Tamiya's big Spit

Wolf Buddee

What kind of green did you use for the interior on this kit?

I've been using Model Master British Interior Green, some straight out of the bottle but some has a little white added to it to add some variation to the base colour.

Cheers,

Wolf

Spitfire Boffins, lend me your ears, Ok, maybe your eyes, that would be easier I think. Anyone know what the item is that the arrow is pointing to in the pic. As the caption says, I think it might be a vibration damper judging by it's looks but I have no reference for it other than the accompanying photo. I should add it before running the fuel line that feeds the cylinder fuel priming lines. Anyone have more pics showing this assembly clearer? :please:

Vibration-damper-.jpg

Cheers,

Wolf

What happened to my post ??? Anyway, what I had posted was, I believe it may be a torque limiter, kinda holds the engine in its blace, side to side. It is like a damper.....Harv

What happened to my post ??? Anyway, what I had posted was, I believe it may be a torque limiter, kinda holds the engine in its blace, side to side. It is like a damper.....Harv

Hi Harvey, thanks for the reply. I posted the pic on another forum and the answer I got back makes perfect sense. It's the forward mount for the inter-cooler housing assembly. You'd think I would have been able to figure that out. What I now need to figure out is how it mounted to the the engine. How it attached to the inter-cooler housing is self evident. Why oh why do I wish I had figured out (or asked) about this earlier. I just spent 3 hours earlier today fashioning and fitting a hard line and rubber hose for the air compressor on the stbd cylinder head which originated at a connection buried behind multiple components on the firewall. I almost invented an entirely new language ( I didn't but most of the words had been formulated in my head) by the time I finally got it done. It's definitely gettin' tougher with every additional piece being added. :mental:

Cheers,

Wolf

Edited by Wolf Buddee

Wolf, the items sure look like dampers of some sort, but......the smooth and rather rounded intercooler box in the above picture is one that was originally fitted to the RR Merlin 100 series (DH Sea Hornet a.o.). The wartime RR 60 series Merlin of the Spitfire IX had angular top, bottom and sideplates consisting of externally ribbed aluminum castings (as depicted in Tamiya's kit). The RR 60 series intercooler box had no lugs for vibration damper studs in the location that is shown in the above picture. Bottom line: the picture does not show a RR engined Mk. IX in wartime configuration.

Quietly following your lovely work Wolf. Greet inspiration !!!

Jan

While waiting for some information pertaining to the plumbing on the stbd side of the Merlin, I decided to work on the oil tank below the engine. The oil tank has had the filler neck and it's brace added, missing rivet detail added with Archer Fine Transfer rivets, and the attachment point for the oil tank breather hose added as well. The "rivets" come as resin dots covered with a clear decal film and are easily added in a single long strip but in some cases they were placed individually. They are set after application with Micro-Sol and once dry the carrier film virtually disappears. When over-coated with silver paint the rivets look awesome. I've painted the tank since these photos were taken but I haven't had a chance to take pics yet. I have to weather the tank and I'll post pics when that's finished. The tank is white as I had already sprayed it with Tamiya's white primer as a base for Alclad but I wound up going a different direction.

oil-tank-5.jpg

oil-tank-4.jpg

oil-tank-3.jpg

oil-tank-2.jpg

oil-tank-1.jpg

Edited by Wolf Buddee

Guest Peterpools

Wolf

Amazing detail work on the oil tank, a part that seems so simple, yet it's not.Thanks for the information and how to on the rivets. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Peter