Robin Olds Flamingo 01

big matt

Robin and his 8th TFW Hoods. I have been wanting to build a big Phantom for years and am really looking forward to this project.

The Fox One decal set for the Wolfpack gave me the inspiration for this particular aircraft and the Verlinden USAF figure pushed me over the edge.

Here we go.

It's the Tamiya F-4C/D boxing.

41da8c56.jpg

The only aftermarket I have is the Fox One decal set and some Aeromaster stencils. I am trying to keep my expenditures to a minimum so scratching the other items will be my plan. I might pick up some seats but the jury is out right now.

Robin will be watching closely. He is the first figure I have painted in a long time. It was actually a pleasure.

dc9e7489.jpg

7ee86c31.jpg

05947280.jpg

The fuselage got all it's raised sections sanded and rescribed as well as the lower section of the tail. I am still scribing away and replacing detail as I go.

9d3b3725.jpg

83935d2e.jpg

bb675fad.jpg

I will be getting creative in the cockpit and hope to post up more progress soon but it is about 45 deg F in my shop right now so I will wait.

Thanks for looking in.

Matt

Lookin' Good so far!! The figure turned out first rate, especially the knife and the pens in the sleeve! Got this kit in the "on deck/limbo" section of the workshop.. will be watching with much interest! :popcorn:

Jerry

Thanks guys!

Hey Harv, I am looking forward to this one too. It's a cool kit.

Mouse, Robin will be performing inspections for sure. That's why I built him first!

Robin IS the man Martin! Don't mess with Col. Olds.

Thanks Jerry, I just had to give him a red and blue pen.

Thanks Daywalker, I think he is smirking at me just enough.

You're not kidding Phil, the waistline has gone to hell. Phantoms, Mossies it's all good. ;)

Excellent selection Matt; have you read his biography "Fighter Pilot"?

If not I highly recommend it would be a great accompaniment to your built.

This will be my first USAF Phantom, The Colonel's first MiG Kill ride.

scan0005AB.jpg

I dug through my old personal 8th TFW stuff and came up with the "Electronic Maintenance Spook" I've loaded as my Avatar.

We wore it on top of our caps as we were not allowed to have it where it could be seen!

I will be watching you build closely; Go Wolf Pack!

Barry

8th AMS

Ubon, RTAFB

(former)

Hey Barry, thanks for looking in! I actually ordered the book over the weekend so it should be here soon. 680 was at the top of my list for Phantoms but after getting the Fox One decals I decided to do 668 as it had some very interesting markings plus I really liked the owl! I've got my ALQ-71 pod and a centerline fuel tank but still have to work out the rest of the loadout.

After finding the thread for Barry's F-4 cockpit, I could not use the kit pieces as they come in the box so I started carving up the fuselage and cockpit. It's really tough to find pictures of anything other than the instrument panels on F-4's. Weird. I understand that the rear bulkhead should be closer to vertical than represented in the kit so I cut the thing up and added a little length to the tub.

4bcaea7c.jpg

I filled in the holes of the rear bulkhead that was removed from the one piece tub to create a new panel. The Colonel is checking my progress. I don't think he is too pleased right now. Looks like he just gave me a bad mark.

2af3cb2c.jpg

The rear space that has been created needs to have some shelves or something. Still more research to do.

7d4899fa.jpg

The deck behind the rear seat needed to be removed. A new shelf will be made.

64a59b6c.jpg

99dc5738.jpg

Fitting, sanding, fitting, sanding, so it goes.

Great stuff Matt. I've watched the dogfights series and really enjoyed the commentary from Robin Olds. Nice to see some scratch mods going on. Big job sanding all the raised detail and scribing? Awesome looking jet the F4. That pistole looks ready to rock as well...Colt Peacemaker?

Nice one.

Cheers Matty

hey matt, looks good so far...taking a break from the F4U? ;)

always loved Phantoms myself, was considering building a1/32 F4E at some point...my other obsession is the Vietnam War so will be watching this one...

Edited by richdlc

Hey CK, the figure is from Verlinden. The resin is really nice. I got him from SprueBrothers right before I started the thread. The weird thing is the box art. He is in a different pose than what I actually got in the box. On the box he actually looks like a photo I have seen of Col. Olds checking ordnance on his plane before flight. What's in the box is my guy. I thought he looked like he might be ok with a clipboard so I added that myself. I don't think he is specifically meant to be Olds but I added the mustache and made him a bit squinty, plus the figure did have a bit of a swagger, just check that huge six shooter on his hip!

Oh Rich, the Corsair is sucking the life out of me! I am still plugging away but it is all small stuff that is really boring. I am going to do the engine next and will post on that. Yours looks outstanding by the way. I have an affinity for aircraft from Vietnam, especially SEA camo. I have another build cooking as a follow-up to 668 that will be fun too.

That would be awesome Barry, I have been looking everywhere and cannot find consistent views of the sides of the canopy sills with the lock/release linkage. I am going to start over with the work I have done. Robin deserves better.

I think we need a Phantom detail depot.