1/32 - Spitfire Mk I

Loic

Thanks Gomer ;)

I am actually enjoying building this kit too so that's all cool I guess.

I will post pics of the work on the flaps as soon as I have something "significant" to show/share.

Cheers,

Loic

Hi Loic,

Firstly and most importantly I hope your back improves. Hopefully any injury is only muscular and temporary.

I love all the additional details you've added. I think I especially love the more bulbous spinner in the Mk1...its looks better for me. Does the Revell kits have the entire Hasegawa fuselage with an enclosed nose or is it like the older Revell Mk1 with the engine compartment?

Looks like you're getting ready to paint. I'll stay tuned and again, hope your back improves.

Cheers Matty

Hello Matt,

thanks a lot, my back getting little better day after day so I guess it is not too bad indeed.

It really seams it is muscular again. I say again cause this happens to me about every 4 or 6 month... but never that bad I have to say.

Anyway, that should be completly OK by end of next week or so doctor said this afternoon.

The actual revell kit I am building has the old hasegawa fuselage, only the wings are new and specific to this kit. So, the engine cowls are "closed" and there is no engine at all in the kit. I wish I still have the box... but infortunatly I do not.

Cheers,

Loic

Hello chaps,

here is a quick update with the work I managed to do on the flaps those last days.

The parts are the kit pieces that were (cleanly) cut out and detailled with evergreen card and rods. The smaller piece must have a "wavy" trailing edge as they normally match the complex shape of the wing to fuse joint in this area. I have reproduced this by sanding the part "thanks" to their initial thickness (over 1 mm) and it looks very good I think even if the pics shows about nothing of this...

DSC04820.jpg

DSC04821.jpg

DSC04823.jpg

One may know that spitfire flaps are either fully closed or fully open, there is no "in between" position and on the ground, they are generally (about 99,99% ...) closed but well, I love that look :rolleyes:

Also, my work is not "dead accurate" here, there should be few more ribs indeed but due to the thickness of these, adding some more would make the area too much packed and would "look wrong" to my eyes despite being more accurate.

Nothing really special here but it adds some nice detailling I think.

Anyway, this is just a question of taste I guess.

Hope you guys like it.

cheers,

Loic

Edited by Loic

Thought I'd take a quick look around LSP to see what goes on elsewhere, and say what's up to my few friends and I find this......WOW!!

Gorgeous Spitfire you got there Loic, shes really got some nice work put into her!!!! Take care my friend, and I wish you the best on your back pain issues.

Peace,

Alfonso

Hello buddy,

thanks a lot for passing by and letting a few words.

My back is getting better and better everyday now and I am getting mentaly prepared to start painting this bird... I have also made my mind about the scheme... I initially wanted to build Al Deere bird but I saw too many of those lately so I will build a 602 sqd (code LO) one unless I once again change my mind at the last minute :doh: we will see!

So, I guess I only need some free time now, which should happen on friday normaly :D .

Cheers!

Loic

Hello there!

Keith, thanks a lot for the kind words my friend ;)

Well, I have been rather quiet lately but this does not mean I have been lazy :D and I have actually been working a lot (to my current standard at least).

After I spend lots of time on the bits and pieces stuff (you know, all those tiny things here and there that you keep for the end and that are actually vastly time consuming) I have started painting the bird :clap2: ( please forgive guys me for appoading myself but I am happy!).

I first applied a coat of silver as primer in order to check the surfaces and also to prepare the weathering ops.

DSC04834.jpg

The pics are my usual crap but you get the idea. Surfaces are OK appart from the koint between the bottom wing and the rear fuse... I knew that was not perfect but that is one tricky area on the Hasegawa spit I think. Little rework here, it still is not perfect but I doubt I will manage any better from this given model so that will have to do.

Then, started to paint the underside. The color on the pics are wierd but I can only tell that in flech, the overall color is slightly too light and miss some green/brown shades... which is normal cause I will apply filters later so it should look OK at the end.

DSC04835.jpg

DSC04837.jpg

Then, the top side was free handed airbrushed... a first time for me as as I generally use masks for my camos... but I need to improve my competences with the airbrush for a project of mine that will come later this year hopefully (if the next GB themes is/are approproate :D ).So, it is not the perfect "A" scheme (I screwed a few details here and there) but for a first time I am reasonably happy with it.

Here is the pic with the "bits and pieces" I was talking about...

DSC04840.jpg

I wish the fading/weathering/surface treatment of the colors could show better in the pics but I can not managed to shoot propoer pics...

On the other end, I have also been working on some little extras for a diorama that I will show later I guess ;)

Cheers,

Loic

Looks like a lovely paint job to me Loic.

I wouldn't worry about the colour in your pictures. I treated myself to a nice camera some time back. I also got some proper lights and set the colour balance for those lights.

Still makes the colours look a little weird. That's the trouble with indoor photography.

Lovely build my friend, she's looking really great!

Phil :thumbsup:

Thanks Phil,

I think it is OK in flesh but, to match the actual british "A sheme" mine should have sharper demarcations between the green and the brown and some areas are not really accurate as far as shapes are concerned but that will do.

What I am happy with are the fact that I managed to do it free handed (and that was a challenge for me) and also the colors that I find very good to my taste, especially the brown which can vary from a rather dark shade of brown up to an almost tan color (or so it seams?)and that I find difficult to achive well.

Anyway, I think you got it: I am once again rather happy with myself :clap2:

So enough talking, here are some pics after post shading was applied. I had to play with photoshop to increase contrast so the pics actually shows something... it is rather subtle in flesh.

DSC04844.jpg

DSC04842.jpg

The chipping was done thanks to Maskol applied on the silver base coat and light brown allied in some specifac areas to create what I think is a nice effect (you will make your mind about it).

Time to apply filters now !!

Cheers,

Loic

Thanks a lot for the kind words :speak_cool:

Here are a few detail pics now that the filters are done.

overall view...

DSC04845.jpg

close looks that (try to) show little more how the paint is now much more shinny and slightly darker and browner... as well as the chipping on the wing root...

DSC04847.jpg

DSC04848.jpg

DSC04849.jpg

DSC04851.jpg

And finally 2 from the bottom which now looks like "sky", at least in flesh... you may notice the aileron on the first pic was not treated, that is because I have a slightly different program for him :evil_laugh:

DSC04852.jpg

DSC04853.jpg

That's it for tonight ;)

Cheers,

Loic

I guess it's never too late to start following a build ^_^

Very impressive engine! It seems whatever trouble you got into in this section of the fuselage you found a good way out. I like a lot your approach to chipped paint (if I understood correctly it's really chipped paint :o - it just shows how much I know about plastic models :( )

I'll be watching :popcorn:

if I understood correctly it's really chipped paint

Indeed.

It's amazing how much time and effort you have to put into making something look tatty. :D

I'm far to scared to do it this way. I prefer just to paint the scratches on... Loic's way is much more visually effective.