1/32 - Spitfire Mk I

Loic

Hi !

Here are some pics! I painted the interior of the fuselage silver rather than interior green cause it seams appropriate/possible firts but also cause it does add some contrast and some level of luminosity so than I hope one will be able to see stuffs when the all thing will be closed. I also took the opportunity to repaint the oxygen bottles as I do not quite fancy this red I previously applied.

I now need to paint the details as well as the radio.

DSC04768.jpg

DSC04767.jpg

Cheers,

Loic

Hey Phil,

thanks a lot. I agree and think the GB is veeerrryyyyy quiet... I guess this is because we are gently approaching the dead line even if there is still plenty of time.

Looking at my pics again, I think they are not that brilliant. I had to play with photoshop (brightness and contrast) to correct the rather crapy original shots and it just outlines and shows all the small aspect default in a very pronounced maner. Anyway, I think it does look much better in "flech" and I guess that's the most important.

Cheers,

Loic

Hello guys,

I did struggle with photobucket the all evening yesterday so I am only able to post an update now but better late than never I guess ;)

So, the radio was painted and glued in place:

DSC04770.jpg

DSC04771.jpg

It does hide most of the internal structure and details but well, who cares :D

This one is a shot of the "other side of the medal"... the back of the radio where you can see it is just 4 pieces of styren indeed... and it is not even painted. You can also see from here the repainted and modified oxygen bottles.

DSC04772.jpg

Finally, one last shot of the right side of the fuse where I decided at "the last minute" to add a battery.

DSC04773.jpg

I have now started to glue the fuselage halves together and I will start dealing with the landing gear shortly.

Cheers,

Loic

Edited by Loic

Thanks Mark ;)

Well, today was my first Xmas vacation day and I have been modelling despite I had my 2 damn... hum, I mean beloved... daughters at home with me :D and man, it's been a real medelling galor!!! :BANGHEAD2:

I closed the fuselage and stuck the upper wings to the fuse. That was rather OK. Then, I did put the engine sub assembly in place and it was OK too.. or so it seams.

Then, after a deep thought about it, I changed my almost 10 years old initial plan and decided that I would keep the upper part of the engine cowling in place, only the side panels and the bottom panels each side of the oil tank being removed... and bang! It took a split of a second for me to realise all the progresses I think I made since 2002:

- the engine alignement is not good: from 0 on compressor side to about 1mm off set to the left at spinner level

- the engine horizontal position into the mount is not good, there is a general offset for the all engine of about 0.5mm on the right

- the engine vertical position is not good, the all thing is about 0.5mm too high

- the engine sub assembly lenght is not good, it is about 1mm too long

Well, when there is only the mount and the engine, you can not see any of those mistakes but when you try put the upper cowling in position, it looks like the biggest mess! :doh:

I have tryed to fix those issues as I could but I do not have much possibilities so it is still (and will remain) wrong.

The funny part (I try to find something positive into this all) is that I think I have made some progresses as now, I would have certainly use different techniques to build this bloody engine and I would have both checked it about a 100 times before glueing everthing together and also, I would not have "accepted" to get it all wrong.

Anyway, I will try to post pics tomorrow.

Cheers,

Loic

Edited by Loic

Hi all,

here are a few pics of the spit as it stand now.

I did start scribbing details on the nose this morning but did not have too much time to make significant progress.

DSC04780.jpg

DSC04782.jpg

DSC04783.jpg

DSC04784.jpg

I will be off for a couple of days, I wish you all a merry chrismas!

Cheers,

Loic

• 2 weeks later...

Hello chaps !

so, after spending 5 days including Chrismas at my parents in law house in the snowy French Alps, getting my back jammed and sort of fixed by that damn doctor (it is still quite painfull I have to say) and clearing all the remaining "social duties" that one can not avoid in this time of the year, I finally managed to spend some time on the work bench today :speak_cool: .

Nothing very spectacular indeed as I have only been glueing the bottom wing to the rest of the mess. I then "found out" I forgot to rescribbe the wing tips (and the tail feathers as well) during my initial atempt to build this bird. so I am working on this right now...

What is not new but amaze me everytime I build a spitfire (and I have completed several...) is how beautifull this airplane is... really one of a kind design to my eyes.

Anyway, I expect to complete the main frame assembly by tomorrow so I will post pics then.

Cheers,

Loic

Hello guys,

thanks for the kind words Phil :) It is going to be a nice pair with your Hurricane.

This GB is kinda wierd (not too many people still working in here) but I like it, it really seams we are "left alone" just like the RAF fighter pilots may have feel back to those days of the BoB...

Actually, as one senior staf may say: "never in the field of human conf... hum sorry... in the field of LSP GB was so much done by so few to so many" :rofl:

OK, stop saying stupid and unrelevant things now and lets go for that update I promised (better late than never...).

Well, my back is still very painfull so I was not able to do as much as I wanted but here is where I stand:

I have detailled the complete engine cowl panels with internal details (structure) and the fasteners on the outside. These were done with the help of micro tubing and a candel... long and difficult to control as the temp of the tubing is going to leave a more or less deep print into the plastic... to deep and it is a mess (has to be filled with putty and redone before putty is dry...), not deep enough and you should do it again... Then, I use a 0.5mm drill to add the "final touch" into the centre of each fastener. I recon they are little oversized but I like their look. ;)

I wish the pics were better as usual (I had to take many shots to get one acceptable).

DSC04803.jpg

DSC04809.jpg

Then, a bit of main structure work: lower wing is assembled. I had to use shims here and there but it went reasonably OK I think.

DSC04810.jpg

DSC04812.jpg

You may also have noticed that the tail feathers have been assembled

DSC04813.jpg

as well as the wing tips

DSC04814.jpg

So now, I have to SB the guns panels, the radio hatch panel and assemble the ailerons...

Stay tuned!

Cheers,

Loic

Edited by Loic

Hello guys,

thanks for the kind words Phil :) It is going to be a nice pair with your Hurricane.

This GB is kinda wierd (not too many people still working in here) but I like it, it really seams we are "left alone" just like the RAF fighter pilots may have feel back to those days of the BoB...

Actually, as one senior staf may say: "never in the field of human conf... hum sorry... in the field of LSP GB was so much done by so few to so many" :rofl:

Yes Loic it seems that we are pretty much at the same stages in our builds and they would make a nice pair!

I agree that its nice and quiet here, we can just build away without any interruptions!

Great work my friend and you are right with the Spit. Whenever you get to the stage where you have just attached the fuse to the wing and its bare plastic, I can't but help admiring those beautiful lines!

Phil :speak_cool:

Phil, Keith,

thanks for following and for the kind words.

One small update today. I did not go to work and spent the all day at home due to my back still being quite painfull and for the same reasons, I was not able to do much work on my spit (I can not stay sitted more than 10 min in a row unless it just "kills" me in fact...).

Anyway, I managed to do small stuff starting with the aileron assembly. It does not really show but the left one is slightly "up" and the right one is slightly "down". These aileron complete this marvelous spitfire wings...

DSC04815.jpg

Then, the guns, ammo and radio panels were done from card:

DSC04816.jpg

DSC04818.jpg

Thats it for today. Next step will be the flaps detailling... sometime this week I hope...

Cheers,

Loic