Robin Olds Flamingo 01

big matt

Watch the language there fella!

:evil_laugh:

Thanks Mark!

Thanks for the weathering info Barry. I will do my best to get that looking right. I had read that the centerline tanks were sometimes olive drab. Can you confirm this? I think it would look cool if it were a possibility. Maybe I am mistaken and it was the wing tanks. Now, how to make boot marks...

Guest Peterpools

Matt

Good looking cammo. Smooth as silk on my screen. for my money; Used but not Abused on the weathering. Light and tasteful.

Peter

Thanks for looking in Jim, I really enjoyed his book and actually loaned it to my mother-in-law! She is having a good read with it too.

Peter, not sure about smooth as silk but I am trying. Smoke and mirrors my friend!

Ok, I got a bit of fading and some other goodies done. All the work is a base prior to a gloss coat for decaling. I will use a wash and pastels later.

f0cb2193.jpg

The inlet lip was silver, or coroguard color, whatever that was. It shows up silver in the photos anyway.

cbb8affa.jpg

I found a color pic of a right side splitter vane with a "ghost" Singhai Lion on it and just had to do it. Seemed right to me. I am gonna hide a spook in this build too. Triple Nickel apparently had a red lion on the splitters or rudders when they were flying light gull gray over white C's but no mention of it on SEA camo planes. I took a bit of artistic license here.

ae544b68.jpg

Faded just enough for me. I think I need to gloss coat this baby!

52d096dc.jpg

I will need to put this one away for a bit so I don't get carried away with the weathering. Must get back to the Hellcat.

Cheers,

Matt

:evil_laugh:

Thanks Mark!

Thanks for the weathering info Barry. I will do my best to get that looking right. I had read that the centerline tanks were sometimes olive drab. Can you confirm this? I think it would look cool if it were a possibility. Maybe I am mistaken and it was the wing tanks. Now, how to make boot marks...

Matt,

The C/L Tanks were Grey or even White. Not all tanks got repainted right away and many C/L as well as Wing tanks were white as delivered however the C/L tanks were also pretty grungy looking most of the time. I do not recall seeing these tanks painted green or even black for the "Night Owls" black underside scheme.

There were wing tanks that were green over black for night owl operations. Later in life with the camo wrap around schemes the external tanks were painted to match.

Of course I'm not saying this as an absolute without exception....may very well have been some painted green but it was not common. ;)

As for making scuff marks I plan to use a combination of black and dark brown colored pencils.

Barry

Edited by Barry

Looking really sweet Matt,

I'm with Barry on the bootprints, using coloured pencils.

As a thought to give you some control, maybe load up the eraser on the end of a pencil with your preferred colour

then use the eraser to scuff on your marks. Might be worthwhile practising on a bit of card but it might help

Phil :speak_cool:

Looking really sweet Matt,

I'm with Barry on the bootprints, using coloured pencils.

As a thought to give you some control, maybe load up the eraser on the end of a pencil with your preferred colour

then use the eraser to scuff on your marks. Might be worthwhile practising on a bit of card but it might help

Phil :speak_cool:

Great suggestion Phil.

Barry

I like that idea Phil. I can shape an eraser to get a profile and work with that and some pigments or dried water color. Thanks for the suggestion on the black or brown color Barry. I just would not have gone that route. I think it will work better. Certain parts are going to be grubby, like where your hands would go.

I found some data on fuel tank colors. The c/l tank will be white. I played with the left wing tank and can modify it. Based on some pics I found, I did the rear section in green over white and the remainder of the tank in o/d. I saw a few tanks that had been pieced together from others and had seriously mismatched colors. I will see how it looks installed and post a preview. It just might be interesting, or hideous.

Here is that ghost lion shot and what I think is a white underside. I can't remember where I found this pic so if anyone is unhappy I can remove it.

b27e6da7.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Matt.. Phantastic build so far! you guys are definately an inspiration to keep me tinkering away! Loving the way the camo came out.. I think the Col. would be very proud of his mount! keep up the good work!

Cheers,

jerry

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Jerry, I hope the Colonel would be pleased.

I have been progressing slowly and have got some decals and a wash done. Don't mind the gloss as she is bathed in Future.

2e9748a9.jpg

8e4653e2.jpg

56d4ca84.jpg

Stenciling appears to be minimal on 668 so I went with some basics I found on similar 555th Phantoms.

94caca87.jpg

de4b6c69.jpg

Not sure what stenciling needs to be on the bottom but will figure something out.

21173bc3.jpg

Hot parts

bd039815.jpg

4aa81745.jpg

20b10f63.jpg

Thats it for now. I need to gets some legs on this beast!