Robin Olds Flamingo 01

big matt

Hey Matt, she's loooking goood!Like Barry said, keep the updates coming. I haven't even touched mine, but did get my model Master Snake Eyes today........Harv :speak_cool:

Aren't they Awesome!

Barry

• 2 weeks later...

Switching gears.

I have an airframe and decided to paint it. Just got the first stage done.

4fa1eb5e.jpg

The Colonel has decided to come down from his lofty perch and put in his two cents, "Matt, you know that preshading is a complete waste of time and paint!" Well Colonel, I did it for fun and because I knew you would not be happy with your plane looking like a zebra.

6261e1e4.jpg

My little collection of USAF air power circa 1967. I forget how big these things are!

e0c6b1ee.jpg

One of these days I will get back to the Thud. Maybe...

Big Matt's paint shop.

Lots of paint on my hands and other places.

Medium green

ee5d0511.jpg

0c6b8276.jpg

I like to apply one color at a time. It keeps the colors a bit truer.

Dark green. Still needs some work.

6fb02e5e.jpg

0e8b191a.jpg

Tan

a57d861b.jpg

34358608.jpg

Big sucker

0f4d0ecc.jpg

I have played with the basic SEA FS colors from Model Master Acryl. The patterns have been laid out now and I will let it set for a bit before doing any shading or the tail code overspray. There will also be the wear and coroguard to contend with. The underside is the FS white originally spec'd by the Navy. That needs a bit of touch up as well. My "ghost" Singha Lion will be there too.

That's it for now.

Really nice camo on the F-4 and will look nice when finished.Just wanted to ask that to my knowledge the underside should be light aircraft gray not white or was this F-4 different from the standard specs?

Dont forget to post finished photos I look forward to seeing it completed.

Great job!

Matt,

As delivered the USAF Phantons were painted the same FS colors as the USN Phantoms.

Upper FS16440 (Light Gull Grey); Underside and upper surfaces of flight controls and rudder FS17875 (White).

Barry

Cunumdrum, thanks!

I thought the same thing but was confused by all my references. That is why I asked Barry, our resident Phantom expert. He was there, so he knows. :bow:

BTW, I was not happy with my medium green and dark green. Not right to my eye so I did a repaint late last night. I am much happier with my new colors so I will try to post this afternoon. Man, these SEA colors are tough to get right. :BANGHEAD2:

Guest Peterpools

Matt

Looking awfully good. Nice touch with the old air brush. Sure looks smooth as silk.

Peter

Cunumdrum, thanks!

I thought the same thing but was confused by all my references. That is why I asked Barry, our resident Phantom expert. He was there, so he knows. :bow:

BTW, I was not happy with my medium green and dark green. Not right to my eye so I did a repaint late last night. I am much happier with my new colors so I will try to post this afternoon. Man, these SEA colors are tough to get right. :BANGHEAD2:

Matt,

Barry said "as delivered" the jets were grey over white. Do you have references that state the white was left on the bottom when the SEA colors were painted on the upper surfaces? I had assumed that when they received SEA colors they painted the under side light grey. No?

Darren

Thanks for checking in Peter! Glad you like her so far.

Darren, I have a few color pictures and it sure looks like white to me. I see your point and have no problem changing shades. I think I will defer to Barry and his experience on this one. Barry, what do you think? White or gray??? If white, would all the stenciling be present?

I changed the tone of the greens to a bit more "drabby". I think my medium green was a bit too "limey" and the dark green was a bit too blue.

543abf1b.jpg

fdf1ce4a.jpg

8dfddd2d.jpg

0d01597f.jpg

895426fa.jpg

b8c8881a.jpg

d099d3e6.jpg

Sorry for the pic heavy post but the greens are freaking me out. The tan is just a base to start the fading, as are the greens.

First, sorry I haven't posted here. Your build is just great!Looks well done. Cant wait for the weathering. Is it going to be a lot or fairly clean? I think all F-4's should be dirty.Second, never apologize for "too many pictures". No such thing, especially when they are well done like yours. Keep posting, I like!!......Harv :clap2:

Thanks Harv. I don't think she's gonna be too dirty. I have some decent ref pics and the paint is in pretty good shape but I will fade it a bit. Got some work done on that and the coroguard on the inlets today after work. Also got the stabilators on. I finally get why people are so passionate about the Phantom. Having it on the bench in 1/32 is impressive, I can only imagine what it must be like in person.

Looks very good to my untrained eye! Harvey is right, there is no such thing as a picture heavy post, only more goodies to ogle :speak_cool: .

Edited by Tomek

Excellent Matt, :goodjob:

Your decision to redo the colors was the right move; much more accurate to the eye.

I concur with your thoughts on the weathering. The aircraft should not look worn out, just faded. The underside of the aircraft was the grimiest. There are plenty of fluids there to streak back in the air stream; not too heavy but enough to allow you to pick out some panels. The Crew Chiefs worked had to keep the area wiped down if for no other reason than its hard to see a leak if everything appears to be leaking!

A very high traffic area was the path used to access the cockpit after the engines were running. We did a lot of that while trying resolve “Launch” problems to avoid a "Ground Abort". We would hop onto top of left hand wing tank then onto wing; hands onto top of intake/engine ducting then hop on top; forward to area adjacent to aft cockpit. There were scuff marks from heals and toes of boots on these areas. Look at photos and you’ll see what I’m talking about. Just so happens that this area of intake trunk at the wing is “Tan” and shows the scuff marks quite well. Lots of toe scuffs on the wing tank sides as well.

Area on top of left hand intake and the right to a less extent adjacent to aft cockpit was well worn always; often down to bare metal! Most of this was due to large, heavy Avionics Components or the Ejection Seat Bucket being placed there while you climbed into or out of the cockpit. Due to the fact that the vast majority of Avionics Components were located in the Aft Cockpit underneath the side consoles or aft outboard of the seat on the floor. The "Egress" Shop was always pulling the Aft Ejection Seat Bucket they sort of “hated” the Avionics “Spark Chasers” types for it especially when you miss diagnosed the problem and their efforts were in vain!!! ;)

Barry

I think my medium green was a bit too "limey" and the dark green was a bit too blue.

Watch the language there fella!

We members of the Eeenglish tribe don't like that word!

Seriously your new colours look terrific and knowing what a "hand" you are with the airbrush

I'm looking forward to seeing your fading work.

Luvly Jubbly!

Phil :speak_cool: