Tamiya's big Spit

Wolf Buddee

I've managed to get a good bit of the plumbing done for the inter-cooler coolant tank and the coolant pump for the inter-cooler. The only thing left is the small pressure relief valve and vent tube that run from the top of the coolant tank. I've also managed to install the two scratch-built clamps for the inlet/outlet pipes between the cylinder heads and the glycol header tank. Not surprisingly, most of the plumbing on the lower side of the inter-cooler tank is barely visible because it's hidden by the large electrical panel attached to the the cowl support frame. One thing's for sure, I'm glad I don't have to do maintenance on the 1:1 Merlin. Lots of stuff is barely accessible being buried by oil, fuel, and hydraulic lines. I have to give the guys that kept these up during war time conditions a great deal of respect. The orange oil line on the stbd side coming off the oil separator is 1/24th spark plug wire. It'll be removed and painted British Interior Green and then re-installed.

Intercooler-2.jpg

Cheers,

Wolf

Edited by Wolf Buddee

I'm speechless at how fantastic that engine looks Wolf. Just speechless...

Kev

Thanks Kevin! I can honestly say that this part of the build has taken on a life of it's own. It's been a really interesting experience on a personal level as I've had to stretch myself in use of materials and scratch-building techniques. Just the small hose clamps for the glycol header tank were made of six individual pieces. :mental: It's been fun though.

Cheers,

Wolf

It's 2:30 in the morning( here in the Netherlands)....I wanted to go to bed... I only wanted to take a quick here on LSP...... and now I had to sign in.....simply because I wanted to say that it's A BLOODY AWESOME JOB you've done on that Spit!!!!!

Good night;

Ulrich

Edited by Plasticsurgeon

Looking fantastic Wolf as always. Just amazing!

I hope your enjoying the summer weather as much as I am. One bad thing with the good weather here, is it makes it harder for me to get to the bench! I'm sure once the rain returns this fall I'll get back at it, but not too soon (I hope)!

See you at the next club meeting, Chuck.

Fantastic craftsmanship Wolf. Hard to believe you've been at this for 20 months now. Can't wait to see it completed!

Keep at it. Great stuff.

I don't even want to think about "20 months" Jim! It's been quite a journey but I'm lookin' forward to seeing this one completed myself.

Cheers,

Wolf

It's 2:30 in the morning( here in the Netherlands)....I wanted to go to bed... I only wanted to take a quick here on LSP...... and now I had to sign in.....simply because I wanted to say that it's A BLOODY AWESOME JOB you've done on that Spit!!!!!

Good night;

Ulrich

Good morning Ulrich.Sorry to keep you from your sleep but thank-you for your kind words, LOL!

Cheers,

Wolf

Wolf, when do you plan to start performing engine tests? :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Awesome build, but give us some more photos!!!!

John

Thanks John. Unfortunately there'll be no engine tests. My wife won't let me do it in the house anymore. As soon as I've got a bit more done I'll post more pics. I'll leave the cowl support frames off to show more of the plumbing.

Cheers,

Wolf

Looking fantastic Wolf as always. Just amazing!

I hope your enjoying the summer weather as much as I am. One bad thing with the good weather here, is it makes it harder for me to get to the bench! I'm sure once the rain returns this fall I'll get back at it, but not too soon (I hope)!

See you at the next club meeting, Chuck.

Thanks for looking in Chuck. With the warm weather, the basement is the coolest place in the house and that's where the building gets done.

Cheers,

Wolf

You sir, have talent. Just one thing...will you ever be able to build a kit OOB again?

Thanks Evan, truth be told, I haven't been able to build a kit OOB for quite some time now. I think it's a sickness. This build though has gone a little farther than usual. When it's done I'll be checking in to a clinic!

Cheers,

Wolf