Tamiya's big Spit

Wolf Buddee

I managed to get a few more details done on the Merlin today, this time at the back of the engine. Some of this stuff will be readily visible, some of it not so much but all in all I think it'll add a nice touch to the over-all look of the engine assembly. Next up will be the ignition conduit and leads on top of the engine and the cylinder fuel primer lines. Then I can finally paint and weather the engine before adding the remaining fuel, oil, and coolant lines. Gettin' close.............

Cheers,

Wolf

Engine-details-1.jpg

Engine-details-2.jpg

That is lookin marvelous Wolf...but I believe you've forgoten the flux capacitor and the splange spreader. :rofl:

As usual you're right Bill. I have good reason though, I haven't got anything that will produce 5.2 Gigawatt s of power and I aint gonna get struck by lightening again. I also wasn't able to find any good drawings for the splange spreader. Maybe by the time I get to the Mustang.............

Cheers,

Wolf

I gotta tell ya Wolfee, this is marvelous stuff. Your spark plug wires have a round metal disc at their beginning. Did you punch and drill for that? Your fittings look to be plastic. Did you make those or source them?

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

Mark

I've just been going through your amazing spitfire build again (start to finish) and was wondering if you have any pointers about painting tiny details?

I cracked open my 1/32 spitfire kit (full of inspiration after reading your thread) and was humbled by how small the instrument panel bezels are! Looking at your cockpit pictures and the level of detail you were able to paint gives the impression that it is easier that it actualy is. It's tiny!

Your a mad man Wolf! How in blazes name are you able to paint the panel bezels and other tiny details on the instrument panel? Can you recommend any write ups or other how to's to achieving this degree of finess? What's your secret for fine detail painting?

Thanks again for sharing and for also raising the bar for us mear mortals,

Chuck.

I've just been going through your amazing spitfire build again (start to finish) and was wondering if you have any pointers about painting tiny details?

I cracked open my 1/32 spitfire kit (full of inspiration after reading your thread) and was humbled by how small the instrument panel bezels are! Looking at your cockpit pictures and the level of detail you were able to paint gives the impression that it is easier that it actualy is. It's tiny!

Your a mad man Wolf! How in blazes name are you able to paint the panel bezels and other tiny details on the instrument panel? Can you recommend any write ups or other how to's to achieving this degree of finess? What's your secret for fine detail painting?

Thanks again for sharing and for also raising the bar for us mear mortals,

Chuck.

Hey Chuck, good to hear from you. You know, the easiest way for me to show you how I do some of my painting (and I'm no expert by any means) is to show you first hand. I have your phone number and I'll give you a call next week some time. I left your number at work unfortunately as today was a real circus. Rick Aquino spoke with me today and I'll also try to make a Fraser Valley IPMS meeting too. I work 'till 8:00pm on the meeting nights so I'll be a little late. Either way, we'll catch up. The one thing I can tell you is having good quality brushes and paints makes a huge difference. Good quality thinners helps too. I prefer to have the paint and brushes do all the work. It's all in how you get the paint to flow from the brush. I use dry-brushing as well but I hate the look of the instruments bezels when they're a lighter colour than the instrument panel itself. If you look at pics of most WW II aircraft, most instrument bezels were a semi-gloss black unless they were colour coded for a specific purpose. I therefore use a well thinned semi-gloss paint to do those bezels after any dry-brushing has been done. For a lot of my detail painting I use 10/0 (ten zero) or 5/0 brushes bought from an art supply store as opposed to what's available at craft stores like Michaels' for instance. That's just a personal preference. Now if you really want to know how to paint an airframe, there's few better than Ralph Riese! Now there's a real madman, LOL!!!

Cheers,

Wolf