1/32 or 1/35 ?

norbert

Well, I have yet to understand how a difference of 9% can be invisible! As soon as you compare the same item in both scales, this is jumping to the face. I'm remembering the M16 rifles in the Verlinden sets (I mentioned above) intended to detail vehicles in which you had the plastic version. The difference is not nil, believe me!

We will have to live with this but this does not simplify the life of the modeller and as soon as you are modelling in both scales, you simply end doubling items in both scales.

Put side by side a 50mm figure and a 54mm one and this will somewhat remind you the Twins movie with De vito and Schwarzeneger!

I guess what's really odd about 1/35th is that its a scale that is not used in any other industry other than military modeling.

Interestingly though,  same goes with 1:350th, that is also a very odd scale used only in maritime modeling and I believe another scale to thank Tamiya for.

http://www.lifeinscale.net/mm_knowledge_scale.asp

4 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Well, I have yet to understand how a difference of 9% can be invisible! As soon as you compare the same item in both scales, this is jumping to the face. I'm remembering the M16 rifles in the Verlinden sets (I mentioned above) intended to detail vehicles in which you had the plastic version. The difference is not nil, believe me!

We will have to live with this but this does not simplify the life of the modeller and as soon as you are modelling in both scales, you simply end doubling items in both scales.

Put side by side a 50mm figure and a 54mm one and this will somewhat remind you the Twins movie with De vito and Schwarzeneger!

i agree there’s a difference. To help settle this, can we ask norbert to post a reedoak figure in 1/32 and 1/35 scale of a pilot? I’ve seen the differences between 1/72, 1/48 and 1/32 on his website and other posts, but not 1/35 vs 1/32.  I assume he uses CAD to scale the figures properly? We can do it using figures from kit boxes, but even those vary in 1/35.

As one who has probably twice as many 1/35th kits as 1/32nd, yes there is a difference! Some AM figures, such as many Verlinden, are closer to 54mm not 1/35th. Indon't worry about that too much as people are different sizes. Just be sure to use same size equipment, weapons, etc across all figures! Once you get into vehicles, even a jeep, it is quite noticeable. I have a 1/35th Bf109, it is a lot smaller than a Hasegawa kit.

On 10/31/2019 at 4:54 PM, cbk57 said:

In the 1960's and 1970's just how many 1/32 planes were there?  To my memory there were almost none.

I built my first 1/32 kit in 1961 (Monogram P-51D) . In 1967 Revell released the 109F, Spit MkI

and the P-40E with the Zero and P-51B shortly thereafter. In the '70s they released the following :

Beaufighter, Mosquito, 262B, Stuka , Typhoon, Corsair, P-47 (both), P-38, F4 Phantom, Mig 21 PF,

Oscar and the Tony, Raiden and George which sank in transit. I might have missed some but the

LSP movement definitely began in the '60s and '70s.   :clap2:

2 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

As one who has probably twice as many 1/35th kits as 1/32nd, yes there is a difference! Some AM figures, such as many Verlinden, are closer to 54mm not 1/35th. Indon't worry about that too much as people are different sizes. Just be sure to use same size equipment, weapons, etc across all figures! Once you get into vehicles, even a jeep, it is quite noticeable. I have a 1/35th Bf109, it is a lot smaller than a Hasegawa kit.

Indeed Ray. I'm in the same situation than you (BTW I own all the above mentioned jeeps!) and can say this really helps in realizing the difference. 

On 11/4/2010 at 9:52 PM, Learstang said:

1/35th scale is the scale of Satan. I refuse to do any aircraft that are in 1/35th scale; for example, I'd love to do a Hind in a large scale, but I will not do it in 1/35th scale. Seriously though, it irritates me no end that not only did Tamiya ruin armour forever for this modeller by choosing this offscale (1/35th) for their armour, but now this wretched offscale is polluting aircraft, becoming the preferred scale for helicopters, and I've even seen a few aeroplanes in it. I believe the only reason Tamiya chose this scale, instead of the long-established 54mm or 1/32nd scale is their bean-counters figured nobody would notice the difference and they could make a few extra bucks (or a lot of extra bucks - this is Tamiya, after all) by doing armour in a slightly smaller scale. That's my theory and I'm sticking with it! Rant over.

Regards,

Learstang

Not this same old drivel again. Simple answer to the original question is build in whatever scale floats your boat and enjoy the experience. For those (and I truly wish they are few in number) who want to give themselves apoplexy or a coronary over the subject, fill you boots.

However, for the majority living in the sane world, rather than on Planet Pissed Off (which appears to exist in a temporal rift 40+ years behind Planet Earth), please just enjoy what is nothing more than a hobby.

However,  to answer the original question preferably 1/35 for whirlybirds and 1/32 for wingy things, but I wouldn’t loose one iota of sleep if kits were produced in both. If I like it, I build it, in whatever scale it’s available.

Both scales may be well established but the difference is enough, for example, for there to be no affordable Dakota/Skytrain in either scale: armour scale would make aviation purists groan while the fixed wing plane scale would pi$$ off the armour people who don't want it occupied by midget paratroopers. So, no mainstream kits of C-47, Ju-52 etc 

As Thierry pointed out, there's no Jeep in 1/32, and most available accessories are in resin (much that I like Verlinden, PWMP and Videoaviation goodies) the exceptions being Airfix's Monty's Humber and WWI bus. I found some 1/32 die cast which is quite nice; no, not Britain's Farm Yard stuff but E-type Jag, Signature Models 1950s American cabriolets etc. Quite sexy. 

I have some air defence creepy crawly stuff that's completed (Zil-157, trailer & SA-2, Shilka etc) but I'd love that stuff in 1/32. Especially the Trumpy Ganef, Gainful and Straight Flush. It just looks a bit meh in 1/35. 

Tony 

On 11/4/2010 at 10:38 PM, Royboy said:

I have learned to build helo's in whatever larger scale they come in Norbert!

My preference is for 1/32 scale, but it seems that the norm now is 1/35 for rotary.

I don't get too sniffy about it, I enjoy the build and add it into my collection.

If a model kit comes along in 1/35 scale how long will it be before it's duplicated in 1/32?

My guess is never, and they DO sell - regardless!

Let's say a company does a helicopter that most rotary modelers would probably love to do, like the CH-53 for example.

Who's going to argue about the small difference in scales?

Most modelers will not, heck it's a larger scale CH-53, whoopee!!

I do think that companies like Revell should stick to 1/32 that standardises their range.

Trumpeter on the other hand has chosen 1/35, so you know that will be consistent for that company.

In short, I'm just grateful the subject is done in the larger scale - Full stop!

Hope this helps a bit? :rolleyes:

Roy.

Well said Sir. Enjoy the kit and the experience whatever the scale.

On 11/2/2019 at 6:06 AM, LSP_Ray said:

I am intrigued by the notion that a Bf109 has ever been produced in 1/35. Storch, Cub, Helo's and Gliders, yes, but never what could best be described as a 'mainstream' aircraft. Who was/is the manufacturer, or was it scratch built? 

1 hour ago, Redcap1960 said:

I am intrigued by the notion that a Bf109 has ever been produced in 1/35. Storch, Cub, Helo's and Gliders, yes, but never what could best be described as a 'mainstream' aircraft. Who was/is the manufacturer, or was it scratch built? 

Here you go:

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/kitdb/details.php?kit=1787

Kev

Yup, it's pretty rare. I was fortunate to live not far from the guy who was Pend d'Orielle. I picked up one at a local show. It was not long after, a few years maybe, that he closed up shop. As far as I know, that was the first and last of the 1/35th series. I plan on using it as a ditched aircraft in a scene with figures and maybe small vehicle.