4-8-8-4

LSP_K2

A bit off the beaten path perhaps, but another of my many passions is the Union Pacific 4-8-8-4 "Big Boy" steam locomotive. I have begun preliminary work this week. Fortunately for me, No 4006, the seventh Big Boy produced, and the subject of the markings in this kit, is located about three miles from my house. I'll be adding some handrails to dress it up a bit; that's about all the kit needs to do what I want. Finished kit will be roughly 18" long!

WJzDHH.jpg

Preliminary base layout.

2IQidH.jpg

I've been busy (mostly at work!), working on my kit, which according to all my limited references seems to be pretty darned accurate. I did recently order this DVD, just for inspiration. http://www.amazon.com/Pentrex-Union-Pacific-Big-Collection/dp/B000OI8BSQ Also, in my idle time, I've been busy as a little beaver acquiring more "in action" reference photos. This is one of my favorites so far, from westernrailimages.com. As is typical, Fair Use terms and conditions are applicable.

rJGt9c.jpg

I am deeply into G gauge model railroading, unfortunately. This is the large scale that we run out of doors.

The gauge of the track, distance between the rails, is 1 3/4 inches, but several companies put out differing scale rolling stock for this track. It drives the fine scale modelers nutz. It is kinda fun to see them running screaming out of the yard, hop into their cars and head for the nearest tavern. Heh heh. I am now working on the layout but I intend to run trains of only one scale at a time. Marklin in Europe runs #1 scale, which is 1/32 scale. I'll be running my military trains of 1/35 scale with 1/32 goodies.

Then we have 1/29 scale (don't ask me where they got that one!) which is very popular in G gauge. Lots of modern US trains in that scale. Next we have some 1/24 scale but a lot of 1/22.5 by LGB and Bachmann. Bachmann also has 1/20.3 scale stuff. Confused yet? I know my head has been swimming for quite a few years now with all this diversity.

But, getting to my point, finally, almost, There are almost no kits at all in G gauge. Everything comes built up and skill is getting it out of the box and onto the track without breaking anything.

But they do have some fine big engines.

I have the Mallet, a 2-8-8-2 articulated engine, a slightly bit smaller than the Big Boy. Prices run from $400 on desperate-keep-us-from-going-out-of-business sales up to about $900 for guys who must pay retail. Silly boys.

Here is a picture. post-321-1287688163.jpg

The only craft is in making the layout and scratch building or kit-bashing the rolling stock.

Personally, my favorite engine is the old Erie RR 2-8-8-2 which were used for assisting long heavy coal trains over the hills in PA around 1900 or so.

So I have been accumulating parts to convert the Aristo mallet to the Erie camelback mallet. I'll probably use copper for the body and solder on the parts I need, the piping, etc. Somehow I'll have to build up the front cylinders which were the older slide valve type. Having the cab in the middle (named camelback) was necessitated by the extra wide Wooten firebox needed to burn the hard anthracite coal. So they put the cabs around the middle of the boiler of the engine. When finished this will look great hauling a long train of war material like tanks, trucks, artillery, RR guns and maybe a disassembled airplane on flat cars. We can put sound effects in these engines now and run them by Radio Control.

Here is a picture of one in O gauge (1/48) but it shows the early 0-8-8-0 which was rebuilt later into the 2-8-8-2

Wish me luck.

Stephen

I spent a couple of hours at the transportation museum today, photographing No. 4006. One thing that is mysteriously absent from Revell kit are the doors into the pilot house; this has been addressed, as well as adding a few other small bits. Backhead has been painted a dark grey as per the museum example as well as other references I have. Pilot house interior painted "ghastly green".

yrHtbM.jpg

I received my DVD a couple of days ago; good stuff. All 25 Alco Big Boys are featured "in action", mostly in Wyoming. Very interesting stuff for those so inclined. I can easily recommend it to any big steam enthusiast.

lTae9m.jpg

Floor area of cab finished; at least as finished as it's going to get. Seats have large gouges in the back OOB, I made no attempt to correct.

6yAXsx.jpg

Backhead detail painted and given a skanky dark grey wash. None of this will be able to be seen most likely.

sCSfLO.jpg

In order to install backhead, I thought it a wise idea to spray cab exterior first after masking windows from inside; this has been done, using Gunze tire black. I really like the look of the basic color, it just feels right to me. Several other shades of black/very dark grey will be added later to give some three-dimensional "life" to model, (I hope)

O2tfqg.jpg

Slowly but surely. The base has now been made; 3/4” plywood w/iron on walnut veneer, 6-3/4” x 20”, track section has had ballast area given first (of many), coats of paint. There will be a small shed in the lower right foreground, a pile of ties in the upper left background, (not altogether unusual in rail yards).

oSIY4n.jpg