Robin Olds Flamingo 01

big matt

• 2 weeks later...

Switching gears back to the big beast.

Ordnance. Fuel tanks. ECM pod.

19876f25.jpg

e6bfa6d6.jpg

I despise symmetry..

I found a pic of 668 with an OD wing tank so I decided that was not enough. The rear section of the tank suffered some damage so it was replaced with a camo section. Plausible??

3a2971d4.jpg

ECM pod with the rat. The kit pod represents some later version. The time frame I am modeling covers the earlier self powered pod as the pylons did not provide power to the pods on the C model Phantom until later in 1967.

5f204bee.jpg

You Migs better watch out. The Colonel is on his way!

a84168fb.jpg

894c57c0.jpg

That's enough for now.

Looking really great Matt! I love the muted colors. :speak_cool:

I despise symmetry..

Im exactly opposite. I LOVE symmetry.

My OCD along with my AMS and ADD combine to let my brain look at uneven things and NOT want to "correct" them and line them up or make things even. :lol:

Cheers,

Brian

Hi Matt,

Very nice work; she looks ready to give "Uncle Ho's" MiGs a run for their money!

I like the wing tank it adds to the "in use" look. :speak_cool:

Do you have pics of the ECM pod with camo on upper surface?

Keep it coming she'd going to look awesome. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Barry

Thanks guys!

Brian, ADD ADHD AMS HDTV HDMI, you got problems buddy!

Barry, I do not have a pic with the camo paint scheme on the ALQ-71 pod. I do however, have the Fox One 8th TFW decal sheet and it references the pods as have been white or the green over white. I chose the camo version as a bit of artistic license, similar to the wing tank paint job. That scheme does have a precedent although it has the camo section on the front of the tank and the center and rear sections in OD.

I also found that I need to remove the bulged portion surrounding the blades on the rat. Just the blades need to be there. I have to take the pod off so if you think it should be white, let me know. Its an easy fix.

Cheers

Thanks guys!

Brian, ADD ADHD AMS HDTV HDMI, you got problems buddy!

Barry, I do not have a pic with the camo paint scheme on the ALQ-71 pod. I do however, have the Fox One 8th TFW decal sheet and it references the pods as have been white or the green over white. I chose the camo version as a bit of artistic license, similar to the wing tank paint job. That scheme does have a precedent although it has the camo section on the front of the tank and the center and rear sections in OD.

I also found that I need to remove the bulged portion surrounding the blades on the rat. Just the blades need to be there. I have to take the pod off so if you think it should be white, let me know. Its an easy fix.

Cheers

Matt,

I do not know if all white was the only way the pods were painted.

I never saw one painted green/white but by no means declare that none were.

I read the same on the Fox One sheet and was just wondering if you had a photo.

Like the tank I think it makes the pod more visually interesting.

It was found that the bulge (fairing) on the blades could restrict the freedom of rotation. This would cause either a completed seizure or a binding condition which slowed rotation down to where insufficient power was generated. Either way it was bad news as pod would not function.

She Looks GREAT!

Barry

Barry

Thanks Barry!

That is good info on the ecm pod turbine. I need to pop it off and fix her up. I might keep the camo on it but will decide this weekend.

Based on your data, I am weathering up the jet now. Trying to visualize the walkways you described and where your hands and feet would go. How much did the fuel affect the paint around the aerial refueling door? Anyway, the matte coat is on and the tape is off the windscreen and it looks pretty cool. She just might be a messy Phantom. Oh yes, I almost forgot to do the windscreen front green tint. It's on there now.

Go Wolfpack!

Thanks Barry!

That is good info on the ecm pod turbine. I need to pop it off and fix her up. I might keep the camo on it but will decide this weekend.

Based on your data, I am weathering up the jet now. Trying to visualize the walkways you described and where your hands and feet would go. How much did the fuel affect the paint around the aerial refueling door? Anyway, the matte coat is on and the tape is off the windscreen and it looks pretty cool. She just might be a messy Phantom. Oh yes, I almost forgot to do the windscreen front green tint. It's on there now.

Go Wolfpack!

Matt

The fuel had very little effect on the paint around the aerial refueling door. The end of the boom from the tanker is another story.

Many aircraft had scars down to bare metal. Many were up to a foot or more long on some jets. They were caused when the boom probe was drug along the panel into the recepital. Can't blame the crews they were mentally and phycially drained by the time there were doing their homeward refueling. You could see where the fuel spray had evaporated.

Barry

Cool. That's what I needed to know. I found that I can make nice boot scuffs with a Prismacolor "warm gray" pencil. I looked at the Melampy book in the fuselage top section for guidance. Kinda like heel marks on my kitchen floor :innocent:

Even though 668 looked pretty clean from the side, I can only imagine what it looked like from the top. Now I need to figure out what those fuel stains should be made with...

I will try to post later. Just want to make sure I am going in the right direction.

In my big Phantom stash I have one more USAF short nose left for a D bird and was thinking about doing a Compass scheme. However after seeing the paint on this one I'm starting to go with a wrap around SEA scheme that the GAANG had for a short time.

And to go along with the warm gray pencil I have found that a little bit of artist chalks in the color of the local dirt lightly scrubbed into a flat finish in walkway areas adds a bit of tone to the model.

Great looking model.

Thanks for the tip Joe. I managed to work with some pastels and a smudging stump too. No dirt though, my yard is mostly sand. The wrap around SEA paint jobs are cool!

Here is a bit of the weathering. I was trying to go for a hard used but not abused look based on Barry's suggestions. Not sure but most of it is reversible water based pencils and such.

287d4e6f.jpg

Apparently the preferred mounting technique involved climbing up the wing tank and walking along the wing and then climbing up the fuselage to the cockpit or tail.

37819136.jpg

0d7bc5fe.jpg

2aa9da20.jpg

6f058d56.jpg

Looks like the fuel drogue missed a couple times...

058529f4.jpg

788f91eb.jpg

I have only done the one side so if I am close let me know. I have not found a lot of pics of these areas on Vietnam era jets so word of mouth gathered by one who was not there is the best I can do. Thanks for the help guys!

Matt