4-8-8-4

LSP_K2

If bigger is better, then

!

Charles Metz

Pretty cool for sure. After acquiring this kit, I got so enthused that I started looking for a G scale version. BIG mistake! $3,000.00, (and up)!

I decided I could live without it.

:)

If bigger is better, then

!

Charles Metz

Thanks Charles. the model really gives out a decent amount of steam, which is good.

Unfortunately, some jackass put music with it. :angry2: Railroad enthusiasts, especially steamers, want to hear the sounds of the steam locomotive, not some jerk singing a stupid song. Just like airplane enthusiasts want to hear the roar of the Spitfire buzzing the field, not some pimply youth singing about it.

As long as I am in a grumpy mood, apparently, I might remark that the triplexes really did not work very well and most were soon converted back to a regular mallet and the extra set of drivers made over into a 2-8-2, usually.

The problem was that the engine could never produce enough steam for all three sets of cylinders, especially when pushing a heavy load uphill. It was a good idea which did not work out very well in practice. :(

But in terms of looks and sound, with three sets of cylinders barking independently, these engines were magnificent. :D

Again, thanks for the link. Much appreciated. If I can ever overcome the effects of the recession I may cobble up my own version of a triplex in G gauge. One can buy the Aristocraft 2-8-8-2 in 1/29 scale for under $500. A couple of those and a saw and some glue, well, my own triplex. Or even a quadriplex? Or a triplex and make the extra set of wheels into the U.S. Military 2-8-0 that we sent over there in WW1. It can pull the US 14" navel railroad gun train that we sent over to France in 1918 (RR gun kit available from Combat Models). One can get a sound card that is modifiable and who knows? Toot toot.

Stephen

• 1 month later...

Hey, what do you know,... progress! The remainder of ballast added.

w2DSCI.jpg

Painted, (first color). Glue still wet.

ZkS8Wt.jpg

Several shades of grey now painted. Shed needs more work or I'd paint it tonight too. Tie pile stained.

xrgw6Z.jpg

On 12/21/2010 at 1:47 AM, Youngtiger1 said:

Now this is cool subject. I like the idea a lot. A quick question, what is ballast?

Mike

Ballast (rocks) are what's used by railroads under the sleepers (ties), to form a roadbed that drains easily and distributes the massive weight of the train. In a railyard (like my base is depicting), the tracks and surrounding areas are sometimes completely covered with ballast.

6a8yVX.png

The ballast, small rocks or large gravel, also keeps the tries (sleepers) from moving about by the action of the rain, snow, ice, etc. and by the vibration of the passing trains. The vibrations tend to make the gravel settle down into a more compact mass and that why you can see a fresh load of ballast dumped between the rails on occasion.

In the United States the Class 1 railroads are starting to change over to cast concrete ties as they last longer than the creosoted treated wood ties. They are also changing over to continuous welded tail, instead of many short lengths (39 feet in length). Thus the old clackety-clack of the wheels as they pass over the gaps in the track is disappearing from the railroad scene. By the way, cast concrete sleepers have been used in Europe starting before WW2. It just took the USA some 40-50 years to catch up with the idea.

Stephen

On 12/21/2010 at 3:18 PM, ssculptor said:

They are also changing over to continuous welded tail, instead of many short lengths (39 feet in length). Thus the old clackety-clack of the wheels as they pass over the gaps in the track is disappearing from the railroad scene.

Stephen

How utterly sad. That sound has been synonymous with trains since I was a boy, and was always music to me. 

Progress;... yea right.

How utterly sad. That sound has been synonymous with trains since I was a boy, and was always music to me. :(

Progress;... yea right.

What I really liked was sleeping on a train listening to the sounds.

In the 1990's I took a train from Connecticut to Chicago because I have grown to detest sitting in a cramped flying bus.

Back then they still had the roomette, which was a small room where two people could sit facing each other with a table between. At night the porter converted everything to two beds. I took it as a single and at night I laid there, in my own private roomette, listening to the clacking as the wheels hit each track. I could see the lights of the towns and stations flashing by as the train sped across the countryside. That and the gentle rocking of the train soon lulled one into a very pleasant sleep. It was the best part of my trip.

Many years before I had taken my new wife on a trip across Connecticut to Mass. It was a day trip but the train still had a real dining car. With fine linen on the tables, a crystal vase with a fresh rose in it, heavy silverware and the railroad plates and cups. A liveried waiter took our order and we sat there watching the countryside through the wide picture window as we rode in a pleasant, slightly swaying comfort and ate a good meal.

Screw the airlines, those were the good old days!

Stephen, gimmie a wagon train any time!