamiya's big Spit

Wolf Buddee

Wolf - awe inspiring stuff as usual :popcorn:

with you on the Archer rivets, I just got some after seeing what you have done with them (as I expect many others will..) and can't wait to try them out

one question if I may - how do you create such an effective wash for the oil staining?

Thanks

Peter

Thanks Peter, I used the smallest weld beads Archer makes on the exhaust pipes as well. They're a little over scale but again, fantastic stuff. Once you start to use 'em you'll find all kinds of applications for them. I've even applied them individually to enhance a piece I've been detailing.

The washes I use are made by a company called "The Detailer" and they come in a variety of colours but I use primarily brown and black. In most cases I mix the black and brown 50/50 and add a small drop of dishwashing liquid to the mix. The mix is then thinned with distilled water (for some reason it works better than regular tap water) and it's applied with a fine paint brush. The dishwashing liquid decreases the surface tension of the mix and gives the wash better capillary action. It also makes removing the excess wash much easier. The wash applies quite thin and sometimes a number of applications are required to get the depth of colour I need. Any excess wash is removed with water and a small brush, sometimes as small as a 10/0 spotter brush. This allows me to remove the wash with almost surgical prescion, as much or as little as I want. Another reason for the dishwashing liquid is that it makes removing the wash more controllable. I've also used Liquitex acrylic paint thinned the same way with good results but so far, "The Detailer" washes seem to work the best for me. I bought some of the "Pro-Modeler" washes as well but haven't used them yet.

Hopefully that answers some of your question regarding my washes.

Cheers,

Wolf

Edited by Wolf Buddee

You amaze me on how you manage to make what appears to be a detailed part look so basic once your done adding your detail. You truely have a great eye for detail and scale. You obviously see the forest through the trees and then see all the trees individually :lol:

Ron

Thanks Ron! All I can say is that a small measure of insanity helps in the process. At least that's how I explain it, LOL!

Cheers,

Wolf

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Wolf .... much appreciated. I've used the ProModeler washes and they are clay based. Will be ordering some of the "The Detailer" washes, as well as the Archer welds and rivets. :piliot:

Peter

I bought some of the "Pro-Modeler" washes as well but haven't used them yet.

I have those too and really like them - they're so convenient! But I think you'll find Wolf that they're no substitute for the kind of precision wash you're doing here. They're fantastic for sludge washes and generally grunging up an airframe or large component. In my experience they're not very well suited for pin washes or precision applications. I generally defer to oils for those situations, but the results of your methods speak for themselves.

Kev

Thanks for the information on the washes Wolf, I just ordered them.

As for your build, I have already used every word I know to try and describe it. Perhaps the fact that it has taken 45 pages to date is the greatest testimony of all. Suffice it to say I have never seen a build that approaches what you have created here. Thank you for sharing both your many talents and techniques with us.

Bud

Edited by Budman

Nice tip on the washes Wolf...just dropped them an e-mail asking if they'd ship to Italy!

Talking 'bout Archer decal rivets..they're Great and very useful,at least in bigger scale.Don't want to hijack this thread but here's the in-progress UC bay of my 190 D-9,ALL the rivets are from Archer and they're great.

Cheers

Lou

rivets4.jpg

rivets1.jpg

rivets2.jpg

rivets3.jpg

Edited by Ta152H1

am going to have to get me some of these archer rivets

I already told ya that, LOL! Especially when you consider that there weren't too many flush rivets on a B-17. The Archer rivets would add a lot of detail to your build with very little extra work. I'm tellin ya, get 'em!

Cheers,

Wolf

And the insanity continues. :) Where do you find the patience? I've always wanted to go nuts on one particular model, but I know I'd never follow through. After about six months, other models start chanting "start me, start me".