Bf109 E-4/B "Yellow 6" Oblt. Otto Hintze 3./ Erpr.Gr210 1940

nmayhew

Great build, and I love the engine detail especially. I too am a fan of EZ line, durable and easy to work with.

Being a fan of German WWII aircraft I too toyed with trying to airbrush all the difficult mottling schemes. If you would allow me I think I can help diagnose your cowl painting dilemma.

I use Gunze acrylics (using their thinners) and mix to a ratio very roughly 80% thinners, 20% paint. Spraying at 8-10 psi. Before spraying on the actual model I test it on a piece of paper introducing air then ever so slowly increasing the amount of paint coming through. If it all at splatters, like below, the paint is too thick. Stop, add thinners, mix, and spray a heap thru the gun to get the new mixture to the nozzle.

IMG_1547.jpg

With this very thin mixture it is easy to allow too much paint thru. It this happens it will puddle and run like below. It will take many passes to make the paint visible to the naked eye. When starting I hold the model at an angle under the light so I can see where the paint is striking the model, and slowly build from there.

IMG_1533.jpg

Hope this helps, and please don't burn me... :DodgeBall: