PCM Hawker Hurricane Mk I (Fabric Wing)

DougN

For my last completion of 2010, here is my interpretation of the aircraft (L1842) flown by PO Mould when he scored the first RAF victory over France on Oct 30, 1939

Although shown in a couple of references as being coded "G" (as well as in the 1/48 Classic Airframes kit and 1/32 Montex mask set), this is likely not the case as "G" was a different aircraft that was flown by PO Richey. Research and assistance from several other modelers on the Britmodeller forum turned up photos of what is likely L1842. This aircraft was written off in France when Sgt A.V. Clowes (of JX-B with wasp fame), who had borrowed Mould's L1842 was hit in the tail by a French Hawk 75 while attacking German bombers. Clowes crash landed the aircraft without injury. Below is a photo of Clowes posing in front of the crashed aircraft as well as another of it showing the damage to the tail, which both show the aircraft being coded "T" rather than "G":

HurriL1842.png

1sqnL1842.jpg

Additional circumstantial evidence that "T" is indeed the correct code for L1842.

We have a loss report, where Mould, flying a replacement Hurri, coded "T", took some fire from a Do17 while attacking it:

Type: Hurricane Mk 1

Serial number: P2649, JX-T

Operation: Patrol

Damaged: 10/05/1940

P/O W.O. Mould - unhurt

Took off from Vassincourt. Hit by return fire from Do 17 engaged east of rouvres 05.00 hrs. Returned with slight damage and punctured tyre. Aircraft damaged but repairable.

* from Fighter Command Losses, Vol 1, 1939-1941, Norman L.R. Franks

It would make sense that if his *regular* aircraft were coded "T", the replacement would recieve the same code letter.

Finally, when CO of No.185 squadron, Mould, who should likely have flown "A", still flew "T":

Date: 1st October 1941

Unit: No.185 Squadron

Type: Hawker Hurricane IIb

Serial. Z5265

Code: - T

Pilot: Pilot Officer Peter William Olber Mould 33414 Age: 24 Killed

* from aircrew rememberance society webpage (www.aircrewremembrancesociety.com/raf1941/mould.html)

In Hurricanes over Malta by Brian Cull, there is a picture of Mould's Hurricane Z5265. Only the letter 'T' is painted on, not the 'GL'.

This evidence, in combination with the above photos of Clowes in front of the damaged Hurri, is enough to convince me that L1842 was coded "T".

The other area to figure out was the bottom of the fuselage, and, after looking at dozens and dozens of photos, I decided my best guess was silver dope for the nose and tail (with black white wings) with fluid staining causing it to appear dark (with a replacement tail section in white/black from the tailwheel back). In many B/W photos, silver dope looks very dark, almost black, on the undersides of parked aircraft. There is a nice photo of a fabric winged Hurri in Yugoslavian markings on a test flight that is banking away from the camera. Even at this early point in it's life, there is significant fluid leaking (I assume oil) from the inner flap area and streaking back onto the fuselage, as well as the standard oil leaking from the cowl area. I have tried to replicate this on my model.

By all accounts Vassicourt was a pretty muddy place when No. 1 squadron was there, so I have added some mud splatters as well to the bottom and lower rudder and muddied up the wheels.

Here are a couple of snaps of my PCM Hurri done up as Mould's aircraft after scoring the first RAF victory over continental Europe in WW2:

DSC_0089a-1.jpg

DSC_0104a.jpg

DSC_0096a.jpg

DSC_0107a.jpg

DSCN0391a.jpg

DSCN0389a.jpg

DSC_0100a-1.jpg

Comments/criticism/questions welcome!

Cheers,

Doug

Very nice work, no if, ands or butts about it!

Nicely replicated weathering and streaking, well done.

Only one criticism:

Your pilot seems to be a bit pale for combat duty.

12 hs.. bottle to throttle! :lol:

Well executed, you should be proud. Nice work. :goodjob:

Cheers,

Brian

Nice work Doug. Just me but it looks naked (aaahh..can I say that) without the

foot step. If you decide to stick it on, don't put it where the instructions tell

you to. Venturi missing too. All in all a very nice piece of work.

:thumbsup:

Thanks for your very kind and gracious comments lads! I really appreciate them as this is the first time I have dared attempt any significant weathering and was not sure how it would turn out :)

As to the specific questions:

Beautifully done! Might I ask a question? Which paints did you use for the DG and DE? I really like the colors.Mark

I used Model Master DG and DE enamels. I also tried the "oil paint dot-filter" weathering technique on this model, which seemed to work well to give some variation and depth to the colors.

Lovely jubbly, a couple of questions, what did you use for the aerial mast, and where did you get the pilot from?

I used the kit aerial mast, and drilled a hole with a #80 drill bit and inserted 2lb monofilament line for the aerial itself. On the rudder, I used a bit of broken drill bit (probably #78) and made a spring from some fine copper wire.

I will second that! MDC??

The pilot figure is from the Master Box 1/32 Famous Pilots (Part I) set (which is a great value):

http://store.spruebrothers.com/132-masterbox-famous-pilots-of-wwii-part-1---6-figures-set-with-biographies-leaflet-3201-p23320.aspx

or cheaper: http://www.amazon.com/Master-Box-Famous-Pilots-WWII/dp/B003IT62K2

I wanted figures for my display case to give the models a sense of scale, and can't be bothered to learn to paint figures as I have enough trouble just building the kits I want :) So I put the figures together and paint them with Mr Surfacer - to me they look kind of like statues in a museum!

Nice work Doug. Just me but it looks naked (aaahh..can I say that) without the foot step. If you decide to stick it on, don't put it where the instructions tellyou to. Venturi missing too. All in all a very nice piece of work. :thumbsup:

I forgot to put the retracted footstep and the formation light on the bottom right next to it in my rush to finish it before the New Year, which I also noticed as soon as I posted the photos :(. I left the Venturi off as it is my understanding it was not fitted to all fabric wing Hurris,and I also have a photo of an 85 Squadron Hurri in August 1939 that is coded L183X, which does not have the Venturi and would have been produced just before this airframe.

Again, thanks for all the kind comments :)

Cheers,

Doug

Edited by DougN

Thanks for your very kind and gracious comments lads! I really appreciate them as this is the first time I have dared attempt any significant weathering and was not sure how it would turn out :)

As to the specific questions:

I used Model Master DG and DE enamels. I also tried the "oil dot" weathering technique on this model, which seemed to work well to give some variation and depth to the colors.

Cheers,

Doug

Ahhh, that accounts for the richer looking color. I used that technique on a recent build and it really does add depth to the color. Thanks!

Mark

I left the Venturi off as it is my understanding it was not fitted to all fabric wing Hurris,and I also have a photo of an 85 Squadron Hurri in August 1939 that is coded L183X, which does not have the Venturi and would have been produced just before this airframe.

Aha, you're right. I found a shot of Richey's L1679 at Vassincourt, Oct.'39 and it has no venturi either.

Actually, if the handhold flap is shut (as it is by default in all Hurricane kits) the step should be up anyway.

Again, nice work and nice photos.