1/32 or 1/35 ?

norbert

Tamiya started 1/35 for racing tanks as the kits had to be motorized and powered by a couple of chunky batteries and they had to conform to a very similar size.

I built many forty years ago.

Alas, 1/35 survived. Apart from some Revell and Fly kits every big-scale egg-beater remains mostly 1/35. 

This is why proper 1/32 scale doesn't have a Westland Sea King, Sikorsky Sky Crane, Super Jolly etc.

Tony

Edited by Tony T
tidying

In the 1960's and 1970's just how many 1/32 planes were there?  To my memory there were almost none.  I built 1/48 and 1/72 planes because that is what dominated store shelves in the U.S.  Place like KB toy and Hobby as well as some other local stores and small hobby shops.  On the other hand I had access to more 1/35 armor by the 1980's and 1/32 LSP's were pretty rare.  I was into 1/35 Armor long before 1/32 planes so 1/35 does not bother me.  

I am not dogmatic about scale though.  I don't care for 1/72 as a rule but I really don't care if my subject is 1/32 or 1/35.  I don't build helicopters but it has nothing to do with scale, just have not had the bug to build one in 30 years.  I build some when I was a teenager but have not since.  

Frankly it just does not matter that armor and airplanes are not the same scale as if you put them in the same diorama it becomes too big in a hurry and it is not realistic to put a Mustang in a dio close up with a Tank anyway unless it is a crash sight or something.  I don't do Diorama so this has not caused a problem in my life.  

I have never built a large scale helicopter, but I always thought the 1/35 convention made some sense b/c of the compatibility with 1/35 military modeling.

I say go with 1/35, even if a 1/35 helo would be slightly smaller than the same in 1/32 scale.

I have told myself for years that the day will come when I build a Mil Mi-24, which is one of my favorite "things" of all time.  I'll probably build it in 1/35 scale.

8 hours ago, vince14 said:

Wow, a thread ressurected from nine years ago...pretty appropriate for Halloween...

Yep, oldest resurrected thread of the week award for this one.

:D

Plus, I seem to recall a big scrap about 1/35 in amore recent thread on here a week or two ago?

People should think about the environment a bit more and not bring back duplicate topics.

Think about the amount of paper you are all wasting.

;)

This difference is plain stupid. I would have preferred to get everything in a single scale! As Airplanes kits were using 1/32 scale, I would have preferred a 1/32 standard. By the way Monogram and Airfix AFV as well as multipose figures were released in 1/32 scale. 

Note that problem is not only linked to AFV versus airplanes. A similar issue exists between AFV and figures (54mm). This explains some weird discrepancies with AFV aftermarket sets combining parts and figures; the Verlinden Vietnam sets being a good example. 

This situation also explains why we have Willys jeeps in 1/35 scale from Italeri, Tamiya, Heller, Dragon, Bronco, Takom or Meng but none in 1/32 scale! 

Pfff... ☹️ 

11 hours ago, vince14 said:

Wow, a thread ressurected from nine years ago...pretty appropriate for Halloween...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTAAe7mKCR_3yCQFRIceR8

37 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

I think the ship has sailed long ago on 1/32 vs. 1/35.  No matter the reasons of how we got here, with very few exceptions fixed wing aircraft are going to stay in 1/32 scale, and helicopters and armor are going to stay in 1/35.

enough said.

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

I think the ship has sailed long ago on 1/32 vs. 1/35.  No matter the reasons of how we got here, with very few exceptions fixed wing aircraft are going to stay in 1/32 scale, and helicopters and armor are going to stay in 1/35.

1 hour ago, nmayhew said:

enough said.

As much as I dislike 1/35th, all of the above are true. No sense it stirring up a VERY old pot. 

If we wanted one scale, it should have been 1/35 not 1/32.  1/35 was much more prevalent and accepted regardless of the logic in terms of drafting or anything else.  At this point it is too late, 1/35 armor is not going away and is a much bigger market from what I can tell than 1/32 planes.  We are not going to return our 1/32 kits and exchange them for 1/35 versions of the same thing and the armor people are not going to hand over their collections for 1/32 either, so the debate is not going is pretty pointless.  Might as well try to convince everyone on this forum to switch to Tamiya 1/12 Motorcycles and get rid of all of their planes, then we could change the site name to LSM.

59 minutes ago, cbk57 said:

If we wanted one scale, it should have been 1/35 not 1/32.  1/35 was much more prevalent and accepted regardless of the logic in terms of drafting or anything else.  At this point it is too late, 1/35 armor is not going away and is a much bigger market from what I can tell than 1/32 planes.  We are not going to return our 1/32 kits and exchange them for 1/35 versions of the same thing and the armor people are not going to hand over their collections for 1/32 either, so the debate is not going is pretty pointless.  Might as well try to convince everyone on this forum to switch to Tamiya 1/12 Motorcycles and get rid of all of their planes, then we could change the site name to LSM.

Those Tamiya 1/12 bike kits are some of the most fun you can have in the world of modeling!

Build one if you haven't!

46 minutes ago, ringleheim said:

Those Tamiya 1/12 bike kits are some of the most fun you can have in the world of modeling!

Build one if you haven't!

Tamiya has a long history of amazing Motorcycle kits.  I really believe the motorcycles are the foundation of Tamiya becoming what it is now as you can see early on in their bike kits they went for a level of detail no one could touch.  I believe these kits were a real factor that lead to the Tamiya 1/32 LSP’s we have today as they had to do those engines and details within a precise framework of a motorycle and it’s frame and or fairings.  

Good conversation

Of course 32 is better but unfortunately  now i think 35 for rotary is as rule.

But to the other hand many 32 scale models are so inaccurate that 35 good helicopter will look much closer to scale to be honest.   

1/35 for helicopters if they belong to Army units, 1/32 for those who are in Air Forces !!!
e.g. in France, helicopters are in ALAT (Aviation Légère de l'Armée de Terre) because they operate with ground troops, so 1/35 !

The difference between 1/32 and 1/35 is negligeable and invisible. Most armor kits builders use 54mm figurines with their tanks, and those figurines are closer to 1/32 than 1/35. Many kits have inaccurate length (1mm to 5mm sometimes, so 1/32 or 1/35..., maybe they are 1/30 or 1/34...

Well, I have yet to understand how a difference of 9% can be invisible! As soon as you compare the same item in both scales, this is jumping to the face. I'm remembering the M16 rifles in the Verlinden sets (I mentioned above) intended to detail vehicles in which you had the plastic version. The difference is not nil, believe me!

We will have to live with this but this does not simplify the life of the modeller and as soon as you are modelling in both scales, you simply end doubling items in both scales.

Put side by side a 50mm figure and a 54mm one and this will somewhat remind you the Twins movie with De vito and Schwarzeneger!