1/32 - Spitfire Mk I

Loic

Hello guys !

and sorry for the late answer...

yes, it is actually "real chipped paint" but it is one fairly common technique, no rocket science in here I must say.

The only "difficult" part of it is to keep it subtle and realistic which in this case is not quite OK to me... it is certailnly slightly overdone and despite there are some nice areas, some other are crap but hey, it is too late to fix it... that's the down point, when you find out if it is ok or not, there is not much you can do to eventually correct it.

Anyway, here is today's update. First, you may remember I told you I had a little something special in mind for this aileron so here it is. I agrred with myself to accept this highly hypothetical statement that this bird had his aileron replaced by a scavanged one from an early spit that had the black/white underside. So this aileron is black. Realistic or not, well, who knows but I like that it does had a little special and attractive touch of color and originality here. You will make your own mind about it.

DSC04855.jpg

Then, I have been working on the marking. I initially wanted to build a black and white belly bird, I did set up my mind on KL o B but first, the scheme does not 100% match the BOB area time wise and on top of it, we do see KL o B everywhere so I finally made my mind on a 602 city of glasgow sqn in september 1940. The mask are home made as you can see, the size is not quite good , it would be OK for a Mk V or later but for a BOB, I should have paint slightly bigger ones... too late again here.

So here they are:

DSC04857.jpg

DSC04858.jpg

DSC04859.jpg

DSC04860.jpg

Let's move to the roundels now !

Cheers,

Loic

Thanks Phil!

So, I spent quite some time working on the decalling process this weekend <_< ... definatly NOT my favourite aspect of the hobby. Anyway, this spitfire build has turn to an experimental and try out build :evil_laugh: .

First was the free hand camo and now, I tryed new decalling technics...

First (may sound stupid but well), I have for the first time applied future... I know... but remember the latest bird I did here had 100% (or almost) painted markings.

So, what can I say... it is not bad but I am not overwelmed either. The decalling was slightly easier than on flat base but not quite perfect... I think the fact that I used the kit decals has not really helped as they are pretty thick.

Then, I have applied future again, oil washes and tamiya flat base. Well, to finish with the future experience, I would say the second layer was better than the first one overall but still, I managed to caught hundreds dust particles and a couple of hair (I guess they are mine which is a shame considering what's left on my head...). So one must know that in order to get a clean job done, you must aim for over extra clean work...

Then the flat base... well, the question here is why do we call that flat? Ok, it is not THAT bad but it is not what I was expecting either and would I put more "product" into the airbrush reservoir, it would turn to white... so here again, I am not 100% convinced by the result.

Finally, this all was tried in order to (at least so I hoped) make the decal disappear but here again , I still can see the damn thing through the layers of varnish.

So as you can understand, I am kind of disappointed but I guess I may not have udsed the "good" products so if you have any advise about gloss and matt varnish, I am listening ;)

enough talking for now, here are the pics of the birdy, I consider the base paint job done... now it is time to put some dirt on this puppy.

The bits and pieces first:

DSC04876.jpg

Then the underside (man, I love this black aileron!):

DSC04875.jpg

Finaly, the upperside:

DSC04871.jpg

An other few words to let you guys know this one has had its maiden fly this afternoon... while trying to shot pics outdoor, there was a strong blow and the cartoon box I use as a paint room (with the spit in it) just flew on to the BBQ :doh: :deadhorse: ... did not even had time to shot one pic... I went back inside the house. Hopefully, the model had almost no injury :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Loic

Edited by Loic

Just to add a few words and pics about the gun dope as per mentionned in Phil's hurricane thread.

I have used the kit decals that I have "recut" to my taste... the perfect square decals have been cut like if there were 2 stripes of dope side by side with their ends not perfectly adjusted (there is a little offset in between).

They were then threated with microsol in order to show the holes behind them and also to harden them slightmy.

Now, I have to make "holes and scratches" into them to pretend they have been fired.

I intend to use a heated pin to have a rather round initial hole then I will work it out with a blade... we will see if it works :D

Here are pics of what they look like at the moment:

DSC04880.jpg

DSC04881.jpg

last word, I have also noticed when applying these decals that the "gun holes" done but revell are not aligned with the gun hatches on the wing, especially the outter ones... so if one is intending to build this kit, check this item out before going to paint!

Cheers,

Loic

Loic, you're not using the Tamiya Flat Base straight are you? It's meant to be mixed with a gloss clear coat (or other gloss colours) to flatten them. You mustn't use it by itself!

In any case, I think your Spitfire looks stupendous.

Kev

Hi Kev,

thanks.... and yes :blush: , I was trying this damn thing mixed with alcool .... :BANGHEAD2:

I tryed it (as well as the rest) on an old P47 of mine and it did not show any sign of "danger" for the model and in fact, it was not dangerous at all as... it does not stick to the model !

It seams like a layer of very fine dust and when you touch the model, the so called flat base goes off on your fingers.

So back to glossy finish here.... glossy, not brilliant... :deadhorse:

Does this flat base work when you mix it with future? Can I add this straight to future or should I apply a level of dilution?

Thanks in advance guys!

Cheers,

Loic

Does this flat base work when you mix it with future?

Apparently it does, though I've never tried it myself. In fact, I haven't used Tamiya Flat Base since I had exactly your experience with it about 20 years ago. I still have the jar though, so perhaps I should haul it out and give it a go (if it's still any good).

Kev

That's looking so good, Loic mate.

I don't know what the availability is like where you are but the best flat clear coat I've ever used is Gunze. You still need to thin it with Tamiya thinners.

Thanks a lot for the kind words and for your help guys.

I will try the future + flat base in the next days on that scrap P47 and let you know.

I will keep you updated.

Mike, these are Tamiya paint.

Thanks for following.

Cheers,

Loic

Edited by Loic

Hi Loïc,

I once made in the "General Discussion" forum my point that I felt a BoB Group Build theme was plain boring...I stick to my view, especially as you do not need this theme to see builds of Me 109E or Spits....

This explains why I am not that assiduous in foilowing your efforts. But I am wrong ! Your work is, as usual, very interesting to watch, and the technique faultless ! Well done my friend ! :speak_cool:

Hubert

PS: and beware of the Mistral ....

Thanks a lot Hubert,

having a quick look at the GB builds subjects, I think that appart from 1 Lysie and 1 Stuka, all the other builds are Me109, Spitfire and Hurricane. So yes, that might not be quite the most original GB but at least, it should be a popular one I think.

As far as Mistral is concerned, just like the sun, it is a bit like a second nature in here... but I really did not think it would possibly lift that "big" cardboard box that quickly... I will take extra care next time for sure!

Cheers,

Loic

tryed the future + flat base tip tonight and well, here we are flat again ! :thumbsup:

Thanks a million for the great tip Kev!

Ah, glad it worked out mate! I should try it myself I guess, especially since my favourite clear flat paint is long defunct (Aeromaster Warbird acrylic) and my last bottle is nearly gone. I noticed in another thread that Keith mentioned his favourite is the Gunze version. I've really gone off that since it started given me a frosted effect as often as not. I also think it's a bit too flat; the Aeromaster version leaves a nice 3-dimensional sheen that I haven't seen from any other clear flat I've used so far.

Kev